[SOLVED] Again with the shared folder through a home network

budweiser

GP32 Hardcore
now on my home network I have 4 pc's , 2 laptops , and the open pandora.

now on any computer we can type " \\Budweiser-hp\m " in any open folder or internet address bar and get to a shared multimedia hard drive ..

there is no password on the folder it just pups up instantly on all computer EXCEPT the pandora , is there something I'm missing? Bud

yeah for one it's not windows. Linux uses Samba to connect to windows based shares and isn't as intuitive and doesn't seem to be built into Pandora's file manager like others are..

I can't remember the name of it, but somewhere there is a windows share / network share management tool out there.. But if you don't mind the good old command line method I have the trick.

The first two steps you only need to do once.

1) first make a directory to mount your windows share.. The MOUNT_DIR name can be anything you like.. I'm just not that creative:

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

2) Next give your regular pandora account permission to use that directory:

Code:
sudo chown USER_NAME.USER_NAME /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

3) This is the connection command, I've made a shortcut to do this command so I don't have to type it out every time.. Depending on how moody your network is you may need to Substitute the host name with the IP address of the computer your connecting to. If everything goes well you will not see any messages, Just go to the /mnt/MOUNT_DIR and you should see your files.

Code:
sudo mount -t cifs -o username=guest,password=  //HOSTNAME/SHARENAME /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

To disconnect the mount:

Code:
sudo umount /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

This is the convoluted way, but it works.. Maybe someone can chime in with that PND I was talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it, Someone really needs to up that to the official repo..

Ah It's built onto the firmware... I guess I never really saw it in there before.. Was it always bundled with the firmware?

Well I gave a few good command line lessons.

Been working bundled since HF5. It was there before but buggy,

everytime I try to use gigolo I put in the server name and the share folder name , then a window pops up

" Password required for share temp on 10.0.05 "

I assure you there is no password on the windows computer share folder , and it is not my Pandoras password..

no matter what password I try to enter in the password box it will not connect..

Thanks Bud :)

Try using guest as a username with no password?

yeah for one it's not windows. Linux uses Samba to connect to windows based shares and isn't as intuitive and doesn't seem to be built into Pandora's file manager like others are..

I can't remember the name of it, but somewhere there is a windows share / network share management tool out there.. But if you don't mind the good old command line method I have the trick.

The first two steps you only need to do once.

1) first make a directory to mount your windows share.. The MOUNT_DIR name can be anything you like.. I'm just not that creative:

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

2) Next give your regular pandora account permission to use that directory:

Code:
sudo chown USER_NAME.USER_NAME /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

3) This is the connection command, I've made a shortcut to do this command so I don't have to type it out every time.. Depending on how moody your network is you may need to Substitute the host name with the IP address of the computer your connecting to. If everything goes well you will not see any messages, Just go to the /mnt/MOUNT_DIR and you should see your files.

Code:
sudo mount -t cifs -o username=guest,password=  //HOSTNAME/SHARENAME /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

To disconnect the mount:

Code:
sudo umount /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

This is the convoluted way, but it works.. Maybe someone can chime in with that PND I was talking about.

I'm getting stuck here sudo mount -t cifs -o username=guest,password= //HOSTNAME/SHARENAME /mnt/MOUNT_DIR

my windows share folder is C:\share

my computer name is Budweiser-hp

my ip is 10.0.0.5 I believe

(IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.5

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1 )

, my pandora name is bud (if I open terminal its bud-openpandora )

there is no password on windows computer

pandora password=1

Please help me get connected..Bud

Try using guest as a username with no password?

No Luck with guest

the box text reads by default

" Password required for share share on 10.0.0.5

Username - "bud" shows up automaticly

Domain- "MYGROUP" shows up automaticly

password(blank)

forget password immediatly (i need to put a answer for one of theese )

remeberpassword until logout (i need to put a answer for one of theese )

remember password forever (i need to put a answer for one of theese )

the there is a cancel and connect box

when I connect it is just a endless loop

Thanks Bud

for \\Budweiser-hp\m

try

Gigolo Connect

Service type: Windows Share

Server: Budweiser-hp

Share: m

[everything else blank]

Hit Connect?

Still get a password prompt?

I just did this from my b1.1 pandora to my laptop with an open XP share.

Should see a blue folder with a network jack icon indicating the share.

for \\Budweiser-hp\m

try

Gigolo Connect

Service type: Windows Share

Server: Budweiser-hp

Share: m

[everything else blank]

Hit Connect?

Still get a password prompt?

I just did this from my b1.1 pandora to my laptop with an open XP share.

Should see a blue folder with a network jack icon indicating the share.

yes still a password prompt

Edit : I also have a shared folder called share ( C:\share)

No luck with that folder eighter

Thanks for all the help on this , I would love to be able to connect to this folder ....

Turn off password protected sharing?:

35403d1257561054-windows-7-network-password-issue-ghfg.png

password sharing is off

Edit : my Wii also picks up both shared location to stream movies

So it's got to be something simple

I don't have a Windows 7 pc handy but I recall having to do something like this at work to share between a Linux box and 7:

“On the Windows 7 machine, in the Group Policy Editor, in the Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options folder, set the “Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level” value to “Send LM & NTLM – use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated”.

I'll try moving the shared folder to a windows xp pro computer, and see if that helps

Back