Since All We Are Getting Is A Fedex Box

Maybe the only heart should be after 'open' and the others changed to minimal symbols for what the unit can do? Icons for Web, Email, Games etc.

I love this design.... I thought it was perfect the first moment I saw it.
Ironically enough I don't believe the Pandora's packaging should HAVE to be "Hip" or "trendy"
It should just vaguely, creatively show what its all about....and I think that box art is perfect.

With alot of the european, and american and Asian box arts I've seen through many other handheld devices ...... I don't see the "gayness" in this box art.

I'd rather the box art look unique and a bit ambiguous (except for those who KNOW what the Pandora is all about), than to see an IPOD box art..or some other mass marketed piece of trash.
The box art should convey a community built device... a little mysterious and inviting.
thats MO though.

EXACTLY what i felt. i dont see anything fruity about this, and geez, its not like people will look at your box and call you a fruit, especially if you show them whats inside :D
but honestly, accosiating that with anything other than love for the pandora is stupid,

+1 for that boxart

craigix said:
Maybe the only heart should be after 'open' and the others changed to minimal symbols for what the unit can do? Icons for Web, Email, Games etc.
I think id like that

but I also think the box should say "Hellollo!" on it somewhere...

Last edited by a moderator:
MDave said:
This was what I imagined we would get if it wasn't a brown cardboard box. :D

+1 for this one , it gets my vote...Bud

devhace said:
I absolutely LOVE TraylorParks design. It's incredible.
And risk all the Pandora users turning into a bunch of fags? (Don't fucking make the stick joke or anything else you know full well what I mean.)

TJFBryant said:
It should just vaguely, creatively show what its all about....and I think that box art is perfect.
I don't honestly think the box art represents what the Pandora is all about, unless it's a box that shoots hearts and rainbows, you are way off.

CandidStan said:
devhace said:
I absolutely LOVE TraylorParks design. It's incredible.
And risk all the Pandora users turning into a bunch of fags? (Don't fucking make the stick joke or anything else you know full well what I mean.)

Vehement avoidance of anything that could, by any stretch of the imagination, be associated with 'faggotry' is a telltale sign of a closeted homosexual.

The boxart is awesome. The people who think it's gay are the real faggots here.

(LOL, JK- as candidstan and I both know, there are no PILES OF STICKS here!

PoisonedV said:
Vehement avoidance of anything that could, by any stretch of the imagination, be associated with 'faggotry' is a telltale sign of a closeted homosexual.

The boxart is awesome. The people who think it's gay are the real faggots here.

(LOL, JK- as candidstan and I both know, there are no PILES OF STICKS here!
Lol, thats just what I was thinking. I like the design too.

Oh, it took me a second to get the stick joke.
Anyway, the Pandora isn't actually about shooting rainbows and cartoon hearts, so I really don't think it's accurate.

And the rainbow [The one in the original box rendering] just bothers me. I don't understand why brown is there. An RGB rainbow would be awesome. A regular rainbow would be all right. But why are there such random colors in this one? :(

the pandora isn't about being a generic, vector box with smoothed edges, but they used it anyway didnt they

craigix said:

Something like that would be cool. A little while back I suggested some chunky pixel art characters, drawn by someone like Mr Gonzo. A combination of all of the above would be excellent. [edit] For the record though, I love the hearts.
To those who don't "get" the colour scheme, or any of it, go and browse some design mags, fffound.com, maybe even deviantart. It can all get a bit wanky but you'll get a feel for the world of graphic design / digital art. Then, go digging for some of the advertising and product packaging from the 70s and 80s. Games and computers in particular. I'm not saying you'll suddenly love traylorpark's work, but a few things might fall into place. :)

Oh, and CandidStan: More of that crap and I'll be the snitch who requests a holiday for you. Totally not cool.

traylorpark's designs certainly stand out, I'd use one of them if I were the OP team. They have a really nice "retro 80's home computer" style. I especially like his slightly updated box design (which replaces most of the hearts with icons like craigix suggested):

panda_box2.jpg

cappuchok said:
traylorpark's designs certainly stand out, I'd use one of them if I were the OP team. I especially like his slightly updated box design (which replaces most of the hearts with icons like craigix suggested):

panda_box2.jpg
it looks worse. the asthetic isnt the same when the icons are different, furthermore they are icons but they aren't 'iconic'. nice mushrooms though.
another design thats unusable because some people are so afraid of confronting their own sexuality

also, anyone who doesn't "get" the palette has never seen the so called 'vintage' pink floyd, jimi hendrix, etc shirts

PoisonedV said:
it looks worse. the asthetic isnt the same when the icons are different, furthermore they are icons but they aren't 'iconic'. nice mushrooms though.

A suggestion, then: Maybe a row of 'iconic' icons (representing the capabilities of the Pandora) could be placed along one edge of the original box design?

"another design thats unusable because some people are so afraid of confronting their own sexuality"

Is there something horribly wrong with disliking cartoon hearts?

craigix said:
I like that idea. Box art should be pleasing to the eye as well as indicative of the content. It's not that the Hearts are "gay" it's that it's overly sugary. You almost expect there to be a MyLittlePony inside... Like I said I dont think there's anything wrong with a couple of hearts here and there but make the iconagraphy mean something where you can even if you use them to put negative space images of the icons on top of them at least make them more functional. Design is balancing function and style.

I like the Loveheart box, but I think it needs more Tux The Penguin and other interesting characters .. Not just a few hearts (a few are okay), but also some other characters, like craigix suggested ..

Of course I look at this box packaging from the perspective of someone who might see the box in the shelves at a game store .. and if there are love hearts and a few other characters - Tux, and any other "open" game characters we can find - then it'll sell a bit better to those who don't yet know what an OpenPandora is and why its so cool.

So maybe a little collection of 'open' game figures and symbols can be collected and used to replace a few - not all - of the love hearts?

craigix said:
I'd like something friendly and fun.
"Pandora" usualy suggests something evil. So, please no hearts! Devil Horns are OK. :D
Plain black Box would be also OK. The GP2X F100 had a very nice small black silky box, smooth surface, not shiny, simple, perfect. The Pandora deserves something in that Quality.

Back