Snes9X4D4P - Help Me Beta Test

Second build you got there works nice. I like how remembers the last dir that's nice touch. Sound seems to be better.

Did notice one thing, when I change the clock speed to 700MHZ for say Bio Metal,Earthworm Jim 2 it runs to fast.

I change the framskip settings to 1/60 which is 0 frameskip correct?

Apart from that I love it so far Keep it going guys doing well :)

EvilDragon -- yeah, I kept meanig to write a 'generic file selector', but everyone suggested using zenity inswtead; but the gtk dir browser takes for freaking ever (does so in Kronos too, so its not Zenity per se.)

I'm tempted to make a list-view mode for minimenu, then a way to invoke it in file-selector mode, or perhaps just a standalone file selector for various apps, or builda file picker into the emu; decisions decisions :) (But need to also add it to Colem and others..)

Will get to it :)

I'll look into the 44khz option as well, see how many framesit costs us; if you don't mind overclocking, its not a big deal ;)

(Until such time as I write an asm blitter to do the scaling, or use GLES to do it, in which case we'll get back a pile of frames; I'm brute forcing the blitting now :/)

jeff

In the appdata directory; its called something like /pandora/appdata/snes9x.skeezix.alpha .. it should stand out.

I didn't test the function, but assuming it works, it replaces the default args (-sq 5, to get 32khz audio), so you'll likely want args.txt to at least be "-sq 5", plus whatever else.

I wouldn't mess with scaling or anything, probably crash it due to my forced scaling.

Let us know if you find anything nifty :)

jeff

skeezix said:
In the appdata directory; its called something like /pandora/appdata/snes9x.skeezix.alpha .. it should stand out.

I didn't test the function, but assuming it works, it replaces the default args (-sq 5, to get 32khz audio), so you'll likely want args.txt to at least be "-sq 5", plus whatever else.

I wouldn't mess with scaling or anything, probably crash it due to my forced scaling.

Let us know if you find anything nifty :)

jeff
Great, even works with my 3 month old OS :p

I had a hell of a time finding my ROMs though. I have them in a ROMs directory in the same dir as the PND. I got this selector with all kinds of crap MMBLK0P1, MMBLK1, Media etc. I needed to just keep trying things until I found them. Finding stuff on the Wiz was so much easier. But it is good now as it saves the path. The thing that is bad about this selector is no way to page through the list. Before you could press right or left on the pad or use shoulder buttons to page. If you have allot of ROMs you can spend allot of time scrolling. Also pressing "B" would be nice to select a ROM. Having to go to "enter" is awkward and quite different that other consoles.

The 2X doubling is fine now (I would suggest centering it although no big deal). If you do add a fullscreen mode can you at least keep this 2X scale as an option? fractional scaling is the devil :p

How do you switch ROMs? I could find no option for that in the menu.

Thanks for the great work.

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilDragon said:
44,1kHz should definately be the default for the emulator.

I'd also suggest switching to a different ROM selector (if possible), like the one from PicoDrive or FCE.
Both work instantly, but Zenity needs about 1,5 minutes to list all my roms in my directory :D

Hmm you must have a LOT (big letters!) of Roms. I mean I have a lot (small letters!) and they come up instantly. The thing I like about Zenity is that I dont have to scroll down a massive list: I can just start typing the name of the game I want to play and it will come up. The thing I don't like is it feels to OSy and not Gamey. If that makes sense?!

skeezix said:
(Until such time as I write an asm blitter to do the scaling, or use GLES to do it, in which case we'll get back a pile of frames; I'm brute forcing the blitting now :/)

Nice, sounds good. Could be useful in several other projects I suspect, seeing as everything seems to be done in software at the moment. I'm assuming using GLES would get the SGX to do the work and would be "free" in terms of cpu time (I've not read anything about (poor) SGX binary blob drivers in over a year, so I'm hoping that situation has improved...)

DaveC said:
I had a hell of a time finding my ROMs though. I have them in a ROMs directory in the same dir as the PND. I got this selector with all kinds of crap MMBLK0P1, MMBLK1, Media etc. I needed to just keep trying things until I found them.
In the Zenity selector it's not too bad as you get the labels of the SD cards in the left pane. Would be a nice feature in general to have those labels in /media or whatever, even if they were just symlinks to some mmcblk directory.

The thing that is bad about this selector is no way to page through the list. Before you could press right or left on the pad or use shoulder buttons to page. If you have allot of ROMs you can spend allot of time scrolling.
X and Y are mapped to PgUp and PgDown. Works for me, anyway.

[/quote]
X and Y are mapped to PgUp and PgDown. Works for me, anyway.
[/quote]

oooh, will try that.

Pleng, I also think it looks a little os'y. I also miss shoulder buttons to skim through the rom list. Not that I'm complaining mind!

Don't worry, I'm definately going to replace the file picker. Its definately too 'windowsy' instead of 'gamey' :)

DaveC -- and you know I'd never leave you out in the dark :) Planning for 2x scale, 2x with AA, stretch, steetch with AA, etc..

jeff

skeezix said:
Don't worry, I'm definately going to replace the file picker. Its definately too 'windowsy' instead of 'gamey' :)

Could you, if at all possible, put in the type-to-find feature? Or at the very least jump straight to Roms beginning with x, when key x is pressed? Pretty please?? :)

DaveC -- and you know I'd never leave you out in the dark :) Planning for 2x scale, 2x with AA, stretch, steetch with AA, etc..

Awesome!

DaveC said:
Great, even works with my 3 month old OS :p
And why would you use that I wonder? If you are running that it means you have bootable card, so you can make flasher from it easily, just PM me for details.

notaz -- he's having a hell of a time getting his SDs to boot; I might end up sending him a working SD that he can flash with :)

jeff

32Khz Audio has made ALL the difference Jeff!

Thanks for adding this in!! :D

PS: Is there any way to return to the rom select screen without having to reboot?

Hit SPACE to bring up the menu (as directed when it runs ;), and hit exit.
I also added a keyb shortcut -- hit 'q' you just die immediately.

You have to re-run the emu.

One of these days I'll add a menu built into it, so you can just pick a ROM that way, without restarting it.

jeff

skeezix said:
Hit SPACE to bring up the menu (as directed when it runs ;) , and hit exit.
I also added a keyb shortcut -- hit 'q' you just die immediately.

You have to re-run the emu.

One of these days I'll add a menu built into it, so you can just pick a ROM that way, without restarting it.

jeff
^Wires crossed there, sorry didn't mean rebooting the Pandora, just the emulator.

All understood now!

For some reason the picture is slightly to the left and not in the middle.

Back