Snes9X4D4P - Help Me Beta Test

DaveC said:
You may want to include integer scalers other than 2x too. For example a 256 x224 SNES game could be scaled an even 3x horizontal to 768 and 2x vertical to 448.

:eek:

This would be a great mode that fills the screen more be close to the right aspect and avoids the fractional scale ugliness. I would love a mode like that.

Well...to each their own. :D

(Although I guess I shouldn't talk until I see it for myself.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, I have to ask: What is the correct Aspect Ratio of an SNES? The 1:1 Pixel-image is not 4:3 but of course the TV screen was 4:3.
So were the games designed to be 4:3 or were they desinged to be this weird aspect ratio, the unscaled image has? :unsure:

They were designed to be 4:3. Anything from back then, that was intended to be displayed on a CRT, was. :p

Prometheus said:
They were designed to be 4:3. Anything from back then, that was intended to be displayed on a CRT, was. :p
Ah OK, thx. :)

So I guess with a 4:3 scaler the SNES Image onto the Pandora will look like it was supposed to look.

fusion_power said:
Again, I have to ask: What is the correct Aspect Ratio of an SNES? The 1:1 Pixel-image is not 4:3 but of course the TV screen was 4:3.
So were the games designed to be 4:3 or were they desinged to be this weird aspect ratio, the unscaled image has? :unsure:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=snes+video+modes (1st link and scroll down to Video)

Snes has different modes.

Most good scalers are only x2, x3 aso.

I look forward to a bigger picture, played some racing game the other day add it was hard to work out which way the corners where gonna go till it was to late so the bigger the better and if we can get something like the picodrive screen size I'd be happy :)

Kicker said:
DaveC said:
You may want to include integer scalers other than 2x too. For example a 256 x224 SNES game could be scaled an even 3x horizontal to 768 and 2x vertical to 448.
Well...to each their own. :D

(Although I guess I shouldn't talk until I see it for myself.)

Well here it is below. The the 2X both ways is on top while 3X horizontal x 2X vertical is on bottom. The bottom is very close to full screen without the ugly fractional scale. If you scale to absolute ful you will get the odd bigger pixel every so often which causes RIPPLING in scrolling. If you didn't know that looks BAD. That is why I suggest having these integer scale modes too. None of these has the correct aspect but if it did you would need the rippling fractional stretch. That could be a mode too. It seems the top 2X is closer to the real aspect ratio.

addams2x3x.png

I was thinking that scaling width and height differently would look awful, but that bottom picture doesn't look bad. It would be a nice option eventually.

DasFool said:
It would be a nice option eventually.

Yes. I don't think it should be on by default, but them as prefer it, may use it.

Kicker said:
DasFool said:

Yes. I don't think it should be on by default, but them as prefer it, may use it.
If you look at the bottom image it has a pretty tiny border and it would be much smaller on a Pandora, but has consistent pixels. If you just did straight fullscreen to get those couple of millimeters it would look bad, especially when scrolling. I am saying that this would be a good option as if fills the screen well and wouldn't give artifacts.

I'd love to see 3X horizontal x 2X vertical as an option. Looks great considering it's scaled.

yeah, looks surprisingly good there :)

I'll look at adding a scaler menu soon; keep bugging me :) Too many projects being juggled :)

jeff

DaveC said:
Kicker said:
DasFool said:

If you look at the bottom image it has a pretty tiny border and it would be much smaller on a Pandora, but has consistent pixels. If you just did straight fullscreen to get those couple of millimeters it would look bad, especially when scrolling. I am saying that this would be a good option as if fills the screen well and wouldn't give artifacts.

Sorry to not be clear: I don't want the screen filled, I just want the ratio right.

I believe that you reverse those priorities, and I believe you're not the only one, so the option should be there. But I'm right and you're wrong so it shouldn't be on by default. :D

Kicker said:
DaveC said:
Kicker said:
DasFool said:

Sorry to not be clear: I don't want the screen filled, I just want the ratio right.

I believe that you reverse those priorities, and I believe you're not the only one, so the option should be there. But I'm right and you're wrong so it shouldn't be on by default. :D

XD You really don't know DaveC, do you? There is no way that DaveC is reversing those priorities. What he was suggesting was his way of saying: "If those idiots want the screen filled, at least give them an option that isn't completely shitty." I'm sure he would like the correct aspect ratio more than you ever could. Also, he never mentioned default.

-God Ginrai

Uh, no, I don't know him. I was just trying to be jocular on a subject not worth spilling a lot of electrons over? :unsure:

comp_wizard said:
I'd love to see 3X horizontal x 2X vertical as an option. Looks great considering it's scaled.
That is because it is done integer (IE a whole number like 1:1, 2:1 etc). When you do that every pixel has the same exact shape and size.

Now if you filled the screen entirely you get this odd fractional like 3.25:1 or something. Since you can't light a fraction of a pixel you have to add an extra pixel every so often so now they are not even sizes. The "remainder" pixels are just added in at regular intervals. When you scroll you will see these as odd lines rippling through the screen. Some may be 4 Pandora pixels while some 6. For example 256 doesn't go into the full 800 evenly. 256 does go into 768 evenly though.
God Ginrai said:
XD You really don't know DaveC, do you? There is no way that DaveC is reversing those priorities. What he was suggesting was his way of saying: "If those idiots want the screen filled, at least give them an option that isn't completely shitty." I'm sure he would like the correct aspect ratio more than you ever could. Also, he never mentioned default.
-God Ginrai
Actually not entirely true. In this case a correct aspect ratio would mean fractional scaling. As stated above that leads to uneven pixels and scroll ripple. I would like correct aspect if it could be done with integer. Since it can't I would probably go for the ratio being a bit off but having the pixels even and no scroll ripple (I hate scroll ripple).

DaveC said:
God Ginrai said:
-God Ginrai
Actually not entirely true. In this case a correct aspect ratio would mean fractional scaling. As stated above that leads to uneven pixels and scroll ripple. I would like correct aspect if it could be done with integer. Since it can't I would probably go for the ratio being a bit off but having the pixels even and no scroll ripple (I hate scroll ripple).

Oh, I assumed you would take a smaller size to have the correct aspect ratio without fractional scaling. Am I wrong?

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Oh, I assumed you would take a smaller size to have the correct aspect ratio without fractional scaling. Am I wrong?

-God Ginrai
I would but that is often (mostly) impossible. SNES for example, there is no integer scale that would yield a correct aspect. Basically you could get what I posted in those two pics before with integer. Some systems like Megadrive are super close to the right aspect at 2X (integer). NeoGeo is mostly perfect aspect too as 2X on the Pandora (well except there is no NeoGeo yet).

For some reason... when I load a save state the audio is stuck playing whatever note was last. I'm using version 20100601_3

Back