SoC: Back and forth!

Don't forget the interchangeable CPU modules.

It could be available as an upgrade at some point

Don't forget the interchangeable CPU modules.

It could be available as an upgrade at some point
I don't think it's worth it. By the time the Pyra is out and some time has passed so a new SoC module could be used (after development of the current one has been paid, I guess), there will be a newer, better SoC to use.

Allwinner is currently running a sale on the Optimusboard for $130. Only until Sunday though. I am really, really tempted but then I think I need to save my money for a Pyra.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realized that "Imagination" is a company, but I couldn't help snicker at that sentence.

Call up raspberry pi foundation and ask them if they have some Broadcom BCM2836 lying around. Quadcore Armv7+ NEON + Opensource GPU driver .... As many gpio as you can shake a stick at, backwards compatibility, huge enthusiast community && future proof portability?

Call up raspberry pi foundation and ask them if they have some Broadcom BCM2836 lying around. Quadcore Armv7+ NEON + Opensource GPU driver .... As many gpio as you can shake a stick at, backwards compatibility, huge enthusiast community && future proof portability?
No. WAY too low end.

Anyway, the work making the thing is already in its late stages, it's not changing now.

No. WAY too low end.

Anyway, the work making the thing is already in its late stages, it's not changing now.
Since the pyra's cpu is on a module platform not unlike the rbpi's "compute" module maybe this can serve as a lower-cost option for those who dont want/cant afford the 500-700 euro price tag of the high end OMAP model?

Since the pyra's cpu is on a module platform not unlike the rbpi's "compute" module maybe this can serve as a lower-cost option for those who dont want/cant afford the 500-700 euro price tag of the high end OMAP model?
The maximum savings would be a couple dozen dollars or so, but in practice it'd be hard to realize because it'd move too little volume to recuperate the cost of the second design.

Is the current cpu module backwards compatible with rbpi's "compute module"? The reason I ask is because it seems like a rbpi2 version is in the works and if they keep the same price point (as they did with the pi2) then it would sell for about $30USD

Is the current cpu module backwards compatible with rbpi's "compute module"?
nope (and wouldn't backwards compatibility imply that there was some common ground beforehand?)

Is the CPU module pinout for the Pyra documented somewhere?

Thanks

Back