Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

Know, not. But I have some imagination and say it's almost impossible. There is no camera, small enough to fit into a hinge. It could be under the hinge and the hinge would have some optics. But those optics would probably be very expensive, or the quality would be horribly crappy.
lg-u880-multi.jpg

- Neelix
3ds' internal camera may work too for the webcam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does video4linux streams have support for stereoscopic video? Is that available, not patented?

What bus do you hook it up to, do you stop case production to tell them you want a camera, in the hinge, at an angle.

Who does the work of slotting it in and soldering connectors, do you use ribbons and connectors? How do you assemble the unit, in what order.

And think about the end user. Thats not one piece of tape i have to apply, but two?

ED said that the logo would be transparent so....we could hide the camera! The issue with company which don't want camera would be resolved.

I also don't admire your ability to substitute insult for argument.

ED said that the logo would be transparent so....we could hide the camera! The issue with company which don't want camera would be resolved.
Possible, but not probable. He couldn't market it as a hidden camera, of course. The light could act as a "lens cap".It would also depend on the size of the camera and the shape of the logo.

Overall tho, it would just be easy to put a separated cap on it and not have it hidden behind the logo.

If we can't get it on the lid, then I don't mind if it's on the bottom.

I think there should be an option for both with and with out, priced accordingly. I don't know how much of a PITA that'd be to do, though. If it's not too tedious, though, I think maybe the ones with a camera would be a preorder special, or only make a certain percentage of, say, the first batch, based on the poll above... Just something to chew on...

I think there should be an option for both with and with out, priced accordingly.
The problem with that is that even if you get one without you'd still have to pay the cost of development, in terms of time, money, and case space. And then the cost difference would only be the cost of the actual hardware, a difference of $5, maybe $10.

The best solution is to make a tiny camera you can plug in usb-ports.

A mix bitween these:

lampe-flexible.jpg
ngo-ng-wusbn-mini-dongle-usb-wi-fi-n.jpg

For me, a rear camera is very important. Front camera is for "Advanced Skypers"

A camera on the back would be either too expensive or too low res to be very useful (imo). On the front, you could use for videochat, which would be neat (and useful if you use it for business stuff). A rotating camera that could be used on both sides (like the N800) would be even cooler. But, I'm of the opinion that the extra cost isn't completely necessary. You can always buy small USB cameras or hack your own (or hack it onto the device if it's as hackable as the Pandora).

A camera on the back would be either too expensive or too low res to be very useful (imo). On the front, you could use for videochat, which would be neat (and useful if you use it for business stuff). A rotating camera that could be used on both sides (like the N800) would be even cooler. But, I'm of the opinion that the extra cost isn't completely necessary. You can always buy small USB cameras or hack your own (or hack it onto the device if it's as hackable as the Pandora).
Cameras are cheap. Go take a look at Digikey.

And yes, a rotating camera is awesome

And no, as a embedded developer, i will say that "mini" cameras are nonexistent yet.

I tried searching for one my self... for a serious while.... None exist. You will be VERY (i say VERY!!!) lucky to find something "similar" with bad resolution.

Does MIPI support camera, I wonder? If it does that would mean we could use a single cable for everything in the lid: LCD, i2C, a GPIO or two, and the camera. If it doesn't then that may end up being the biggest challenge: how to get the signal from the camera to the SoC.

Back