Can No Longer Connect To Network

Azure

Trust the recursion...
**SOLVED; See Post #3**

So, I used to be able to connect to my wireless network at home just fine, but all of a sudden it doesn't seem to work anymore (it worked fine with the latest hotfix for a little while, so I'm not sure if that caused it; only tinkering I've done really has been adding psx & n64 emulators/roms). Upon bootup I get a message saying:

Enter password for default keyring to unlock

The application 'NetworkManager Applet' (/usr/bin/nm-applet) wants access to the default keyring, but it is locked.
Password: __________
I enter the password for my network (I initially thought it was asking for my Pandora password, but that didn't do anything) and then it tries to connect to the default network but it can never get past the authentication screen (which looks different than the above):

Authentication required by wireless network

Passwords or encryption keys are required to access the wireless network 'XXXXXXXXX'.

Wireless security: WPA & WPA2 Personal (only option)
Password:

I can never get past this screen & I'm positive I'm entering my network password correctly...any ideas as to what may be wrong? It's really frustrating having waited years for my Pandora but still being unable to use it due to buggy software (or, god forbid, "buggy" hardware...). I've tried switching WiFi on/off but that didn't work (and the LED also apparently doesn't come back on). Maybe I've misunderstood this keyring business?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Azure said:
So, I used to be able to connect to my wireless network at home just fine, but all of a sudden it doesn't seem to work anymore (it worked fine with the latest hotfix for a little while, so I'm not sure if that caused it; only tinkering I've done really has been adding psx & n64 emulators/roms). Upon bootup I get a message saying:

Enter password for default keyring to unlock

The application 'NetworkManager Applet' (/usr/bin/nm-applet) wants access to the default keyring, but it is locked.
Password: __________
I enter the password for my network (I initially thought it was asking for my Pandora password, but that didn't do anything) and then it tries to connect to the default network but it can never get past the authentication screen (which looks different than the above):

Authentication required by wireless network

Passwords or encryption keys are required to access the wireless network 'XXXXXXXXX'.

Wireless security: WPA & WPA2 Personal (only option)
Password:

I can never get past this screen & I'm positive I'm entering my network password correctly...any ideas as to what may be wrong? It's really frustrating having waited years for my Pandora but still being unable to use it due to buggy software (or, god forbid, "buggy" hardware...). I've tried switching WiFi on/off but that didn't work (and the LED also apparently doesn't come back on). Maybe I've misunderstood this keyring business?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if the keyring is causing your problem or not, but people had trouble with it earlier. I don't remember which topic it is, but in one of the topics here someone mentioned what file you needed to delete to get rid of the keyring. It would then ask you for a keyring the next time you chose to use WiFi, and if you left it blank, it would assume that you didn't want to password protect it, and all was well.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I saw that thread, particularly this post:
puppydee said:
mvickers03 said:
paddy said:
Hi SteveM did you do the update fix yet ? and have you set a default pass for the keyring ,sorry didn't notice you had other problems already with pnd's so you would have done the fix ,my suggestion would be to remove the keyring pass or config it to auto connect with same pass always ,this worked for me but mabe your settings are different.

Also if you reflash your unit i would opt out of the keyring feature.

How do you remove the keyring password mate I can't find were to change it :)

You need to go into Terminal and type the following
Code:
rm ~/.gnome2/keyrings/default.keyring
Then I rebooted my machine and when it starts up and asks for the default keyring leave it blank and just click create, I think it asks then if you want to leave it unsecure to which I picked yes so now when it boots up it doesn't ask you for the password anymore. Hope this helps :)

I was just hesitant to mess with these sorts of things if it's not the problem (I don't want to have to go through the trouble of re-flashing & re-configuring things as I've had to do it before with the software being buggy as it is...o_O). But I guess I could give it a shot.

EDIT: This did the trick! I have no idea why it suddenly became a problem though...but as long as it works...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back