Does Gigolo still works with Windows 7 shared folders ?

PowerGod

Forum Addict!
I can't anymore access my Windows 7 shared folders with Gigolo, like I was doing 3 months ago... the only things that changed in the meantime are a reflash+update of the Pandora, nothing changed on my PC... so I was wondering if anyone has the same problem

My Windows 7 share configuration is like this (made only for the Pandora):

I created a new user with password (cause my main user doesn't have it) and I shared the folders needed with access rights for this user.

And then I hide this new user from the Windows login screen, so my PC start with my main user without asking, but I still can access the shared folders with the other user.

This configuration always worked well with Gigolo, giving the IP, shared folder, workgroup, user and password.... but now it keeps telling me

"Error mounting location: Failed to mount Windows share"

I also tried from the terminal:

$ gvfs-mount smb://username@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/sharedfolder

then it asked for domain and password and gave the same error above...

I tried to find info on Google, but there were too much... mainly people complaining about my same problem, but with many Linux distributions... and a lot of open bugs.... but those people were never been able to connect to the shared folders

so the thing that I can't understand is WHY it was working and now it doesn't work anymore ?! I'm not able to find decent logs or useful error messages...

Last edited by a moderator:
Same problem as pmprog with old Samba vs. Windows Live Assistant over in this thread?

I read that discussion before but I was just sure I never installed that thing... but now, looking at the programs I have I see this "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant" installed 24/12/2012... alongside Microsoft Games for Windows live...

I'll try to uninstall it then... but I have to say bye bye to "Batman: Arkham" series then... :(

EDIT: uninstalled it but nothing changed :(

I can tell you it still works with connecting to other Samba shares and shares on my old Windows 98 PC I use for 3DFX only games.. It's most likely on the Windows side of things..

I can tell you it still works with connecting to other Samba shares and shares on my old Windows 98 PC I use for 3DFX only games.. It's most likely on the Windows side of things..
Thanks, anyway I was curious specifically about Windows 7, just to know if there's someone who has it working or is broke for everyone...

Found that the first time I tried without "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant" I used the wrong IP... so I tried again for three times in a row to uninstall/reinstall that program and you know what ?!

"Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant" it's indeed THE ISSUE !!

Without it Gigolo has no problems to connect to shared folders !! (But indeed without that program installed I can't play most "Games for Windows"...)

So seems we still have this SAMBA BUG here...

Is it really so old our Gigolo (or Samba) version ? Is it possible to update it ?

I asked that here. So I've taken it the other way, and make my Pandora the network share, and use the desktop to copy files to and from the Pandora

Yeah, I've read that, but I prefere to have access to the PC cause it has a lot of more space and files that I need to access but that must remains there.

I don't know how difficult should be to update SAMBA, but because this is an already corrected bug it should be included in one of the updates.

There are other ways to connect to a Windows 7 PC, but Gigolo is the most simple, it's not good to leave it that way.

biggest problem was microsoft essentials
Is it a mistake or did you really had problems even with Microsoft Essentials ?

In the thread you pointed I just see issue about "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant"

Yeah, I've read that, but I prefere to have access to the PC cause it has a lot of more space and files that I need to access but that must remains there.
I agree, and I'd prefer it that way around too, but until then, that's best I've got. I can't remove Windows Live ID Sign-In Assistant, it stops me from playing SSFIV :(

In the thread you pointed I just see issue about "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant"
I had to uninstall Microsoft essentials- this was for sure a real problem....

Sorry I can't be more help .. It's been awhile and I since upgraded to win8... Bud

I had to uninstall Microsoft essentials- this was for sure a real problem....

Sorry I can't be more help .. It's been awhile and I since upgraded to win8... Bud
That's strange, cause I have it installed but it doesn't give me problems, maybe it was patched in someway in the meantime

Back