Should I Get A New 3g Iphone...

I agree.. I think that Nokia did a crap job of choosing a processor for the N95, it wouldve been alot more fun if it had one sightly faster, the screen resolution doesn't help at all with the lag either.
What do you think of the design and position of the keypad? IMO it's just too close to the screen and based too low, also i think it is too flat but that's just my personal preference for fat buttons ;)

EDIT: Sorry if I have highjacked this thread lol

aaron11193 said:
I agree.. I think that Nokia did a crap job of choosing a processor for the N95, it wouldve been alot more fun if it had one sightly faster, the screen resolution doesn't help at all with the lag either.
What do you think of the design and position of the keypad? IMO it's just too close to the screen and based too low, also i think it is too flat but that's just my personal preference for fat buttons ;)

EDIT: Sorry if I have highjacked this thread lol

I don't like the keypad either. The keys are too flat so that you can' feel or touch type. And the cancel button is too close to the button to take you back to the main menu. How often have I when typing had to go back to the messaging menu and find the draft of my last text?

As I said, I do like the phone but it is often just too much work to enjoy it. The k800i though is a great phone, as just a phone, and has the best camera. Would love to get a k850i. How they can say that the camera on the n95 is so great when it takes forever to process a still photo baffles me. The stills from the SE process quick and are of such better quality.

I still have and use my old p800 SE phone, the original battery lasts for well over a week, the phone works still great. I still play the built in solitaire game and enjoy the UI of it. SE make good phones!

But I just think the iphone will be more fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should definitely get an iphone, Not that i think they are any good or anything.

But it will give you something to hold while you are posing in the mirror. :p

Go lubi, Go lubi, Go lubi.

belly.gif

Trooper

The iphone is just proof that people will buy any overpriced overhyped piece of shit that only does things products in its class have been doing for years, if you make it shiny enough and put an i before it.

DisgruntleElf said:
You may be able to buy the Iphone but can you afford the service plan? Here in Canada its a 3 year contract @ $60 a month plus a $7 service fee. Talk about sheer greed. I may be a sad geek but I ain't stoopid.
The plans aren't too much better here. With Telstra it's $279 + $30 per month on a 2 year contract. That includes a "generous" 5MB (yes, that's correct, meg-a-byte) data usage per month.

Stealth Bagel said:
The iphone is just proof that people will buy any overpriced overhyped piece of shit that only does things products in its class have been doing for years, if you make it shiny enough and put an i before it.

Is there anything you DO like or rate? Apart from yourself? Do you only come here to pour scorn on things other people actually like and get pleasure from? Do you actually own an iphone?

You must be an arrogant, sad bitter man. But thanks for adding to this thread.

As an 'equally' young, handsome, successful man I'd say yes!

But then I have the existing iphone and think its great. Well, great apart from the fact the camera doesn't zoom, can't record video and 8gb isn't large enough for an iPod. Its also physically rather large in your already over-stretched pockets...

But the UI is very nice, the web-surfing really works (so much easier to use than a blackberry or equivalent) and most importantly is a pleasure to use.

The monthly cost here in the UK is £35 which isn't a bargain but you get a lot more mins / texts than I ever use (although perhaps being so young, witty etc your social life is a whirl :lol: ), but with 3G you'll make more use of the free data.

So don't bother with an 8gb, get a 16gb and then use something else for photos / videocam.

And ignore the apple haters - they are just as extreme in their dedication as the fanboys.

andyB911 said:
As an 'equally' young, handsome, successful man I'd say yes!

But then I have the existing iphone and think its great. Well, great apart from the fact the camera doesn't zoom, can't record video and 8gb isn't large enough for an iPod. Its also physically rather large in your already over-stretched pockets...

But the UI is very nice, the web-surfing really works (so much easier to use than a blackberry or equivalent) and most importantly is a pleasure to use.

The monthly cost here in the UK is £35 which isn't a bargain but you get a lot more mins / texts than I ever use (although perhaps being so young, witty etc your social life is a whirl :lol: ), but with 3G you'll make more use of the free data.

So don't bother with an 8gb, get a 16gb and then use something else for photos / videocam.

And ignore the apple haters - they are just as extreme in their dedication as the fanboys.
Actually, I am old and awful! My wife is divorcing me, I have to fight to see my kid. I am broke and getting larger round the middle.

That's why I need this phone!

andyB911 said:
The monthly cost here in the UK is £35 which isn't a bargain
That's a bit of an understatement. £35 is an insane amount of money to spend each month on what essentially amounts to making a few phone calls while not at home. I spend £5/year on my mobile phone.

I'd like to quote Chad's blog here, cos he makes some very good points on this subject.

Why I won't be buying a new Iphone

Because, I know you guys were all wondering. ;)

1) The 2-year contract. I've never had a 2-year contract in my life. For anything. My college was semester to semester. Heck, my marriage didn't last a year. Being locked into a $30 data plan + whatever the calling plan is - per month - for the next 24 months. You realize that is over $700 - *just for the data plan!* - and that's not counting the $199 for the phone itself. In the end, it will cost more than $1000 for the iPhone. To put that in perspective - I pay $10 a month for my phone now. The data plan alone - (keep in mind, there's a voice plan to be added here too) - would cost me almost $500 more over the next two years. And, right now, I can cancel at any time with no ETF.

2) There are better phones. That's right, you heard me. There are *BETTER* phones. The key word being "PHONE". The iPhone is this weird jack-of-all-trades / master-of-none device. It's not a very good phone. I don't want a slippery phone. I don't want a smudgable phone. I don't want a phone that I can't blind-dial. I don't want a phone that I can't swap the battery out of. I don't want a phone I can't swap the SIM out of. I don't want a $200 phone that can't voice dial. Then there's the lack of MMS, the lack of external storage, the lack of copy and paste for crying out loud... It's not a very good phone.

3) There are better pocketable internet devices. The Nokia Internet Tablets kick the iPhone's ass when it comes to pocketable Internet. Let me prove it in one word. FLASH. Yeah. Real desktop Flash - on a device that has a much higher resolution screen, with a physical keyboard. I owned an N800 for almost a year, and it rarely was far away from me. And that model didn't have a keyboard. But it did have a 800 x 480 screen, a real AJAX/Flash capable browser, (there was never a site I couldn't use/view on my N800 - and I use Google Docs, Blogger, and YouTube a lot). Tons of open source software (that didn't have to be approved by Steve Jobs, or anyone else - other than ME, to work on MY device). It did USB in and out - BlueTooth, FM radio, a much faster processor, 2 SD slots... The newer models have all that, plus GPS, plus a physical keyboard. And the new Pandora (the reason I don't have my N800 anymore) will be even more powerful processor, game controls, and the convenient no-in-pocket-accidental dialing clam-shell design.

4) There are better media players. The iPod Touch comes to mind. It doesn't have a monthly fee. But there are also things like the N8x0 series I was talking about. Or the Archos PMPs. Something with removeable (read:unlimited/upgradable) storage. Something with a bigger screen. Something that can play anything. But, seriously, if you just want the iPhone for it's media potential - get the iPod Touch. You'll pay more upfront (now) - but that's all you'll pay. Plus, it's thinner, and you can get more storage. Plus, you can afford to buy a descent phone to go with it.

5) There are better smartphones. Ok - you want an all-in-one. You don't want a phone and an internet device. Get a BlackJack II. Get a BlackBerry. Get an EnV. Get something that will work as a modem. (I really can't believe the 3G iPhone still won't let you BlueTooth pair with another device for Wireless Internet. I should be able to pair the iPhone up with my MacBook and go online.) Get something that will copy & paste - (that is insane - that's GUI 101 - that's features the most basic computers back in the 1980s had). Get something that can open Office documents and PDFs! Get something with a physical keyboard.

6)There are better media phones. This might be harder to prove. but that's just because I'm not a big media phone guy. But to me, external storage is a given. To me, video recording is a given. To me, a decent camera is a given. To me, MMS is a given.

7) There are better GPS devices. Like say, um, any dedicated GPS device. And many GPS enabled phones. Voice recognition is pretty key here. Being big enough to see while mounted in a car is too.

lubidog said:
I want a "descent phone".
Well, the iPhone really is a descent back into the past with its technology. Get something decent instead, with a better contract.

Goity said:
lubidog said:
I want a "descent phone".
Well, the iPhone really is a descent back into the past with its technology. Get something decent instead, with a better contract.

I'm paying £25 p/m for my N95 and I get £200 worth of calls and texts. That's insane, considering the N95 does everything the Iphone does, and usually better.

lubidog said:
Stealth Bagel said:
Is there anything you DO like or rate? Apart from yourself? Do you only come here to pour scorn on things other people actually like and get pleasure from? Do you actually own an iphone?

Hahahaha, don't get too excited I insulted your shiny expensive phone. I've compared Smartphones from years back and the iPhone and they all do the same thing, but the iphone will cost you many times more and you'll have to wait in line for it. Being able to make distinctions between products doesn't make me arrogant, and I'm in a pretty pleasant mood actually, not the 'sad bitter' picture you paint.

How about if I make the only judgement you'll approve? Will that be a 'contribution'?
"lololol iFone r0x0rs! stick it to the man [M$$$$$!!!] think difrent lolololol"

Stealth Bagel said:
lubidog said:
Stealth Bagel said:

Hahahaha, don't get too excited I insulted your shiny expensive phone. I've compared Smartphones from years back and the iPhone and they all do the same thing, but the iphone will cost you many times more and you'll have to wait in line for it. Being able to make distinctions between products doesn't make me arrogant, and I'm in a pretty pleasant mood actually, not the 'sad bitter' picture you paint.

How about if I make the only judgement you'll approve? Will that be a 'contribution'?
"lololol iFone r0x0rs! stick it to the man [M$$$$$!!!] think difrent lolololol"

now, i have to dissagree here.
i do not have an iphone, and have little interest in acquiring one.
three of my family members do, so i have gotten a pretty good amount of hands on time.
three points.
1. powerful. claimed graphical speed comparable to that of the dreamcast. lots of market share due to there being only one phone, so accessories/apps are more common.
2. Web browser. the iphone has the best web browser i have seen on any phone so far, IMHO.
3. price. At 200$, its a lot cheaper than a n95, even if it is unlocked.
honestly, there is no "better" phone, its all a matter of your personal circumstances and preferences.
however, fanboys will NEVAR die, so im going to go shutup now and use my cheapo phone.

Nova said:
I'm paying £25 p/m for my N95 and I get £200 worth of calls and texts. That's insane, considering the N95 does everything the Iphone does, and usually better.
And it does copy-and-paste and video recording! Take that, iPhone.

Back