Exactly how open is Open Pandora?

_wb_

Microbe
Staff member
Does the "open" apply only to the software, or also to the hardware? As far as I understand, the hardware was developed based on community suggestions (so it is open in that way), and the design of the TI SoC is not open (the chips are bought from TI, their design is proprietary, so at this level, the hardware is not quite open - of course, cpu design/production would be outside the scope of a community effort like this). What I do not know, is how open is the hardware? Eg the case design, board layout, nub design etc. Are they "open source" too? If somebody would like to independently start producing Pandoras, can they get the "blueprints" somewhere and start ordering parts and assemble them? (this is a hypothetical question, I do not see any reason why anyone would want to do this instead of collaborating with the OPT). Can somebody "fork" the Pandora project in terms of hardware? Any clarification on this topic would be most welcome - I'm sorry if this is a silly question, I'm a Pandora noob, please forgive me.

The hardware design is not open in that sense to prevent that very thing from happening.

At the same time, however there is a hardware hacking guide available, for those with an interest in modifying their units, offering a fair bit of freedom to do what you want with your unit, without making it possible to duplicate it.

- Neelix

Worth mentioning, at this stage, it would be insane for OPT to release full hardware designs, as the only one who would have any use of that is clone makers with more money (and thus able to produce them in greater quantities and therefor cheaper.) Before the initial investment is earned back, releasing it all would be a stupid thing to do.

Assembling a pandora motherboard is not something you do as a hobby, PoP (and BGA overall) is a bitch to do by hand :p

We have said in the past that eventually the hardware can be opened, in a similar way to Id and their 3D engines, usually a generation behind.

What about the case/body? I was just thinking about designing a case by my own and let it print via some 3D print service.

So it would be a nice way to customize the pandora.

e.g steampunk design, diffrent coulors, metal cases (stainless steel/ titanium and so on)

Or an imprint on the outside.

"only" thing needed would be the inner surface of the Pandora (just dump solids of the inner packaging).

That wouldn't be something clone makers use, but a nice comunity driven addition to he pandora other products can't offer..

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that there would be much stopping you from designing your own shell and 3D printing it. There are plenty of manufacturers that make replacement / different colour shells for the Nintendo DS and PSP. They seem to get away with it...

I don't think that there would be much stopping you from designing your own shell and 3D printing it. There are plenty of manufacturers that make replacement / different colour shells for the Nintendo DS and PSP. They seem to get away with it...

But they will have (official or otherwise) 3D models of the inside of the case to work from..

Ah ok, I missed that point. I thought that 3D printing places could just scan the original case and basically go from there?

If you produce several hundrets/thousands it makes sence to scan and digitize a original case.

Next thing is most likely it's an cooperation anyway, because of "ownership" of the design.

Of course I can take my pandora apart and "manuely digitize" the inner volume. But I surely won't do that without tolleration of the pandora team (at least if I offer it for someone else). And it would be much more fun to do it "community style", by working together, take whats allready there and do something for the use of alle. Instead of making just one custom case for myself.

The case files were made available once, but that was an accident. They were replaced with a file with just the outer shell, all the bibs and bobs inside that give it support and function were removed. I suspect, depending on your interests you might be able to contact EvilDragon or Craigix and ask, but they'd be well within their right to refuse.

Back