Skip The Queue

Had a PM from someone who seems prepared to "take a gamble" that his Pandora might be fixable, and asked me to have a go; on the basis that if it can be fixed, great, if not, nevermind. If he progresses with the deal, i'll post lots of pics and "how-to", just in case others can benefit too. He is in the UK, so means quick postage and reasonable postage costs.

;)

Are there any faulty units left?
Another question:
If (in future) a fix for this nub-problem is possible: Can we send these units back for repairing? (Of course I would pay a little amount of money for repairing)

Screeny said:
Of course I would pay a little amount of money for repairing

huh? i think you are joking, aren't you?
this problem is your fault?
the manufacturer has to assume, not you. you have already paid to buy a product without problems.
i don't understand that we have to buy something and finally we have to assume for the manufacturers fault lol...

Last edited by a moderator:
ahahah said:
Screeny said:
Of course I would pay a little amount of money for repairing

the manufacturer has to assume, not you. you have already paid to buy a product without problems.
i don't understand that we have to buy something and finally we have to assume for the manufacturers fault lol...
I mean I would pay the shipping prices or something like that.
Yes you are right but if you want to get your device now you have to make compromises?

ahahah said:

He would be getting a unit with a broken nub with the express understanding that one nub *is* broken. In return, he gets to skip ahead of others in the queue who continue to wait for their fully working Pandoras. It's only reasonable then to pay money to have the nub fixed at a later date ;)

Of course, if a "regular" customer who didn't strike this bargain ended up with a broken nub, I'm extremely sure the OP team would fix it or get that person a new Pandora free of charge :)

I happen to be the one who contacted bacteria. He offered a reasonable price, so I *hope* I'll get good news from Craig later. B)

Mantis said:
I happen to be the one who contacted bacteria. He offered a reasonable price, so I *hope* I'll get good news from Craig later. B)
I didn't say who as I didn't know if you'd want me to!

Anyroad up, if you are interested, let me know.

I do wonder though, reading this topic, why there are so many people desperate to buy a Pandora; the original GP2x is still an excellent platform and plays a number of systems fine, others a bit laggy; it is also a very reasonable price to buy. I was surprised after doing my d-pad and battery mod that no-one wanted to buy it (i'll try ebay soon) - does beg the question - given how good the GP2x is still, why the rush for a Pandora, especially as it has had so many issues so far? I'm curious!

I would ask for one as long as the damage isn't permanent and not much money to fix.

bacteria said:
I do wonder though, reading this topic, why there are so many people desperate to buy a Pandora; the original GP2x is still an excellent platform and plays a number of systems fine, others a bit laggy; it is also a very reasonable price to buy. I was surprised after doing my d-pad and battery mod that no-one wanted to buy it (i'll try ebay soon) - does beg the question - given how good the GP2x is still, why the rush for a Pandora, especially as it has had so many issues so far? I'm curious!

GP2X worked really well for fighting games on CPS2emu and GnGeo2x. Picodrive worked very well too, but outside of that there was a decent bit of lag.

Neither the GP2X or the Dingoo A320 provided the performance in SNES that I had hoped for (then again, I haven't tested SiENCE's new versions of Snes9x). Additionally, the controls on both systems are pretty lacking (if you recall, I was the one who did your GP2X D-pad mod and put up the video). Dingoo's D-Pad is okay when you put a PSP d-pad thing on top of it, but it's not great. The GP2X gobbled batteries like a monster too.

Pandora offers great controls, a full keyboard and touch screen, and a lot more power. That means ScummVM and DOSBox will run better (COMI on ScummVM, more games on DOSBox) and controls will make the gameplay experience so much better. Pandora also offers PSX, N64, Jaguar, Quake III, and possibly even Sega Dreamcast.

So, while GP2X, GP2X Wiz, and Dingoo A320 all do a lot of things well, Pandora offers to do those same tasks better and offers far more.

Agreed. I want to spend more time trying games for two systems I didn't give the effort previously: Atari and Amiga. The keyboard well help greatly for a number of games and emulators. In addition, the secondary reason I'm getting a Pandora is that it's a UMPC, and not a piss-poor attempt at one either. (Many UMPCs lack a keyboard.) Just larger than a DS and can rival some netbooks? Yes please.

bacteria said:
given how good the GP2x is still, why the rush for a Pandora, especially as it has had so many issues so far? I'm curious!
Dual Analogues

Ah, hmm, reconsidering Bacteria's question as a question of "why the rush" instead of simply "why Pandora"...I'm not sure. I guess it's because everyone has been waiting for quite some time.

Until more stuff comes out, I'm not in a HUGE rush to get my hands on it. I'm somewhere in the back of the queue, but I'm not willing to give up a nub for a early Pandora if I don't know it's fixable. Considering I'm probably between 3900-4000 in the queue, if the nubs turn out to be fixable, I may want a faulty one. Otherwise, I'll wait.

I think the only PSX game that uses 2 sticks is Ape Escape, but Quake 3 is a good enough reason to want both nubs.

BTW: I tested SiENCES latest Snes9x4D. It has great compatibility with all sorts of games, but the Dingoo is simply not powerful enough to emulate a good number of games without frameskip, many of which are very important to me. Maybe it was unrealistic to ever expect to play without frameskip...but for me, if it's using frameskip, it's not fullspeed.

quadomatic said:
Ah, hmm, reconsidering Bacteria's question as a question of "why the rush" instead of simply "why Pandora"...I'm not sure. I guess it's because everyone has been waiting for quite some time.

Until more stuff comes out, I'm not in a HUGE rush to get my hands on it. I'm somewhere in the back of the queue, but I'm not willing to give up a nub for a early Pandora if I don't know it's fixable. Considering I'm probably between 3900-4000 in the queue, if the nubs turn out to be fixable, I may want a faulty one. Otherwise, I'll wait.

I think the only PSX game that uses 2 sticks is Ape Escape, but Quake 3 is a good enough reason to want both nubs.

BTW: I tested SiENCES latest Snes9x4D. It has great compatibility with all sorts of games, but the Dingoo is simply not powerful enough to emulate a good number of games without frameskip, many of which are very important to me. Maybe it was unrealistic to ever expect to play without frameskip...but for me, if it's using frameskip, it's not fullspeed.

i always preffered dpad to analgue i think dpad + right nub would be fine on quake

Interesting; looks like the Pandora will run things far better, and games like Quake 3 - well, Yay!!

Concerned though that the early models will be buggy or have other issues, like with the GP2x. It was mentioned that the firmware and product has been developled by more than one source, after all, which never inspires confidence.

Also, yes, I know people have been waiting for ages for a Pandora, however hate to say it, but why not get a small PC notebook instead; they are tiny these days, have far faster processors, can use developed Windows emulators, and you can use a USB gamepad to play into one. Not pocket sized I know, but far more convenient and useful. Yes/no? Let me put it another way - the Pandora 2 years ago would have been quite cutting edge - is it still? Or that ugly phrase that people say these days on the net "how about a PSP dude" with and old firmware model - cheaper too than a Pandora.

Just thinking out loud... devils advocate...

bacteria said:
<br>Interesting; looks like the Pandora will run things far better, and games like Quake 3 - well, Yay!!<br><br>Concerned though that the early models will be buggy or have other issues, like with the GP2x. It was mentioned that the firmware and product has been developled by more than one source, after all, which never inspires confidence.<br><br>Also, yes, I know people have been waiting for ages for a Pandora, however hate to say it, but why not get a small PC notebook instead; they are tiny these days, have far faster processors, can use developed Windows emulators, and you can use a USB gamepad to play into one. Not pocket sized I know, but far more convenient and useful. Yes/no? Let me put it another way - the Pandora 2 years ago would have been quite cutting edge - is it still? Or that ugly phrase that people say these days on the net "how about a PSP dude" with and old firmware model - cheaper too than a Pandora.<br><br>Just thinking out loud... devils advocate...<br>
<br>Where have you been these past three years? All of these topics/questions have been discussed to death, just search the forum.

bacteria said:
but why not get a small PC notebook instead; they are tiny these days, have far faster processors, can use developed Windows emulators,

Haha, I've got a small PC notebook right in front of me. What am I doing here? *shrugs* :huh:
Oh I remember, I need a new handheld! Phew...

Back