[SOLVED] Again with the shared folder through a home network

For Windows 7 do you still need to enable the guest account on these shares? Personally I haven't dealt with windows in so long since Linux has been my primary OS for many years.

Ok , I tried this with a windows xp computer and connected right away,

so the issue must be with windows 7 ..

Is there any way to share a folder on windows xp that isn't on the root of C:\ ,

Like a external hard drive let's say g:\movies and still cconnect to the Pandora using gigolo? Bud

Ok , I tried this with a windows xp computer and connected right away,

so the issue must be with windows 7 ..
yeah i'm pretty sure this is what i've posted above with the "windows live sign in assistant"

Is there any way to share a folder on windows xp that isn't on the root of C:\ ,

Like a external hard drive let's say g:\movies and still cconnect to the Pandora using gigolo? Bud
sure browse to the folder you want to mount, right click and say properties and then "sharing" ... dont have xp currently so, cant help any further, but shouldnt be difficult.

sharing external hard-drives is a bit more cumbersome, but i've already done so.

you need an autorun file that shares a folder when attached to the system. will post a sample tonite since i don't have it here right now.

*edit*

for the external hard drive you want to automatically share some folders when you plug it in:

create a file in the root of your hard disk namedautorun.inf with following contents:

Code:
[autorun]

shellexecute=g:\share-add.bat

label=Share Folders

action=Share Folders

then create a file in the root of your hard disk named share-add.bat with the following contents:

Code:
@echo off

@net share movies=g:\movies

this will do the following: when you plug your hard disk in, the autorun.inf should get executed (or the autorun dialog will pop up, depends) and this executes the share-add.bat file which again just shares the movies folder.

if you want more folders shared automatically just add another line

Code:
@net share name_of_share=<drive>:\path\to\folder\to\share

you might need to exchange g:\ to something else - namely the drive letter the system assigns to your hard disk - which is mostly the same.

thats all what is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I'd add an off-the-wall crazy solution to this.

Skip samba. Install Linux on all of the machines in question. Then use ssh server and sshfs to create the connections.

It might sound impractical, but it works rather nicely.

This topic can be marked as resolved /fixed

the program - gigolo works as it should

my problem exists in win7 as stated above and I have not found a fix

so I am currently hooked up to win xp and everything is working..

Thanks for all the help and support..Bud

This topic can be marked as resolved /fixed

the program - gigolo works as it should

my problem exists in win7 as stated above and I have not found a fix

so I am currently hooked up to win xp and everything is working..

Thanks for all the help and support..Bud

well i'm sure it's the problem many of us have because of "windows live sign-in assistant".

there's a samba fix out there specifically for that: https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7577

I know I'm late to the party, but I've been succesful sharing folders from my Win7 PC to my Pandora and thought I would list my settings incase someone finds them useful.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium, so no group policy changes. I've also managed to avoid installing Windows Live Sign-in Assistant at any point so I can't say categorically wether that makes any diffference.

In Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings I turned off password protected sharing. I think this is the only important setting here, but i'll list the others just in case:

• Network discovery on
  • File and printer sharing on
  • public folder sharing off
  • Media streaming is off
  • Use 128-bit encryption
  • Allow Windows to manage homegroup (though this is redundant as i dont have a homegroup setup)

I shared folders using the simple "Share.." dialog and gave "Everybody" read permission. I'm sure the same thing could be accomplished through "Advanced Sharing.." if you want to share a whole drive.

Finally, I added the wireless network IP of the Pandora to my firewall's list of trusted adapters. I'm using Bitdefender, so Windows Firewall is completely turned off. This was the crucial change for me as without it Gigolo would request a password after giving it all the other "windows share" details, and then fail to connect after a long wait. With the Pandora on the trusted apaters list I only need to add the name of the pc and the shared folder and Gigolo would connect immediatly. I'm guessing that with the adapter blocked, Gigolo recieves no response when it requests access to the share and assumes it is password protected rather than fail then and there.

yeah for one it's not windows. Linux uses Samba to connect to windows based shares and isn't as intuitive and doesn't seem to be built into Pandora's file manager like others are..

I can't remember the name of it, but somewhere there is a windows share / network share management tool out there.. But if you don't mind the good old command line method I have the trick.

The first two steps you only need to do once.

1) first make a directory to mount your windows share.. The MOUNT_DIR name can be anything you like.. I'm just not that creative:

sudo mkdir /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

2) Next give your regular pandora account permission to use that directory:
Code:
sudo chown USER_NAME.USER_NAME /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

3) This is the connection command, I've made a shortcut to do this command so I don't have to type it out every time.. Depending on how moody your network is you may need to Substitute the host name with the IP address of the computer your connecting to. If everything goes well you will not see any messages, Just go to the /mnt/MOUNT_DIR and you should see your files.

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=guest,password= //HOSTNAME/SHARENAME /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

To disconnect the mount:

sudo umount /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

This is the convoluted way, but it works.. Maybe someone can chime in with that PND I was talking about.
This command to connect to a Samba share doesn't work. I edited it appropriately, and it mounts OK, but I can't copy anything from the share, it says permissions denied no matter what, even if I'm root.

Gigolo insist on a password, even though the share has none, and when I click connect, the password window keeps showing up.

Back