Iphone 3gs Vs Palm Pre

andyB911

Website
Visit site
I'm not looking to hear from those who are Apple haters (and I'm perfectly aware thats the majority on here). And I know there are some with who hate phones full stop and can't understand why anyone would want more than a basic Nokia circa 1999 :D

But for those who have a 2/3G iphone (or appreciate them for what they are... ) any views on upgrading to iPhone 3GS vs Palm Pre?

I have a 2G iphone (bought when came out so heading for around 2 years old). Its by far my best phone ever and still works fine despite age plus some of the apps are great (now do most of my mobile gaming on it). But, its a bit slow on the internet download so tempted to hand it down to the wife and get a new one.

But then the Palm Pre does look rather interesting and is 'different', but there won't be anywhere near as many apps in the short/medium term.

Thoughts?

I don't own either, and don't love or hate either. But I've been following this with great interest in the last week. If I was in the market, It would be Pre for me.

The Pre will take a while to develop an app library, but IMO has far greater potential if you're into gaming. The 3GS has a nice new SoC with SGX (similar to Pandora). The Pre is running a Cortex-A8 (same as Pandora) minus the SGX. We've already seen what this hardware can do with PSX emulation. The advantage the Pre has is that it's already wide open to hackers, who are apparently able to run code directly on the hardware - unlike on the iPhone, which will always have background processes taking a bite of out performance. Sadly, I don't think third party devs will ever get full access to the 3GS's potential.

The recent hacking developments suggest that the Palm Pre is the open Linux phone I have been waiting for for ages. Back in 2007, once I heard the iPhone was closed, I didn't even consider getting it. Of course, if you are not an idealist, this might not matter that much to you, but on the other hand an open platform means lots of awesome software quickly, as you can see with the handhelds discussed around here. I can't wait for an unlocked GSM Pre and I'd probably spend 600€ on it without even thinking about it...

I had the same dilemma. But in the end it boiled down to the fact that I want to be able to carry my music player and phone in the same device. And 8 GB is just not enough music & app & video space for me. And neither are expandable.

So I will be getting the 16GB iPhone 3GS this friday.

I had the same dilemma. But in the end it boiled down to the fact that I want to be able to carry my music player and phone in the same device. And 8 GB is just not enough music & app & video space for me. And neither are expandable.

So I will be getting the 16GB iPhone 3GS this friday.
I forgot - space is the other issue with my first gen iPhone. I have to keep circulating my music on and off which is a pain. Didn't realise the pre was only 8gb. Unfortunately that has probably sealed the deal for me against the Pre.

Let us know on Friday how you get on....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back