So, What's the DragonBox Pyra Like ? [ FOSDEM 2014 ]

Yes, it's a shame we never got a completely reliable binary blob out of TI for the Gigahertz Pandora, but it has taken us a long time to discover its issues, and actually we've not done too badly out of it.
I've been perfectly happy with the newest driver and have not noticed any issues, but I know that is partly due to the devs being able to figure out the necessary workarounds.

All in all, SGX drivers are ok. There are a few bugs here and there, some of them I would like to see fixed (like the precision issue that sometimes is visible on certain scene, see the f1-spirit thread for some examples, or sometimes I get just crash if I try to use array with mixed float for vertex and texcoord and ubyte for colors) but they works. Only limitation of latest drivers is the absence of x11 support, so only fullscreen is available, but on the small screen of the Pandora, this is hardly an issue at all...

Of courses, horsepower of the current GPU (even on the Gigaghertz) is not stellar, and some games/emus are hold back by that (mupen64plus is slowed down, because using FB rendering on small FB increase speed, and DooM III is a slide show on gigahertz), but I'm sure SGX on the Pyra will have much better performance (it had to, because rendering a FullHD screen will require on lot more fillrate to begin with).

maybe a stupid question: Why do people consider OMAP5 as not the best option? Is it just flops, flops/watt or the number of cores? some other metric?

maybe a stupid question: Why do people consider OMAP5 as not the best option? Is it just flops, flops/watt or the number of cores? some other metric?
The GPU doesn't have open source drivers. That seems to be the only reason anyone s actually against it.

Back