• No, im not interested in support

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Dont know..

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters

S

StreaK

Quick poll:

if You decided to say: NO, please explain in post.

That's the point of donation button on the repo.

You dont need to beg for donation, do you ?

If your work is appreciated, you'll get donations. Not often, but more than what you would have paid for the game/app if it was close source.

What sebt3 said.

Also I really thought very long about taking donations at all. I port stuff for fun, for others to use, to be useful for the community and support OP.

Everything else is bonus :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, if:

1) The port is of good quality and is maintained

2) The port is of interest/use to me

3) I like the cut of his jib

I dont think my ports / recompilations will ever go to repo.
I have a donation button on my website too. You can have a donation button in your signature too.

If you dont support the repo, dont expect to get donation often....

I have a idea to consider:

EXCLUSIVE POLISHED RELEASE for donators 3 or 4 weeks before release "for all"

Hot heads who wants to get the game/app/emu right here/right now can donate and can get a port instantly. All other will need to wait 4 weeks for proper release "for all".

I think it's good solution for porters and donators. What You think?

Hot heads who wants to get the game/app/emu right here/right now can donate and can get a port instantly. All other will need to wait 4 weeks for proper release "for all".

Do as you wish, but as a porter I would dislike this a lot.

Up to now, all the donation I got was for past work. It mean that I'm still free to do what ever I want next.

Getting money upfront mean you'll need to deliver. It become a job. I dont want my free time activity to become a job (or I dont have free time anymore). Beside, all the (generous) donations I got might cover my over-time rate for 3 maybe 4 hours....

Be warned. The people here are used to waiting. Also, why do you want money for your ports so badly?

Well, you can do whatever you want, but I would suggest you should use the repo.

Hmm it is ur choice but asking for money for ports is generally a bad idea since the original work is most probably not yours though I do understand not all ports are a simple re-compile.

So what about donations for the app author are you going to pass some donations down the line to him/her?

I would be more understanding if the app was written by you in the first place.

Sent from my Windows Phone 7 device using Board Express

ZodTTD, is that you? ( Sorry, Zod! )

Donationware has been done, but it's a little controversial. Ultimately nobody can stop you from trying it.

Donators could always leak the beta, too, but such an endeavour would be frowned upon in this community so ferociously that they might think twice.

ZodTTD, is that you? ( Sorry, Zod! )

Hehe, I know what You mean :) . Anyway the basic idea behind donation was to pay all server + domain [that im trying to buy]. I know that FREE DONATIONS never worked for me , when i was doing some apps for Haiku-OS [some of them you can find on HaikuWare]. I've created a very demanded synaptic "clone" called Synthetic Package Manager which was among most downloaded apps on HW. When i was tried to add a free donation only to pay the server from donations [i've had huge server , because Synthetic Package Manager have huge apps database [about 2GB -> more than 1000 apps specially prepared by me for SPM] and reqires a lot of space ], nobody wants to help, even if 90% haiku users used SPM daily [i know because i was checking it daily..] so i dont believe in "honest donation."

Of course i dont want earn more than i need for domain + server, to be honest.

Last edited:
so i dont believe in "honest donation."
I did not believe in donation. I only set-up a donation button because my wife asked me to do so. I though it would be pointless. This community showed me otherwise ;)

On the other hand, if you need money to pay your hosting fee, I have a better solution for you : ED servers.

PM our grand-master ED, he will setup a web-host for you, like notaz, pickle, I and many others have.... for free ;)

My answer is 'Don't know' because I'm not a huge fan of emulators and I would rather donate to the original app's developers or the Pandora project. For some reason I think it's a good thing to do.

I am more inclined to support homebrew developers who take the time to make nice new games or software than a bunch of quick ports.

The ports are greatly appreciated, but the original authors deserve the credit for the application more than the porter does. Once a porter really goes out of the way to make the application run on the Pandora e.g. completely redesigning the interface and porting the engine from directx to opengl ES then it becomes a different matter.

Naturally, it also depends on how important the ported application is to me.

No, no and no. Ports are ports, sometimes bit trickier, usually just trivial or takes time to compile.

You can have donation button and if someone likes it enough, they'll donate. Ultimately if they like the application they probably just donate the original dev.

But whatever, people can do money out of anything.

also I would say it depends on how much of the community is a close community, you find that the might tight nit a community the more likely they will donate.

Put your stuff on pandora apps and the repo with a donations link.Would it be possible to put a paypal buy it link on the Repo or pandora apps for select software?If a product is finished and i guess if the author owns the software or does a lot of work adapting a program emu etc he could charge for it when it was finished.He could also release a demo or half featured version free to show good faith.If its all above board i think its fair to charge money.We might get more polished software this way.I know id have payed for picodrive and pcsxrearmed for example.And when i am employed again notaz will defo get a nice donation for his work.

I will never ever use a piece of software distributed like that.

Back