How Can The Community Help Now?

InterestedBystander

Still Fresh
Although I have neither ordered a Pandora nor made any other contributions, I absolutely adore the concept and think it has enormous potential. Maybe in the future the netbook I am hoping for will fork from it? And for sure the original Pandora will heal the marks of disappointment that both the NDS and PSP left on me :(

But before we even see the original Pandora, discussions are now starting regarding "already obsolete", "tired of waiting", etc. I do understand the concerns and because I wish that the Pandora succeed I decided to make this posting.

While this project is certainly carried by a few individuals, the big difference is that it is open to help from the community. So would it not be possible for the community to help speeding up things now in this tedious and critical phase?

Of course the people overseeing the production of the hardware must state what would actually help. But I am still going to make a few suggestions, but ONLY AS WILD IDEAS. IMPORTANT: I have not even read all postings and I DO NOT KNOW WHAT CAUSES THE DELAY. So my little list implies nothing about nobody, it is not based on facts and is MERELY MEANT AS INSPIRATION!

- Somebody could spend the holidays in the city where the company is that works on the case moulding. Visit them as an official representative of Pandora and inspect the progress.
- Evaluate other companies that could make the case for Pandora.
- Assist with administrational work (customs, shipping, banking, etc.).
- Do a fund raising so there is money to bribe the right person.
- Baby-sit children/GF/wife/parents/grand-parents of the people working on the Pandora so they have more time getting things done.

To the core developers: What would actually help you?

To the community: How could you help?

I think it's way too late to change case companies, and it seems unlikely that the Pandora team would entrust a "community" person to do something as official as inspecting case molding. (Even assuming that one of us has the technical ability to do that)

Probably the easiest thing we can do is work on software intended for the Pandora to give it some value as a software platform.

InterestedBystander said:
- Do a fund raising so there is money to bribe the right person.
Um, what? I don't think that will be necessary...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, mass production test run has already been started, the moulding company is already checking the case... so except for waiting, there's not much ANYBODY can do now.

EvilDragon said:
Well, mass production test run has already been started, the moulding company is already checking the case... so except for waiting, there's not much ANYBODY can do now.
Yes, you could start to make an Protective Case for the Pandora, we still miss this part of the Project completely. ;) I just wanted to mention the Pandora-Pocket because I already payed for it, same for the TV Cable. :D

EvilDragon said:
Hmm, does anybody have a goat and an altar that we could "borrow" for a bit? I guess at this point it's mostly cross ones fingers and wait patiently.

Or, I suppose we could engage in some sort of convoluted plot to make the world spin more quickly therefore getting our Pandoras more quickly. But on the other hand it is nice to finally be to the part where there's mostly just waiting around before the final assembly and shipment.

Well, if you're an experienced coder, you could make sure there is software for the Pandora when it's released. Although I think most if not all of the experienced coders are already doing this.

Personally, I'm learning how to program for the Pandora. Hopefully in a few months or so I'll be ready to actually contribute.

The Windows users might also consider trying out a Linux LiveCD just to get used to the general feel of the GUI.
Programming is probably the best you can do, though.

I was originally passing the time by finally getting into C++ (courtesy of DevC++ on Windows). Having mostly done that, I'm now passing the time by trying out a few C++ IDEs to see which one would best be suited to running at Pandora resolution, and of course is open source and Linux friendly.

QTCreator seems like quite a decent candidate since a lot of the GUI seems to conveniently keep itself out of the way, leaving more real estate for the actual code. I'm having a hell of a time trying to set up MinGW and SDL on it though, given my C++ noobicity.

I'll probably stick with Code::Blocks. I've found it slightly less friendly with error messages ("error 3" instead of "segfault"), but it's a pleasant IDE, and at least I managed to somehow bumble my way into getting SDL etc set up on it.

So basically I agree with Sphinxter. Lulz has a sensible recommendation as well. When Pandora hits my doorstep, I want to hit the ground running. I see that as offering the most likelihood of being able to contribute to this noble and worthy venture.

I've heard that QtCreator really is the best IDE, but I haven't really used it much, seeing as I don't use IDEs very often (gdb ftw).

I'm one of those programmers that isn't working on a Pandora project, though. Too busy with other stuff. Although I do plan to port the project I'm working on now to the Pandora once it's closer to completion (and I have something to test it on).

Code is the biggest contribution, I think.. and especially if its code that uses the Pandora well - designed for dual analog joysticks, 3D acceleration, good sound, well-integrated with the rest of the system, multi-player networking, etc.

I mean, imagine having a big hit with a game exclusive for the Pandora that allows us all to get into multi-player mode and frag the living bejesus out of each other. That'd be a great launch title effort, imho .. so if you're really interested in helping out, get coding, write a killer game for the Pandora that really pushes the buttons, and get it ready to be released as soon as 100 or so people have their consoles ..

EvilDragon said:

Great to hear that all is on its way!

A little advice from my experience with software projects: Do not ask how many percent of the work is done. Ask how much is left to do and how long that takes. When software developers tell you they are 90% done you will find out later that it was about the middle of the project. Maybe moulding companies suffer from the same phenomenon :)

And ask for written dates from the producers of hardware. It is great to have a relationship of trust, but money is involved and a company who knows its business will be able to make a commitment and will put in the overtime it takes to meet a deadline.

Here are my attempts at making waiting easier:

Portal

Or this:

Why I am not happy with my NDS
  • Metroid Prime Hunters would have been great. But controlling an FPS with a touch screen is a RPITA.
  • No analog sticks.
  • Even the official stylus does scratch the screen. No matter what the propaganda wants to make you believe.
  • One big screen is better than two small ones.
  • Region lock introduced with the newest model for downloadable content.

Why I am not happy with my PSP
  • Screen and case scratch very easily. A clam shell design would have helped, but with the PSP Go Sony makes it clear they don't care.
  • Only one analog stick and a bad one on top of it.
  • Idiotic power switch, which will cause you to turn off the console unintentionally.
  • Inadequate battery life.
  • Case of UMD has an opening that never closes. Liable to catch dust and scratch.
  • Faulty pixels still common.

What's wrong with the iPhone
I don't have one and I actually think it is quite good, but still...
  • New model runs hot.
  • No analog stick.
  • No joystick at all!

fedex_logo.jpg

EvilDragon said:

Sounds like a lot of waiting without a lot of updates, these last couple months are going to be the hardest ones to get through. I need to break my habit of looking for updates everyday, really makes it drag...

Ask not what you can do for your community can do for you,
ask what you can do for your community...

The Pandora has been in the "tedious finishing phase" for 11-12 months.
There's not much the community hasn't tried.

Back