So, What's the Open Pandora Community Made Of ?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Here's the long-awaited results of the October 2014 Survey. Sorry for the delay... and enjoy the post :)

Comments, suggestions welcome. I'll do some more dig in in the data if needed.

->> Continue Reading

pandosurveypromo.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Really nice read - thanks for all the work and time you put into this

Errors:
- I think you switched the colors in the legend of the diagramm where you correlate online gaming habits and location

suggestions:
- use another survey service next time ;)

personal notes

• prior gaming hardware: To this day, I still regret (for reasons that aren't really clear to)  not buying the Lynx when I had the chance back then on the graduation trip to Paris
  • 16-Bit consoles: No surprise for me as there was practically no competition in Europe, every other console was only available through imports (for horrendous prices)
  • actual gen consoles: is it really fair to compare them ? The WiiU is a lot longer in the market then the PS4 and the Xbone
  • Alternative OS: laziness/bad habit - SZ did most of what I wanted, for the things that did not work, my bad habit kicks in: Although I'm a Linux users for more then 5 or 6 years, I am no command line wizard and just want to use my system - which I guess is a mixture of time constrains and a bad habit that survived the move from Windows to Linux
  • Gaming on Linux: (preliminary note: I am no DRM guy), I find the difference between having a not so Steam avid Linux user base, but a strong pro for Linux as gaming platform in general not very surprising. On the contrary I'm surprised that Steam is actually accepted in the Linux community:The impression is usually get its that people choose Linux as computing platform because of the freedom they have while using it. But using Steam comes with a lot of restrictions, and while (I guess) most people are rather ok if the source code for the games they want to play (or generally the software they (have to) use) isn't available to them (as - I guess - at least 60% of the Linux users don't look into sources at all) they aren't happy if they are restricted in using it. > No intended as a "buuuhh Steam" comment, just an idea based on personal observations
  • Key purchase reasons for the Pyra: I don't see a more general "better hardware" option > while I'm interested in a faster hardware (watching films, coding with "fat" languages) I have no real interest in faster emulation, so I would habe choosen the "Full Linux Os" option altough its only on the second place on my list.

actual gen consoles: is it really fair to compare them ? The WiiU is a lot longer in the market then the PS4 and the Xbone
Yes, since the PS4 has been overselling the WiiU just two months after it was released :) But not in this community.  

- use another survey service next time
If you can propose a non-crappy one, let me know. Only Google Forms has a decent amount of options, is free, and not stuck in Web 1.1 standards.  

Gaming on Linux:
So what were your answers to that particular set of questions on Linux ? (if you don't mind sharing). 

I don't see a more general "better hardware" optio
I thought about that, but a more general "better hardware" would translate in almost every other benefit out there. If you have better hardware, you would have a better emulation speed, better screen, better extension ports and so on - that's why I wanted to be more specific.  

If you can propose a non-crappy one, let me know. Only Google Forms has a decent amount of options, is free, and not stuck in Web 1.1 standards.
You explained your reasons pretty good already in the original thread and I have no alternative, thats why I put the smiley at the end (I'm still having trouble interpreting the smileys so that may be a wrong choice on my side).

So what were your answers to that particular set of questions on Linux ? (if you don't mind sharing).
I have not participated in the survey, but If I had, my answers would have been:

• Linux Steam usage: Not at all
  • Linux as a Gaming Platform: It's very capable > beside the WiiU I'm only gaming on Linux (with the small exception of "World of Goo" as I can't get it to run properly, neither the native Linux build nor the Windows build with wine)
  • Linuxs Future as a gaming platform: Def.Grow (and Steam is helping in that for good or worse)
  • Perception of Steam Machines: interesting

I thought about that, but a more general "better hardware" would translate in almost every other benefit out there. If you have better hardware, you would have a better emulation speed, better screen, better extension ports and so on - that's why I wanted to be more specific.
But you would have at least one participant(me) that would not find a suitable option to choose from. Which in my case means, the deciding factor for me is the better hardware > even if we would just get a port of SZ I would still buy the Pyra without thinking twice about it (leaving financial aspects aside).

While "better hardware" surely would not have been ideal, narrowing it down to emulation seems equally wrong to me, maybe "faster processor/SoC" would have been better ?

You refer to XBONE/PS4 as the "Current generation" when talking about ownership, yet when you get to budgets, you refer to them as "Next Gen".

thank you for this work. I guess it took a long time. instead of changing the changing the fonttype for graphs you could increase the size of the font itself.

I would be interested in how many users newer owned a "gamining-console". I mean every device that lacks of a full keyboard.

great job & thanks for the time you spent on this

Impressive work and fun to read. Thank you for all the work.

Personally I thought to find more obscure hardware in the previous owned section.

I wonder how many of those prior-owned GBAs were GBA-SPs... It was my GBA-SP that inspired me to want a pandora-like handheld, long before the pandora itself was even conceived...

- Neelix

The GP2X and to a certain extent the GP32 made me want a Pandora. I first became aware of the scene a little before the GP2X got launched, but never got a hackable handheld because there always seemed to be just enough wrong with the current model to make me wait for a revision. I guess I knew the Pandora would have its foibles too, but at least the d-pad was bound to be awesome with DaveC on board.

This is a really impressive bunch of work, nicely done! :) So much data, it seems that we know more about our community than the NSA ever will. :D

I'm sure these data sets are even handy when ED continues to develop the Pyra for the users. Big companies would pay a fortune to get such detailed customer data to optimize their products. ^^

Thank you for your work :) It was very interesting to read and I hav ejust completed reading your full text :) I was really not aware that the GP2X was THAT popular and THAT important as an introduction to people into Linux handheld gaming emulation. While I knew about the Dingoo first, I only came by a GP2X much later and purely by chance. It was Dingoo A320 and fiddling aroudn with it which drove me to the Linux emulation handhelds and made me find the Pandora community. :)

Maybe because I missed the GP2X lifetime then: Prior to 2009 I was not into this subject at all and didnt know about it, I´m afraid, being satisfied with DS and GBA and even collecting "new" old GB games...personally, I wanted a Pandora because it did everything so much better and more flexible as the Dingoo, and I really love the Dingoo for what it is :)

I wonder how many of those prior-owned GBAs were GBA-SPs... It was my GBA-SP that inspired me to want a pandora-like handheld, long before the pandora itself was even conceived...

- Neelix
I didn't get a GBA until the SP.  At the time I felt my choice was the better when compared to someone I worked with that had the original version, as I didn't have to mess with batteries, I could play in pretty much any lighting conditions, the SP is smaller (which mattered at the time) and, of course, the screen is protected.  Now I prefer the original GBA since I have the option of using rechargeable or disposable batteries if I don't have access to other electricity, I can replace the display with a backlit display (which is really the only weakness I still see in the original design),  the overall size when holding it and controls are better even if it takes up a bit more space, older carts don't stick out as awkwardly (not that it bothered me much with the SP, and generally I play games with the intended GB version), and I generally take pretty good care of my electronics, and it isn't too expensive or hard to replace the screen cover thing, and the original version is really the more durable design if that is a concern.  The  biggest benefit of the SP (I wish I still had mine) is that mine, in silver, resembled a later timeline tricorder.  I wish it functioned as one.  

I was really not aware that the GP2X was THAT popular and THAT important as an introduction to people into Linux handheld gaming emulation.
I was aware of the earlier open source handhelds, however the Nintendo ones were keeping me happy.  I couldn't justify the expense for what it offered, and I could play most of what I was interested in with my GBA SP and a flash cart.  Eventually someone I worked with bought one (not sure which of the GPs, or even precisely what year...between 06 and 09).  I was very interested, but not particularly impressed.  When he showed it to me it reinforced my earlier decision, and by then I was still happy with my DS.  

When I first came across the early info about the Pandora I knew I wanted one.  The keyboard made all the differnce to me.  I remember feeling uncomfortable with the idea of preordering.  I eventually checked in again and remember that there were issues, and I figured the project was doomed, and was glad I had saved my money.  Some time after the Rebirth units were shipping I looked in again and was very happy, but couldn't afford it or think of why I would need one, rather than just want it.  I figured things would get better for me financially, and I could either get one soon, or something that was a bit more powerful that was about the same size without the gaming controls, but with larger keys.  Other things took priority and I was going to pick up a newer midrange laptop, but a few interests (Linux, pocketable computers with keyboards, my obsession with gaming handhelds, networking and security related stuff) all converged at the same time, and I was encouraged by someone I discussed several of these interests with to buy a Pandora since I was so interested in it.  I probably would have been able to do more with the laptop, but the only real benefit over the others I have would have been some newer games, which I have neither the time to play nor the desire to buy (there are hundreds of older games I still want to play that are free or much cheaper, not to mention all those I own and never play).  I can carry my Pandora with me and do most of what I want/need to do, and it is lighter and smaller, has better battery life, and I don't look as odd to others.  I don't care if my Pandora isn't as small, "powerful", or flashy as a smartfone, or as cheap as a raspberry pi.  It has pretty much everything I want, and I think the Pyra will improve the things that are lacking for me.  As was mentioned in the article, the community is fairly significant to some of us.  I typically don't get involved in gaming, Linux or technology communities because I always feel like I am in the wrong place.  That is not the case here, and I just wish I could be more involved and give back in a significant way.

ekianjo, I wanted to compare my responses to a couple things to the overall results, however I forgot my response.  I have since forgotten what it was I wanted to compare.  My memory isn't as bad as I am making it sound.  Do you still have the original individual results, and are they easily searchable?

Nice article ekianjo, it clearly took a lot of time and effort.

I was really not aware that the GP2X was THAT popular and THAT important as an introduction to people into Linux handheld gaming emulation.
The GP2X was incredible, and as usual the best part about it was the community of developers, artists, and enthusiastic users giving lots of feedback. The ports and emulators were impressive and optimized to death, and the original homebrew games scene was a blast. And not only games, there was also the Open2x firmware, Gmenu2x, LittleGPTracker, Pikix the video mixing software and so many more, all designed for the GP2X controls and screen resolution as opposed to straight PC ports that often feel out of place on a handheld.

ekianjo, I wanted to compare my responses to a couple things to the overall results, however I forgot my response. I have since forgotten what it was I wanted to compare. My memory isn't as bad as I am making it sound. Do you still have the original individual results, and are they easily searchable?
Depends, did you leave your boards name in the survey or not ? If you didn't it's probably difficult to know which answer is from you :p If you did, it's easy.

The biggest benefit of the SP (I wish I still had mine) is that mine, in silver, resembled a later timeline tricorder. I wish it functioned as one.
Oddly enough it was exactly aspect of the GBA-SP that which triggered my wish for something pandora-like. It reminded me of a tricorder too (even though mine wasn't silver) and I remember thinking that the tricorders were much more versatile in the show, so it would be better if it wasn't restricted to software preselected by a games company, and in fact it would be best if it could be programmed directly... but that would require a keyboard, which would mean it would have to be wider...

Years later someone showed me the pandora, and I was immediately struck with extremely strong desire to own one... It was only some time after I had one that I remembered that and realised why.

- Neelix

ekianjo, I wanted to compare my responses to a couple things to the overall results, however I forgot my response. I have since forgotten what it was I wanted to compare. My memory isn't as bad as I am making it sound. Do you still have the original individual results, and are they easily searchable?
Depends, did you leave your boards name in the survey or not ? If you didn't it's probably difficult to know which answer is from you :p If you did, it's easy.
I know I typed that I think I self identified, but it must have been before I lost my original post, (which was much shorter...).

The biggest benefit of the SP (I wish I still had mine) is that mine, in silver, resembled a later timeline tricorder. I wish it functioned as one.
Oddly enough it was exactly aspect of the GBA-SP that which triggered my wish for something pandora-like. It reminded me of a tricorder too (even though mine wasn't silver) and I remember thinking that the tricorders were much more versatile in the show, so it would be better if it wasn't restricted to software preselected by a games company, and in fact it would be best if it could be programmed directly... but that would require a keyboard, which would mean it would have to be wider...

Years later someone showed me the pandora, and I was immediately struck with extremely strong desire to own one... It was only some time after I had one that I remembered that and realised why.

- Neelix
There were/are some third party add-ons for various GBs that make them more into tools, but the slot on the GBA SP is on the wrong side.  Actually, all modern clamshell devices I know of are designed to be held by the wrong side (bottom) to be very accurate.  There was a guy working on making truly functional clamshell tricorders that are supposed to also have the right look, although I don't think he had anything we could get our hands on when I last looked into it a year ago.

There are other little computers that are also clamshells, but none of them give the Star Trek look and feel for me like the SP and Pandora.  The Zipit is a lot less useful imo although it does have a keyboard.  Much like the SP it feels too small to me.  The less sleek look of these things (although the SP was probably considered sleek compared to its predecessor) is what makes them seem right in that sense, and is why I am fine with the Pyra remaining a bit clunky, while it is still more minimalist and sleek looking than a lot of ruggedized stuff.

Smartfones better resemble PADDs, yet they have functions similar to tricorders (and I wish I had backed up that program for Android).  I can't recall what new sensors Pyra will have, but if there are some we still need maybe we can get them in The Next Generation ( ;) ) of these devices, or we can throw together a little mountable module with them that also features blinky lights, you know, so you can make sure it is functioning and see what it is doing at the time or something.

I just remembered, the tricorders from the later films do resemble modern smartfones with extra lights on top.  I can't recall when they switched over.  In Nemesis, when Data is about to jump out of the ship you get a good shot of one.  That doesn't really help those of us that love clamshells and physical controls.

Back