The Big Open Pandora Community Survey, 2014

Why do people have to be logical to the end anyway? Why is there this "you have deviated from one of your principles once, now you can complete let go of it" attitude? Were humans, were fallible.
When you discuss principles and justify "Google is shite" because of the said principles, if your behavior does not match the said behaviors either then you should consider youself as shite as well :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In this case one could argue that there would be a correlation between computer knowledge and unwillingness to share personal information, but I'd hazard a guess that's not that strong a correlation either. I suspect it's just a more common topic of conversation in these circles and the most vocal about it tend to be the most worried about it, so the sample-by-vocality is inherently biased.
But isn't that hard to predict ? Isn't there a chance that there could be in fact somekind of "silent majority" that does not vote because of certain "premises"? This may not even be directly related to the stance "Evilgoogle" that came up in this thread, but more "simplistic" reasons, like lazyness or the internet providing other distractions that may lure people away from the survey before they could complete the effort to actually start the survey - of course its not likely in these circles but possible nevertheless > in short: you never know, better get them all while you still got their attention(?)
Yes, just as there can be a silent majority in ANY of the groups you exclude just by not asking them or them not noticing. Give me pretty much any division of any group of people and I can find _something_ to tie them together that the other half lacks. Then I can say your sample (the other half) is not representative because it excludes people wearing light-colored underwear or something. Any sample from any set can be retroactively defined as a deliberate selection, making any sample-based survey biased on that axis. It comes down to identifying what are the relevant demographical factors for the survey at hand and controlling those. Finding hidden signals amongst all the noise to identify hidden correlations requires a vastly larger sample size to compensate for the unknown demographical factors.

This discussion is at risk of derailing. Please start a new thread (in the off-topic section) if you want to discuss survey methodology issues or general Google evilness. Please try to stick to the original topic.

Thanks.

This discussion is at risk of derailing. Please start a new thread (in the off-topic section) if you want to discuss survey methodology issues or general Google evilness. Please try to stick to the original topic.

Thanks.
Thanks.

By the way, 148 responses so far to the survey. This will allow for sub segmentation of diverse groups, which is very good for analysis. 

I can't remember if you asked about country or anything of the sort, but that is one way of breaking it down I am a bit curious about.  Did you take the survey?

OT a bit, but at work we use Qualtrics, and it lets you have different questions show up based on answers, etc. It's definitely not Web 1.0. It also anonomizes responses, though I don't know what they track themselves. People taking your survey just need a link, there is no log in required. That said, I believe you have to pay for it. I've used it on behalf of an open source project before (Zenoss FWIW), but I doubt it's really worth it for a "did you not take ekianjo's survey because you had to log in" survey...

I sadly can't create accounts for people, but in the future, I might be able to help set up surveys with this if anyone cared.

I can't remember if you asked about country or anything of the sort, but that is one way of breaking it down I am a bit curious about.  Did you take the survey?
Was that question for me ?

ANyway, I did not ask for the specific country, but more of a regional location, such as Oceania, Western Europe, etc... From a base size standpoint, we will only be able to compare Western Europe vs North America - the other locations have too few people.

OT a bit, but at work we use Qualtrics, and it lets you have different questions show up based on answers, etc. It's definitely not Web 1.0
Yeha, but I'm pretty sure it's definitely not cheap either. It's a B2B company, so the prices are likely to be pretty high. 

It's nice to propose your help but if I want to do a survey, I want to have direct access myself to the data.

Yes, and you didn't answer it, but based on your response I guess what I wanted to see won't happen.  So, not many people from Asia and Australia answered (or own a Pandora)?

Yes, and you didn't answer it, but based on your response I guess what I wanted to see won't happen.  So, not many people from Asia and Australia answered (or own a Pandora)?
Yes I took the survey if that is the question you were asking :)

only 2 people from Asia, me included... :p So don't expect much data from there!

Australia/NZ has something like 7 answers so far.

By the way we passed the 150 answers !

Maybe you could make the poll on another site then put the data in google to make all the computation and lovely drawings?
 No. It's just not worth the trouble, because most ofher survey sites do not even permit the features I use on Google Forms. I have already provided an option not to use Google, by PMing me and sending me your email address. You can answer the form without a Google account if I can forward to it a single email address.

I proposed this but no-one contacted me with their email address, so I'm just guessing everyone who is complaining about Google is just basically too lazy to be bothered and just want to bitch about something in their spare time :D
So, the solution to us not wanting to give our email address to a marketer (you) in order to answer a survey about an open product is to give our email address to you (a marketer).
Since you're requiring submission of email addresses for the purposes of answering this survey, then you must also have a privacy policy. Do you have a link to that?

OT a bit, but at work we use Qualtrics, and it lets you have different questions show up based on answers, etc. It's definitely not Web 1.0
 Yeha, but I'm pretty sure it's definitely not cheap either. It's a B2B company, so the prices are likely to be pretty high. 

It's nice to propose your help but if I want to do a survey, I want to have direct access myself to the data.
Again, with your direct access to the data, including responder email address which in many cases is a direct link to 'real name', what is your privacy policy regarding this information?

Oh come on people.  It's just a survey, fill it out if you like and don't fill it out if you don't want to.  There's the openness to this survey ;)   Ekianjo is no evil man :)

Now thats a fair point actually. ED always refused to "harvest" email addresses this way (for example to get in touch with Craig's customers) mainly for privacy reasons.

I cant see any harm done here, but this process kinda contradicts ED's way of dealing with things (at least my understanding of it) and your survey kinda has a somewhat official touch to it. Again, im not hatin' here, just sayin' :)

Now you are being silly again. If there was any indication that Ekianjo was doing this to collect email adresses for spam or whatever, then that would be one thing, but as far as I can see, there is no such thing. I have, I believe, given my email adress to him before, and so far I have not been spammed. Or marketed to. Or in any way been inappropriately contacted by anything that would seem to originate from Ekianjo. So, why the "marketer" name and allusions to "collecting" adresses?

FWIW, ED sure collects email adresses in exactly the same way. That is, when he needs to send something to someone by email (in his case something like a receipt for a repair, in Ekianjos case a link to the survey), he asks for the email adress. I haven't been spammed by ED either, even though he would possibly qualify as more of a "marketer" than Ekianjo (I mean, he has a shop, and sells stuff, to a good deal of us). 

Or, in short form: Grench, watch what you're saying. If you have any actual grievances with Ekianjo, then spit it out and be done with it. If not, shut it with the insinuations.

Back