Smach Z will pose some serious competition to the Pyra

Vs discussions are always boiling down to the lack of a keyboard. I don't understand why people bother to propose devices without keyboard for a comparison - I am really not interested in hearing the rest of the specs then. Even a Sharp Zaurus ZR-5000/FX from 1995 is a better competitor than a Smach Z. 

I suppose that a lot of people don't know for what purpose the Pandora was actually born, at the time, I luckily started following some discussions on the GP32X, so it is clear for me that the keyboard was added to be able to use at the best emulators of older computers, like Amiga and C64, that were already emulated to the other open consoles at the time.

The fact that the Pandora is able to run many modern games makes people thinking that it was instead made for that, but failed... and with this mentality they just consider the Pyra a failure too.

I suppose it's also that many people now never use keyboards, they are somewhat so accustomed to touchscreens that they just don't know how useful is to feel the keys under your fingers, to be able to type without even looking at what you are pressing, because your hands knows where every character is...

Alleged project has been cancelled just a few minutes ago.

smachz.PNG

That came sooner than expected.

Sorry Smach Z, you came in full of your own inflated magnificence looking to give Pyra a beating... and my goodness, you didn't even manage to throw a punch and here you are lying in the dirt, not even able to get up.

Pyra never even made a move, but is just sitting patiently with a knowing little smirk watching you make a fool of yourself in public.

Kids these days...

Now I really miss the original title... for some lulz :D

Anyway I hope that this will give them time to think a little better about the details of the project, and maybe restart things with a clearer vision of the final product.

Anyway I hope that this will give them time to think a little better about the details of the project, and maybe restart things with a clearer vision of the final product.

Or shift to indiegogo for a quick money grab.

Yey! I won 10 bucks! ;)

I doubt they can shift to indiegogo, take a zero off their amounted cash and sure are not going to be able to do such stuff with 15k dollars, not that I believe they could do it with whatever cash in the first place.

edit: they also used the infamous Arnold´s 

SMACH Z will be back...

hahaha, I had a lot of fun with this thread this week, hopefully someone will come with a new one soon, thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
They may well head to Indiegogo with a renewed campaign.

The retro vgs campaign was possibly more shambolic than this.

The retro vgs guys promised similar - to return albeit with a full and more cost effective prototype.

I don't use steam at all so I never was the target market. Pyra is all I need and a Sega Dreamcast, which I just bought as my last one died.

There are a lot of good shmups on the Dreamcast too and Reicast should serve them up nicely for on the go playing.

The OP will have to settle for a 8/10" Windows Cherry Trail tablet paired with an Ipega 9023. At least those are real and available now

Last edited by a moderator:
The OP will have to settle for a 8/10" Windows Cherry Trail tablet paired with an Ipega 9023. At least those are real and available now

His latest wish is for the Pandora/Pyra OS to install on his Galaxy smartphone AND an ICP2 and he's willing to pay $100 for it.  Get your popcorn - it's time for round 2.

But how would he be able to run Steam that way? I´d recommend lowering his $100 pledge for porting an operational system to a phone blob because it is really a super duper easy thing to do.

Canceled project...serves them right. But did you guys know they supposedly posted a survey too, and many of the questions are things like "if we post this on indiegogo will you back it?" and "would you back it if you don't receive a Smach Z as a backing prize?" Wow, can you sink any lower?

I found this from one of the backer comments.

Canceled project...serves them right. But did you guys know they supposedly posted a survey too, and many of the questions are things like "if we post this on indiegogo will you back it?" and "would you back it if you don't receive a Smach Z as a backing prize?" Wow, can you sink any lower?

I found this from one of the backer comments.

Oh my God! Now that is a serious threat to the already outdated Pyra!

I´m starting to think they really should go the indiegogo way so that it brings another 15 days or pure fun. 

I just checked the survey.

Would you back a new Kickstarter campaign aimed only to produce an encapsulated prototype where the rewards wouldn't be the final console?

With all their experience and background? Of course! I´d sell my car for that!

Telling the truth, no I would not, all my money is on the warp drive kickstarter (even without the space ship).

Oh my God! Now that is a serious threat to the already outdated Pyra!

I´m starting to think they really should go the indiegogo way so that it brings another 15 days or pure fun. 

I just checked the survey.

Would you back a new Kickstarter campaign aimed only to produce an encapsulated prototype where the rewards wouldn't be the final console?

With all their experience and background? Of course! I´d sell my car for that!

Telling the truth, no I would not, all my money is on the warp drive kickstarter (even without the space ship).

This response really made me smile! haha well actually this entire discussion has been really fun to me. That's why I took my time last night reading through the whole thing and writing up two giant posts that I don't think anyone would want to read (haha). This discussion really touches my heart haha.

I love on how in the intro video on the Kickstarter how there is a shot of a random guy on the couch giving this opinion why people should back this project. I'm thinking uh who the heck is that guy? haha actually throughout the video it's more like a bunch of guys just saying "hey we don't have anything to show, but give us money and we will make your dreams come true. Trust us, we think it's a good idea, and so should you."

I don't think there's a need to be so harsh against the people behind this. I doubt they did this just to grab money. I think they really believed in the project. They were just over-optimistic and not experienced enough.

Look at the Pyra: even with ED's experience, it's still quite a bumpy road. 

Making a new device is difficult (unless you want a copycat of something existing, or if you just want to sell it on a streetmarket in China) but if there were no people to blindly and over-optimistically do it, we'd have no Pandora and we'd be stuck with the same devices big manufacturers produce over and over.

Back