Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

To Camera I'ld add the option to choose by himself. There is no need, if the costs are worth it... sure! But it's not the gernal use to my opinion.

Today I saw the Lego catalogue with the smartphone of my colleagues. There is an augmented reality on each and everypage of the catalogue. That was a wow moment for me...

of course, you need a camera, internet and that android app.

But you don't need a face camera.  You can stick a little USB one on the back of even the Pandora.  Augmented reality is something I very much look forward to.

When I got my first Pandora and showed it to my wife, her main point of critique was that "you can't use it to make a phone call or send an sms".

That will most likely be fixed in the Pyra -- if you get the 3G module, you'll at least be able to use some kind of VOIP software and some web service to send an sms, and maybe with proper software/hardware support we can do actual phone calls and text directly.

I'm a bit worried that the camera is going to be the "main missing feature" of the Pyra. If you want to replace your phone, gaming handheld and laptop (or tablet) by a Pyra, it has to have all the main features of those devices. Nearly any laptop, tablet and phone comes with a camera nowadays. Internet connections (and video compression) are getting fast enough to make video chat work well in most circumstances, even on the road. QR codes are becoming more commonly used. Etc. etc. Application developers can increasingly make the assumption that a camera is always available.

If we can't get a built-in camera for whatever reason, then I think there should at least be a USB camera accessory available in ED's shop that is guaranteed to work well with the Pyra. Maybe even two: one that is small enough to keep it plugged in and be used as a rear camera only (if such a thing can be found), and one with a flexible arm so it can be aimed at the user too.

When I got my first Pandora and showed it to my wife, her main point of critique was that "you can't use it to make a phone call or send an sms".

That will most likely be fixed in the Pyra -- if you get the 3G module, you'll at least be able to use some kind of VOIP software and some web service to send an sms, and maybe with proper software/hardware support we can do actual phone calls and text directly.

I'm a bit worried that the camera is going to be the "main missing feature" of the Pyra. If you want to replace your phone, gaming handheld and laptop (or tablet) by a Pyra, it has to have all the main features of those devices. Nearly any laptop, tablet and phone comes with a camera nowadays. Internet connections (and video compression) are getting fast enough to make video chat work well in most circumstances, even on the road. QR codes are becoming more commonly used. Etc. etc. Application developers can increasingly make the assumption that a camera is always available.

If we can't get a built-in camera for whatever reason, then I think there should at least be a USB camera accessory available in ED's shop that is guaranteed to work well with the Pyra. Maybe even two: one that is small enough to keep it plugged in and be used as a rear camera only (if such a thing can be found), and one with a flexible arm so it can be aimed at the user too.

This is what I am hoping for - A scenario where I can ditch the phone and carry ONLY PYRA.

[Thought: If we did have all this within Pyra, there's another marketing slogan idea... "ONLY PYRA"]

:)

Ideally I'd be able to make calls, aside from just VoIP type apps.

SMS would be nice, but not too bothered, anyone I text also has emails coming directly to their phones, so I could email them just as easily.

I'd need a camera, but I'm not at all keen on a USB one which I need to have about my person at all times. Unless it was very very small and rigid, so I could essentially just leave it connected to the port at all times.

Also, that camera would have flash, ideally which I could enable without having to launch the camera application. Just a quick flashlight toggle.

I use my phone camera every day, and I use the flashlight every night

Hmm a quick google for linux camera modules brings up

http://www.e-consystems.com/Kameramodul-de.asp

But they only mention linux drivers for OMAP4, as far as I can see.

Those of you who really want a camera (and I do not), could help your case by finding a supplier with offerings for Linux+OMAP5.

Is this relevant?

I have to admit I'm not that clued up at all regarding modules and OMAP etc, other than what I read you guys discussing here - of which a lot is over my head.

http://www.ti.com/devnet/docs/catalog/endequipmentproductfolder.tsp?actionPerformed=productFolder&productId=13220

It's a system on module [sOM]

Mentions OMAP5

Also mentions supports up to 20MP cameras, with unique camera functionalities like hardware enabled real time recognition.

At bottom of that page under the SOM Details heading, it reads: TI generic Linux SDK for OMAP processors, as development tools.

?

Yes, because more money spent on storage means a faster device. More money spent on this is additional complexity and makes for a mediocre camera/camcorder.
I can swap by just creating a partition on my nand/SD.

I can overclock by just typing in several commands.

But getting a camera module on my pyra isnt that easy.

Feature creep, supposedly. More hardware means more testing which means longer development time.

A line needs to be drawn somewhere and EvilDragon, as project manager, has opted to draw that line here.

Probably because it wasn't within his development budget before and (given the result of this thread/poll) doesn't produce enough excitement in the community to make a risky change to his business plan.

edit: ninjad by wizardstan

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really care about a camera but I'm sure that he will lose a lot of potential users just because of the lack of camera.

Definately yes.

For videochat applications nainly and maybe for taking some pictures on the go and directly editing them with gimp or something.

This is something no camera or smartphone can do today :)
There appears to be a Linux version of Skype though I don't see an ARM specific build, so if that isn't a usable route, I wonder a Windows version (even an older one like 3.x or 4.x, as they still actually work) can be used via WINE?

Aah awesome.  Well I'm happier having no E-Ink screen or camera than having both of them.  All of the talk of development hell makes the Pyra sound much closer than I was imagining.

Edit: I think lots of us would still enjoy very little USB cameras to use with the Pandora.  I've only seen any on long bendy necks or cables though.  Have any of you found solid little ones?

I don't really care about a camera but I'm sure that he will lose a lot of potential users just because of the lack of camera.
Well, I'm sure he won't and have probably the same amount of evidence for this belief :)

*here, i wrote tons of rage about it*
*here, i said that i wont buy it, and instead get a NetWalker, LifeTouch Note or one of the Fujitsu clamshells*

*here, i realized that my AS30V with Wi-Fi can easily go as a good camera for it*

Ok. But others still may go into similar rage because of the camera.

Aah awesome.  Well I'm happier having no E-Ink screen or camera than having both of them.  All of the talk of development hell makes the Pyra sound much closer than I was imagining.

Edit: I think lots of us would still enjoy very little USB cameras to use with the Pandora.  I've only seen any on long bendy necks or cables though.  Have any of you found solid little ones?
No, as i said earlier in this post: You shall NEVER find one.
I am experienced in this area.

Also, who needs a camera on the lid? I would prefer it to go between the ports.

NO cam??? Are you serious? What the f...

Oh well, my dream of an all in one device is gone. Great, so we still have to carry a second device like a smartphone with us ...

Back