Snes9X4D4P - Help Me Beta Test

First, let me start by saying thanks for this port. Runs excellent at stock cpu frequency, and it's pretty much perfect at just a hair higher.
Second, I'd love to see:

skeezix said:
...Planning for 2x scale, 2x with AA, stretch, steetch with AA, etc..

This would be great, some resolution options for scaling and AA would make this a lot more polished.

SomeGuy99 said:
For some reason the picture is slightly to the left and not in the middle.

Centering the current screen would be excellent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't seem to run the PND now.

Typing 'pnd_run snes9x4d4p' gets me:

Code:
test-openpandora:/media/mmcblk2p1/pandora/desktop$ pnd_run snes9x4d4p.pnd 
Runscript	/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh
Pndfile		snes9x4d4p.pnd
Subapp Number	0
Invoking: 'Snes9x4D4P'
--
pnd set to `.///snes9x4d4p.pnd'
exec set to `./runsnes9x-parag0n.sh'
BASENAME set to snes9x.skeezix.alpha
Running with x, not disowning!
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 250: /tmp/pndrunsnes9x.skeezix.alpha.out: Permission denied
test-openpandora:/media/mmcblk2p1/pandora/desktop$

It works if I run as sudo though.

SomeGuy99 said:

Code:
Pndfile		snes9x4d4p.pnd
Subapp Number	0
--
/usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh: line 250: /tmp/pndrunsnes9x.skeezix.alpha.out: Permission denied

It looks like you don't have permission to execute from /tmp, maybe a security feature?

Try 'sudo chmod 777 /tmp/pndrunsnes9x.skeezix.alpha.out'. I'd say to do 'sudo chmod -R 777 /tmp', but I don't know if that would be an issue - Ubuntu seems to have it by default, so it can't be too bad for security.

Tom` said:
SomeGuy99 said:

Code:
Pndfile		snes9x4d4p.pnd
Subapp Number	0
--

It looks like you don't have permission to execute from /tmp, maybe a security feature?

Try 'sudo chmod 777 /tmp/pndrunsnes9x.skeezix.alpha.out'. I'd say to do 'sudo chmod -R 777 /tmp', but I don't know if that would be an issue - Ubuntu seems to have it by default, so it can't be too bad for security.

All I can tell you is that it worked before, no worries. Now it doesn't like it.

SomeGuy99 said:
Tom` said:
SomeGuy99 said:

Code:
Pndfile		snes9x4d4p.pnd
Subapp Number	0
--

All I can tell you is that it worked before, no worries. Now it doesn't like it.
That is strange, but it's possible that some application or OS script changed it. Running one of those commands above should fix it, though.

I've already reflashed the firmware and the program loads. I'll try that next time though, thanks.

I did a totally newbish thing and gave full permisions to the whole file system. Debian being an irritating nanny hates having the sudoers file changed though (and I couldn't change it back without using Sudo again, doh!).

Oh well. Now I know!

When you say that High RES roms won't work- does that include games like Secret of Mana?

It's the only game I can't get to work so far, and I remember that it had text issues in the NDS Snes emulators.

Will this be fixed in the course of things, or is this a game-specific problem?

The ROM I have of Super Mario All Stars + Super Mario World glitches out: the scanlines are separated my masses of black space.

neogramps said:
When you say that High RES roms won't work- does that include games like Secret of Mana?

It's the only game I can't get to work so far, and I remember that it had text issues in the NDS Snes emulators.

Yep. Secret of Mana is a highres rom. Snes9x4D has support for it, but it needs a special scaler for pandora. I think skeezix is working on it. It's already working on Dingoo.

Found a bug; when you press B from the menu to load a state, that button press also registers ingame (playing Mario World, save state at the world map; as soon as the state loads, B makes me select and load a level)

neogramps said:
Found a bug; when you press B from the menu to load a state, that button press also registers ingame (playing Mario World, save state at the world map; as soon as the state loads, B makes me select and load a level)
Cool, I know the same phenomenon from various GP2X Emulators. :D Last button actions in the menu (before retunring to game) alredy makes actions ingame. ^^"

SiENcE said:
neogramps said:

Yep. Secret of Mana is a highres rom. Snes9x4D has support for it, but it needs a special scaler for pandora. I think skeezix is working on it. It's already working on Dingoo.

Correct, I need to add a scaler for that (plus a pile of other scalers.)

I am half tempted to convert it from SDL to /dev/fb and use the hardware scaler, or else I have to modify SDL to add hardware scaling. Hmmm :)

I'm pretty tied up the next couple weeks, so might take me awhile to get to (or maybe not, we'll see); source is all synced up in the SVN mostly, so anyone else could as well.

jeff

SiENcE said:
neogramps said:

Couldn't high res 512 x 448 just run at 1:1 on the Pandora?

Would save allot of blocky scaling ugliness.

DaveC -- yeah, first cut of high res support woudl just be 1:1

But naturally, we know from I think this very thread, that people will get mad at me for letterboxing, so a stretch mode will also need to be made.

jeff

Just got my Pandora in the mail...

Wanted to say thanks... first thing I loaded up was SNES9XD4P and Final Fantasy III... all I can say is awesome and thanks so much! The device may be a little rough around the edges at the moment, but there's a lot of promise here!

I'll try to read through the thread and see what I can do to help you guys out though.

Think I'll see if I can't get nethack to compile...

Thanks again!

skeezix said:
DaveC -- yeah, first cut of high res support woudl just be 1:1

But naturally, we know from I think this very thread, that people will get mad at me for letterboxing, so a stretch mode will also need to be made.

jeff
That will probably look nice and sharp at 1:1.

You may want to include integer scalers other than 2x too. For example a 256 x224 SNES game could be scaled an even 3x horizontal to 768 and 2x vertical to 448.

This would be a great mode that fills the screen more be close to the right aspect and avoids the fractional scale ugliness. I would love a mode like that.

Back