Silk Screen Poll

what model of the silk screen do you like more?

• Total voters

Well, I voted "First batch", and I'm a first-batcher.

And I'm a first batcher and I voted for "First Batch". I'll be gutted if it doesn't have it printed on how.

If not "First Batch" then any one of the following will do nicely.

Done Waiting.
"Two Months" is so yesterday[sup]tm[/sup]. - Although I think this is more t-shirt material.
See! I wasn't conned.

Sitwon said:
I really like this idea.
I'll let the serial number of my Nintendo DS illustrate what I think of that idea.
dsserial.jpg

The back of the device will be worn down, quickly. If you want to hide the mark away, put it inside the battery compartment; it won't survive on the outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
yannv said:
The back of the device will be worn down, quickly. If you want to hide the mark away, put it inside the battery compartment; it won't survive on the outside.
Exactly. If they really do go with something printed under the device I'll probably cover the area with some kind of transparent foil. They sell those for books and it might just work for the Pandora, as well.

Of course, not putting the logo in sucha high-wear area in the first place would still be preferable.

First post ever on these boards, but I've been devouring every moursel of info posted here for months! (Since I preordered my Pandy anyway.) My vote is for text, but I definitely think "First Edition" has a more official ring to it than "First Batch." I feel like it should also come with a certificate of authenticity to back up that first edition claim so that forty years from now I can sell it for millions*!

* - thousands**
** - most likely hundreds... but who am I kidding, I'm never selling this thing!

Something ocurred to me. It's a bit of a double-edged sword. What about in the odd chance that future batches have minor hardware tweaks that, albeit minor, might make the 1st batch somewhat less desireable for resale? A Pandora with the "First Batch" indication might be less desireable to those who aren't 100% knowledgeable about it, even if the fix is minor. A little bit like a black Oberheim Matrix 1000 vs. a white one. Some black ones had flaky power supplies, although both synths perform wonderfully. So white ones are worth more and are harder to find on eBay.

Just a thought.

MDave said:
It was kinda funny how there was an even split (with a couple more votes for '1 over the pandora logo option') then suddenly a massive take over for the 'First Batch' option :D I wonder who the culprit is.
Who has the time and cares that much about it? I think the culprit we're looking for is overly whiny and needs to find something else to occupy his time. Unless, of course, the culprit finds it really funny in which case he needs to find something else to occupy his time.

sverm said:
Something ocurred to me. It's a bit of a double-edged sword. What about in the odd chance that future batches have minor hardware tweaks that, albeit minor, might make the 1st batch somewhat less desireable for resale? A Pandora with the "First Batch" indication might be less desireable to those who aren't 100% knowledgeable about it, even if the fix is minor. A little bit like a black Oberheim Matrix 1000 vs. a white one. Some black ones had flaky power supplies, although both synths perform wonderfully. So white ones are worth more and are harder to find on eBay.

Just a thought.
In that case first batch units would be less desirable anyway and you'd have to identify what batch you run before selling or get less money. It works exactly like that for WRT45G routers - some revisions are still considered the best platform to run homebrew firmwares on while others are completely unmoddable. You can imagine what that does to their respective market values. And what happens when you sell one and can't tell whether it's a v4 (great for modding), a v8 (useless for modding).

Thus, in the case of first batch units being less desirable than later ones, the absence of external identifying marks would simply mean that sellers would be asked to give the S/N of the unit or do whatever is necessary to identify the batch. So we might as well have a nice little text/logo on the units.

:( Didn't even notice this poll.

Too late I know but I added my support for the Logo with the '1' above. Seems a shame that such a small amount of members get to decide the fate of something that in reality does seem quite important. Maybe this poll should have been a sticky?

Anyway this is my first post and I don't want to come across negative the Pandora is a amazing project and I really appreciate all the hard work and effort everyone in the community has put into it (including the heated debates). I will love it regardless of its little quirks and hopefully I will be able to contribute something usfull in my future posts.

StalkS
(Been watching from the shadows for a long time now).

Actually, if you really look at the poll and think about it... There were 135 people who did not want first batch to be displayed as opposed to the 117 who did (this does not include the second batch choice). So, that should really say alot just by itself. Personally, it doesn't really matter that the other one was chosen. I just wish there was more consistency with what is being silk-screened.

Tuxedomask29 said:
Actually, if you really look at the poll and think about it... There were 135 people who did not want first batch to be displayed as opposed to the 117 who did (this does not include the second batch choice). So, that should really say alot just by itself. Personally, it doesn't really matter that the other one was chosen. I just wish there was more consistency with what is being silk-screened.

Not quite - you're including people who DID want it to say "First Batch" but in a different font as being against "First Batch" text. At present I make it:

131 - for "First Batch"
121 - against "First Batch"

if we include less bias against "First Batch" but including whatever fake accounts were in there.

Whereas, if we look at the next favourite option - the "1" in the log, we have:

87 - for "1 in logo"
165 - against "1 in logo"

It seems fairly clear to me which one is favourite according to the poll.

Monk said:
Tuxedomask29 said:

Not quite - you're including people who DID want it to say "First Batch" but in a different font as being against "First Batch" text. At present I make it:

131 - for "First Batch"
121 - against "First Batch"

if we include less bias against "First Batch" but including whatever fake accounts were in there.

Whereas, if we look at the next favourite option - the "1" in the log, we have:

87 - for "1 in logo"
165 - against "1 in logo"

It seems fairly clear to me which one is favourite according to the poll.

LOL, Using that logic Monk I currently make it as follows:

121 votes for Text & Logo
122 for a Just Logo (with or without a 1)
4 dont care

As I said... I 'll love it regardless! :D

Well, don't forget you're including about 9 or 10 fake accounts in there for "first batch", maybe more. ;)

I don't know if anyone's thought of this, but if the Pandora team wanted to get a more accurate owner opinion of this, couldn't they have sent out an email to everyone who placed a preorder? It seems to me that there's a large portion of Pandora owners that are largely unrepresented in this poll. Many, I'm sure, don't even check the forums.

Anyway, just sayin'. I'm fine with anything as long as it isn't shouty, and I do plan on getting a new case to experiment with. Not gonna destroy the first batcher. ;)

-Tj- said:
It seems to me that there's a large portion of Pandora owners that are largely unrepresented in this poll. Many, I'm sure, don't even check the forums.

They're most likely the type of people who don't really care, to be fair.

Pleng said:
-Tj- said:
It seems to me that there's a large portion of Pandora owners that are largely unrepresented in this poll. Many, I'm sure, don't even check the forums.

They're most likely the type of people who don't really care, to be fair.

And can't be bothered to sign up just to take part in a poll.
They probably have a view but it's outweighed by the effort. I can relate, as I only signed up recently :lol:

You guys have a point, but I do think a poll open to anyone willing to sign up for it is too easily tampered with. You could argue that whoever made the large number of fake accounts just to vote that many more times really likes the idea, but unless that person is buying that many Pandoras, it's not like they should have a larger voice than anyone else.

But like I said, I'm pretty much ok with whatever comes of this. Just putting my opinion out there for discussion's sake. :p

Back