So Where Are We On The Roadmap

'mali' said:
EvilDragon said:
Verpackung KANN kommen, muss aber nicht :)
Anleitung will ich auf jeden Fall eine machen - und wenn auch im Notfall nur als PDF :)

Geplante Auslieferung ist 4 - 6 Wochen nach Beginn der Massenproduktion, die beginnt, wenn CE und FCC fertig ist, und das beginnt, wenn das Gehäuse endlich da ist :)
Wir versuchen gerade noch, den Chinesen ein wenig in den Hintern zu treten, da durch das chinesische Neujahr natürlich ein bisschen Arbeit liegengeblieben ist und es länger dauert ;)

Wir hoffen aber, dass wir in der nächsten Woche mehr wissen oder das Gehäuse sogar bekommen.
Free Translation said:
[custom]boxing may come, but not necessarily :)
I definitely want to make a manual - even if only as PDF version :)
The planned delivery date is 4-6 weeks after beginning of mass production, that will start after CE and FCC is made, which will be made after the CNC case is available :)
Right now we are trying to hurry on the Chinese producers of the CNC case, because some work has been slowed down by the Chinese New Year;)
We hope we will know more in the next week and maybe even get the case.
Reference Link:CODE
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?p=79470#p79470
So in short this means April/May.
CODE
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=46367&st=30

we also have EvilDragon saying:

'EvilDragon' said:
Holy crap, if every blog post I do starts turning into a "oooh, will that delay everything more" or "April? March? February?"-Thread, I shouldn't do more blog posting...

Final date should NOT be delayed by the chinese new year, as the mass production of the boards will probably take longer than the cases anyways.
Personally I am getting sick and tired of "it won't be delayed, honest, will you stop saying it might be delayed?" followed by "It was delayed". I wish they'd get their act together, seriously!

Last edited by a moderator:
hmmm, i clearly remember hearing back in august/september: "We will not take preorders before we are sure they will be delivered/made in 2 months"

Pushing to 7/8 months now.. <_<

Aaaanyway, still here for the ride.

'Monk' said:
Personally I am getting sick and tired of "it won't be delayed, honest, will you stop saying it might be delayed?" followed by "It was delayed". I wish they'd get their act together, seriously!
I wince when I read bombshells about delays just casually dropped in posts (see Craig's the other day about 'parts delayed') without elaboration.

'_VWV_' said:
How long will it take to pass through these tests?
I posted recently a link to the CE site that says 3-6 weeks is the norm. Could be less, ED seemed to think so. Could be more. Much the same for FCC.

The Power supply also requires this approval, so if it's not an off-the-shelf pre-approved item that could be worth bearing in mind.

'Asmo' said:
'Monk' said:
I wince when I read bombshells about delays just casually dropped in posts (see Craig's the other day about 'parts delayed') without elaboration.

What, when he said:
'craigix' said:
That depends on a few parts which are running late, it's hard to know because of that.
?? Yeah, I guess. It seems to me that we were told that they have all the parts at one point, but I also get told not to be so LITERAL so :shrug. I'm just a simple guy, I like things that are said simply :D and remain true weeks and months later!

It's all about definition. When you have call-off orders it's hard to tell, if you can say you have the parts or not. Just an assumption by me, though ;)

'mali' said:
It's all about definition.
I'd like 1080p when attached to my telly, but I'll have to live with Svido. Err..

'mali' said:
When you have call-off orders it's hard to tell, if you can say you have the parts or not. Just an assumption by me, though ;)
Well, if I have to be SERIOUS for a second I'd say youy're probably half right, and the other half is me being wrong (or if I indulge in a little potential face-saving perhaps I should say "interpreting" things I'm told and then remembering not what I'm told, but how I interpreted it). For example, maybe they said they'd PAID for everything... which also isn't the same as having it all in-hand, as it were. There's a degree of wriggle room for a lot of stuff on all sides. I just wish there were less wriggle room (clearer communications) and more consistency. Well, no - actually I wish I had a :pandora1: but failing THAT I'd like less room for wriggling/interpretation and more consistency :D If delays occur (or WHEN, as delays are quite fond of this project) then I'd really like them to be for things that the community didn't predict in advance only to be told it's unlikely to be an issue.

I thought Chip said CE/FCC wouldn"t delay delivery?

Chip said:
"FCC testing will probably happen after the CNC case shows up. As I've said before, the prototype needs to be really final before it can be submitted.

Luckily, FCC testing isn't required for "import" items, so however long testing takes, it will not slow down the first batch at all."
Alright so this is a tentative updated roadmap until we get a little more information:

Feb 20th - CNC Case arrived and has been assembled and tested.
Feb 27th - CNC case arrives at CE/FCC testing location and starts tests.
Apr 10th - Pandora is approved from CE/FCC. Manufacturing is started
May 22nd - Shipping of assembled Pandora's begins.

'Phawx' said:
Alright so this is a tentative updated roadmap until we get a little more information:

What if they are risky guys and believe in their ability to do things?
It could look like this:

Feb 20th - Manufacturing is started
Apr 01th - Shipping of assembled Pandora's begins.

EDIT: OFCOURSE!! It is 1st and not 1th.
I just copy and pasted the list from Phawx and replaced the digits in a hurry.
I don't know if the english or americans make erros like that, but in germany you learn it correctly in the 5th or 6th year. :)

'Creature XL' said:
'Phawx' said:

What if they are risky guys and believe in their ability to do things?
It could look like this:

Feb 20th - Manufacturing is started
Apr 01th - Shipping of assembled Pandora's begins.

When I posed the same question, Chip implied they were so confident in the design that they were going mass production before CE/FCC testing was complete, so yes, that has the potential to be accurate.

'Creature XL' said:
I've seen this a lot on this forum, people saying 1th instead of 1st, 2th instead of 2nd and 3th instead of 3rd. Is it an in-joke I've missed, or an Americanism or something?
I realise that it might just be that you're all barmy, so no offence intended :D

'clippa' said:
''Creature XL'' said:
I've seen this a lot on this forum, people saying 1th instead of 1st, 2th instead of 2nd and 3th instead of 3rd. Is it an in-joke I've missed, or an Americanism or something?
I realise that it might just be that you're all barmy, so no offence intended :D

I thought it was a "UK" thing. Like how you guys say Maths.

@CXL

Yea, that's why I put tentative before I said anything. Going ahead with manufacturing before CE/FCC Approval would be very risky though...wouldnt it? The reason they needed everyone to do Bank Transfer/ MO is because they didn't have the money to produce the Pandora's without our money.

So, I don't think it very wise that they would go ahead with that course of action. Though, I am not one of the Devs and I hope they reveal a little bit more information because the translated info from Mali is ambiguous at best.

*** I also should note that I didn't really give much of leeway for the CNC case. If I pushed that out an extra week, we are looking at May 29th - June 5th

'Phawx' said:
Yea, that's why I put tentative before I said anything. Going ahead with manufacturing before CE/FCC Approval would be very risky though...wouldnt it? The reason they needed everyone to do Bank Transfer/ MO is because they didn't have the money to produce the Pandora's without our money.
Not sure why it would be risky - since they are not based in the US they do not actually have to get approval.

Alright how bout this for a delivery estimate.

Either

First Week of April (FCC-CE testing be damned)

or

First Week of June (FCC-CE Testing verified)

This is of course if everything goes according to plan. We've all seen the FDM case and it works very well. I have high hopes that the CNC with Final Keymat will fit perfectly, which will be the last prototype.

Of course when we all see the final keymat, I'm sure everyone will be very excited again. So hopefully this week we can see *something* that shows good signs.

Otherwise, this will give them some more time to iron out the OS a bit more. Ubuntu 9.04 will be out April and maybe we can see other boards making use of it, possibly the beagle board.

Who knows. This whole project has been very exhausting, but work has picked up at my place so it passes the time. Plus there is a ton of games I still need to manage to play somehow.

Sigh.

'Tom`' said:
'Phawx' said:

Not sure why it would be risky - since they are not based in the US they do not actually have to get approval.
If they don't need approval. Why do it?

It's a mistake because everything beyond 1st, 2nd and 3rd is followed by "th" so people just get used to using it and forget the first 3 have a different suffix.

I recalled Chip's suggestion as well. The first batch will likely go out before FCC CE testing is done because they expect that everything contained in the pandora is already preaproved and should sail through the process so why hold things up.

But this is assuming the CNC cases fit together properly in which case they can instantly order the final cases, which is also assuming they have the money to pay for them from people sending in their money.

'Phawx' said:
If they don't need approval. Why do it?
Perhaps - and this is just a guess, because I am not familiar with the requirements - but if a store based in the US wanted to sell them, I would assume the US store would then be responsible for getting approval. This would be a deterrent to sales, so it would be in the best interest of OP to get approval themselves. This would not be relevant until at least the second batch, maybe the third, so there is no reason to rush into the approval process.

Let's hope this is the case. I would like my Pandora sooner rather than later.

One of the posts that threw me is this one:
'Chip' said:
It's more to keep a close eye on the manufacturing process and tweak it where necessary than anything else. We already have all the necessary parts, but we can't afford to re-do huge numbers of boards if there is an issue. That's why we're doing them in smaller batches.

We already have a test program that will verify whether a board is "good" or not before it gets flashed and assembled so any boards that do have problems can be fixed. It just costs time and money to fix problem boards, and that is what we're trying to keep to a minimum.
Another post that cannot be taken literally, although with hindsight I think I know what Chip meant, but at the time they obviously had some fairly major parts missing, like keymat , case... You know, trivial stuff. ;)

Back