Should I have received my final order eMail already?

There are a few ways we can see the charge current:

The 'Power Statistics' app reports charge rates in watts.

For more detail, you can type 'sensors' in a terminal window. That reports the power supply current and charging rate of the battery management chip (see the "bq24297-i2c-1-6b" chip section). It also reports the current flow to or from the battery (see the "bq27421-i2c-1-55" chip section). There are things we can learn from the temperatures reported by the "sensors" command too.

There's another command that gives more low level detail:
sudo /usr/share/pyra/scripts/letux/charger
Well, had to pull myself from playing some GBA. Device is relatively hot. No charging happens (USB3 plugged in this particular case):

bq24297-i2c-1-6b
Adapter: OMAP I2C adapter
in0: +0.00 V
temp ambient: +22.5°C
curr1: +0.00 A (max = +3.00 A)

bq27421_0-i2c-1-55
in0: +3.79 V
temp ambient: +40.9°C
curr1: -0.61 A

Now I will turn it off, cool down, repeat and report. By the way, maybe we shall move to some other tread? Like Pyra General information and bug tracker?
Post automatically merged:

And for some really low level detail, you can try:
Bash:
me@pyra:~$ cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq24297/device/registers

Register 09 is the fault state of the battery management chip. It should be 00 if all is good. If its not 00 then we can try to make sense of the value.
Reg 09 looks OK:

pyra:~$ cat /sys/class/power_supply/bq24297/device/registers
reg 00 value 37
reg 01 value 17
reg 02 value 60
reg 03 value 00
reg 04 value 8a
reg 05 value 8c
reg 06 value 73
reg 07 value 4b
reg 08 value 00
reg 09 value 00
reg 0a value 60

Well that all looks normal for a pyra with no charger plugged in.

What about the "charger" script?

Bash:
me@pyra:~$ sudo /usr/share/pyra/scripts/letux/charger
Palmas System STATUS
====================
VSYS: 4061mV
VBUS: 4862mV
VCHG: 0mV
VBATT: 4010mV ca. 74%
IBATT: 0mA
VBKUP: 2513mV
temp: 39mV
type: 1245mV
audio: 186mV
usb id: 2848mV
VMODEM: 4085 mV
IMODEM: 23 mA
PMODEM: 90625 uW

USB Charger /sys/class/power_supply/bq24297
===================
type: USB
online: 1
mode:
volt: 5000000uV
current: 2048000uA
max_current: 3000000uA
temperature: 22.5°C
ID:

Battery /sys/class/power_supply/bq27421-0
==================
type: Battery
present: 1
technology: Li-ion
capacity: 52%
level: Normal
volt: 3982000uV
current: 1226000uA
temp: 42.5°C
charge: 3035000uAh
full: 5334000uAh
design: 6000000uAh
energy: J?
power: W?
cycles:
health:
discharge: s to empty average
remaining: s to empty
charging: s to full

Bash:
Palmas System STATUS
====================

===================
mode:
ID:

==================
cycles:
health:
Well, the charger WAS plugged in when these readings were taken. Multiple chargers in fact, but the readings were exactly the same, except bq24297-i2c-1-6b curr1 was showing "max = +2.00 A" (here we see 3.00 A) at some point either due to high voltage, or temperature, or both.

Pyra is chilling now - I will run more tests, including the charging script, a bit later and report here.

... "max = +2.00 A" (here we see 3.00 A)
The BQ2927 current limit should be 2.00A. I changed a setting to allow 3A current limit on the charging chip. I think the BQ2927's coil can only take 2.7A so I should turn it back down to 2A really.

Well, nothing changed. Except the Pyra did not want to turn on so I had to pull out the battery. Script results (5A QC Huawei charger connected to USB3):
~$ sudo /usr/share/pyra/scripts/letux/charger
Palmas System STATUS

====================
VSYS: 3582mV
VBUS: 36mV
VBATT: 3610mV ca. 32%
VBKUP: 2485mV
temp: 52mV
type: 106mV
audio: 331mV
usb id: 938mV
VMODEM: 3603 mV
IMODEM: 5 mA
PMODEM: 18750 uW

===================
online: 0
mode:
volt: 0uV
current: 0uA
ID:

==================
capacity: 22%
volt: 3721000uV
current: -789000uA
temp: 29.3°C
charge: 1332000uAh
full: 5415000uAh
cycles:
health:

~$ sensors
ina231-i2c-1-4f
in1: +3.63 V
power1: 128.12 mW
curr1: +0.04 A

bq24297-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +22.5°C

bq27421_0-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1: +32.2°C

bq24297-i2c-1-6b
temp ambient: +22.5°C
curr1: +0.00 A (max = +3.00 A)

bq27421_0-i2c-1-55
in0: +3.72 V
temp ambient: +32.2°C
curr1: -0.72 A

I see a lot of people is already thinkering with the Pyra.... I pre-ordered mine in 2016. Last communication was the 8/2020, that case paint interview, but still didn't get any mail or confirmation after that (I got my accepted payment details in DragonBox tho). I think people living in the UK are having a bit of trouble. Should I be worried/still patient?

I see a lot of people is already thinkering with the Pyra.... I pre-ordered mine in 2016. Last communication was the 8/2020, that case paint interview, but still didn't get any mail or confirmation after that (I got my accepted payment details in DragonBox tho). I think people living in the UK are having a bit of trouble. Should I be worried/still patient?
Be patient a pyra will come

Bash:
Palmas System STATUS
====================

===================
mode:
ID:

==================
cycles:
health:
Some additional observations. Both micro USB ports are definitely not dead. I was going to disassemble the Pyra to check the charging circuit with a multimeter when another idea came to my mind. I tried to plug the Pyra (in OFF state) into my windows laptop USB ports (some of them are up to 1.0A). I did notice the Pyra connected, the charge didn't start thought, but when connecting to the Pyra micro USB3 I got notification on the laptop, that it could not provide enough current for the device connected.

This all means that hardware is at least there and doing something. The question is - how to make it do what it should? Being unable to charge the Pyra via its ports is no fun at all...

P.S. Another observation. When I pull out and reinsert the battery, if I connect charging cable to the serial out micro USB - Pyra will turn on and boot on it's own. This happens only with a freshly installed battery.

@Cooper
@ouzle

How bout to build a Wireless Charger Foil under the Battery and directly connect it to the Battery?

Then you can charge the Pyra wireless and the Ports are not so stressed over the Time.

And you can charge the Pyra Battery while she is realy off then :)..like an external Charger but internal.

Edit:
Zwischenablage02.jpg

Inside the Pyra,but under the Battery hidden.

Last edited:
@Cooper
@ouzle

How bout to build a Wireless Charger Foil under the Battery and directly connect it to the Battery?

Then you can charge the Pyra wireless and the Ports are not so stressed over the Time.

And you can charge the Pyra Battery while she is realy off then :)..like an external Charger but internal.
I was thinking about throwing two wires from the battery contacts of Pyra and routing them to a barrel connector, installed somewhere on the Pyra case. But this will require either carrying a special charger with me, or integrating a separate charging circuit - and there is not that much space for it.

Wireless charging coil will also need a special circuit to be placed somewhere.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210421-145541~2.png
    Screenshot_20210421-145541~2.png
    575.4 KB · Views: 107
I was thinking about throwing two wires from the battery contacts of Pyra and routing them to a barrel connector, installed somewhere on the Pyra case. But this will require either carrying a special charger with me, or integrating a separate charging circuit - and there is not that much space for it.

Wireless charging coil will also need a special circuit to be placed somewhere.
You need more Place for a Charging Controller for Wireless Charging?
Maybe i do have here a nice Idea for you.

You can get more place when you build in a Pandora Battery and she have 4000mah which is good too.
I got a Pyra Battery loong Time ago from EvilDragon and he said with little Case Modifications the 6000mah Pyra Battery should fit in a Pandora.
Its only the opposite Way to build a Pandora Battery inside the Pyra:)

You need more Place for a Charging Controller for Wireless Charging?
Maybe i do have here a nice Idea for you.

You can get more place when you build in a Pandora Battery and she have 4000mah which is good too.
I got a Pyra Battery loong Time ago from EvilDragon and he said with little Case Modifications the 6000mah Pyra Battery should fit in a Pandora.
Its only the opposite Way to build a Pandora Battery inside the Pyra:)
By the way, that's one of the next tests I plan - hook up a 18650 battery and check, whether Pyra will charge it. I am still not sure about the possibility of the current battery to cause all these issues. But I need @ouzle assistance for this - most likely we need to trick the Pyra battery temperature sensor. In theory if it works we can have a holder for like eight fast swappable 18650 batteries underneath Pyra for ultimate autonomy.

I will also dig QI receiver circuits - maybe something will fit inside even in the current configuration.

Well, a fresh report. All investigations of the battery not charging issue so far show that it is either charging chip or software malfunction.

As I am not that into messing with the motherboard right now I decided to reflash the Pyra. Downloaded image (pyra-36-install.img.7z), flashed it to an SD, inserted into left slot, booted. Flashing successfully started, went on and asked me to press anykey to finish. Done. No this thing doesn't boot :'( Power on button does nothing except one blink of keyboard and lighting the green logo - screen stays off, nothing happens... Holding power button switchs it off. Reinserting the flash image SD does noting...

Am I an idiot or just unlucky?

@ouzle I've seen your post before you deleted it! :p And you know what? I definitely did what you suggested a number of times in all possible combinations before writing here. But just in case I tried removing battery and powering on without SD card one more time. And it worked! You practice some magic, right?

So I am setting up the device right now. Charging still does not work thought. I will try updating, but do not believe it will solve the issue...

By the way, did you have a chance to check the logs I posted earlier?

By the way, did you have a chance to check the logs I posted earlier?
They look just like mine when the pyra.is unplugged.

The bq24297 charging chip is alive and well because the driver read all the registers correctly.

Can you see the serial monitor (FTDI chip) from a terminal running on another.computer when you plug into.the middle micro USB.port?

I guess the circuit path for VBUS on the USB to the charger chip must have a break in it, or the VBUS 0ohm link resistor is missing from VBUS to the charger chip, or the bq24297 has a broken coil or FET?

Can you see the serial monitor (FTDI chip) from a terminal running on another.computer when you plug into.the middle micro USB.port?
Well, I sorted out (kinda) that now it boots only after I let the battery rest outside for some time. Maybe it is something related to its temperature. When I was able to boot microUSB3 port didn't show up when connected as it overloads my laptops USB port and it gets blocked. The other microUSB port (serial-out one) does show up FTDI upon connection.

Id try making the flash disk again from the pyra-36-install.img.7z in case it got corrupt
I will give it a try. Maybe using other versions.

I guess the circuit path for VBUS on the USB to the charger chip must have a break in it, or the VBUS 0ohm link resistor is missing from VBUS to the charger chip, or the bq24297 has a broken coil or FET?
As soon as (if) I manage to make this thing reliably turn on I will try to check those. Some pictures showing where to stick my multimeter probes are extremely welcome :oops:

The bq24297 charging chip is alive and well because the driver read all the registers correctly.
Don't you think that all the issues may be due to a faulty battery temperature sensor or protection circuit? Charging chip communicates with external power sources but does not draw current due to some glitch in battery, for example? Same glitch could prevent it from booting (unless I give it some rest in the fridge)? Do you have an idea how to bypass the battery temperature control? Some kind of an R between ground and sensor terminals? Then I will hook up a 18650 battery and we could see whether it will make any difference.

Back