Shipping On The 4Th?

Exophase said:
OP would benefit more to get some small number of units out ASAP. On the other hand, the aggregate customer base would benefit more from a higher overall production rate. Still, if forced to choose the first one is probably the wiser push.

Well, I guess it depends on how fast those goddamn cases do arrive.
Michael will try to mod as many as possible before the cases are there. I guess we will then build the first units while he is still modding the rest.

Last edited:
Exophase said:
OP would benefit more to get some small number of units out ASAP. On the other hand, the aggregate customer base would benefit more from a higher overall production rate. Still, if forced to choose the first one is probably the wiser push.
I like the first one because than we can get some reviews out there :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:

If the cases don't arrive on time we will probably spend a couple of days doing those boards which need the mod. We want to get that whole mod thing out the way early on, as after that it should be smooth sailing :)

craigix said:
If the cases don't arrive on time we will probably spend a couple of days doing those boards which need the mod. We want to get that whole mod thing out the way early on, as after that it should be smooth sailing :)
Have you received any confirmation that the cases have been sent from China?

It is finally all coming together; this is awesome. There's only one issue that's left unresolved: Craig didn't tell us where we should send a gift bottle of Grey Goose to congratulate him. :D

craigix said:
after that it should smooth sailing

no offense but I chuckled a bit

after the volcano thing, I'm a true believer in murphy

craigix said:
The appstore will be live from the weekend with real software on it, so we will be ready to roll for customers.

Great stuff can't wait to get hammering those servers.

Was also wondering about questions 3 to 6, here are my assumptions based on logic, gut feeling and speculation, if any of these are wildly wrong then perhaps a bit of feedback could be forthcoming from those in the know.

3) Should people try and find out their places in the queue or would that swamp the office staff?
Assumption : That would cause no problem whatsoever. Based on there being no request not to do this AFAIK. To me it would be simpler to say if you ordered before date X you're in the first 500, if you ordered before date Y you're in the next 500 etc, but what do I know?

4) How will the Pandoras be delivered? - Hopefully not via UPS.
Assumption : In the UK by Royal Mail or any reputable courier firm except UPS, not sure for the rest of the world. Based on the team wanting Pandoras delivered to customers delivery addresses rather than nearby garden centres.

5) Are the first batchers still going to receive a wifi dongle?
Assumption : Yes. Based on being told we would get one and then not being told we wouldn't.

6) Do you still need volunteers to help with assembly?
Assumption : No. Based on no request being made for volunteers come 4th May.

Cool. A post full of assumptions, the mother of all....

Mr Loon said:
Assumption : Yes. Based on being told we would get one and then not being told we wouldn't.

You honestly think they're going to give out free wifi dongles, when WiFi is actually working now? That's the most crazy train I've ever ridden on.

Awakening said:
craigix said:
Have you received any confirmation that the cases have been sent from China?
I think Craigix just have to take a look at the UPS-Online Package tracker, I bet they have this. Just input the Tracking Number and the magic of the Internet tells you where your Package is at the Moment. :)

Pleng said:

Mr Loon said:

You honestly think they're going to give out free wifi dongles, when WiFi is actually working now? That's the most crazy train I've ever ridden on.

Without answers, assumptions are all we've got. Just hoping to prompt some official response to some simple questions that should be really easy to answer.

As for the wifi dongle, we were told we would get one and then not told we wouldn't AFAIK. Wifi is not fully working at 500KB/s it should be at least 2.0MB/s for class G, if that sort of speed is achieved with the dongle then I would expect the dongle to be included, if the increase in speed does not take it much above 500 KB/s then it would be daft to include it. But unless someone in the know lets us know all we can do is assume & speculate.

Edit : added spoiler

yeah I agree

fusion_power said:
I think Craigix just have to take a look at the UPS-Online Package tracker, I bet they have this. Just input the Tracking Number and the magic of the Internet tells you where your Package is at the Moment. :)
Maybe freight was used as I doubt the cases will fit in an envelope. As far as I can remember Craig said the freight thing follows different rules.

Mr Loon said:
Pleng said:

Mr Loon said:

Without answers, assumptions are all we've got. Just hoping to prompt some official response to some simple questions that should be really easy to answer.

As for the wifi dongle, we were told we would get one and then not told we wouldn't AFAIK. Wifi is not fully working at 500KB/s it should be at least 2.0MB/s for class G, if that sort of speed is achieved with the dongle then I would expect the dongle to be included, if the increase in speed does not take it much above 500 KB/s then it would be daft to include it. But unless someone in the know lets us know all we can do is assume & speculate.

Edit : added spoiler

yeah I agree

There was already a lot of discussion about this...
Did you compare to other device first? I am sure a lot of device out there won't get anything over 1MB/s.
My n800 which is class G and known for it's great wifi (especially it's range and power saving) it maxed at about 750KB/s. I am sure some newer devices are able to do better than this but overall wifi on small handheld are optimized for range and power saving before speed.

Well I do NOT want nor need the wifi adapter if we're already getting 500KB/s. It would simply be a waste of OP's funds for me.

socket said:
Well I do NOT want nor need the wifi adapter if we're already getting 500KB/s. It would simply be a waste of OP's funds for me.

That's a very reasonable speed for a handheld device indeed.

all that rant about abgn wifi top speed is plain lame,

if you get a G device it doesnt mean you get 54Mb instantly
it just means it can operate on G protocol.

Mr Loon said:
Pleng said:

Mr Loon said:

Your assumptions has failed you, I believe.
Your first assumption was that the first batch was definitely getting a wifi dongle. The closest I could find was
craigix said:
Probably going to have to throw in something like this with the first ~1000:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41HdtFh-oZL._SS500_.jpg
Craig saying there was a possibility that the first 1000 would get a wifi dongle.

On the other hand, from the Official blog
blog said:
As we didn't know, we decided we will get some WiFi sticks for the beginning and ask every customer whether he wanted to get the Pandora with a stick and internal WiFi that might be fixable by software or maybe needs a hardware fix later.
but that's EvilDragon saying they they had decided to give wifi sticks to customers for something that maybe needs a fix, after it had already been fixed.
So yeah. We were never officially told that first batchers would definitely be getting a wifi dongle, so there's no need to tell us that we are no longer getting one.

DroneB Dev said:
all that rant about abgn wifi top speed is plain lame,

if you get a G device it doesnt mean you get 54Mb instantly
it just means it can operate on G protocol.
Wait, wait, wait. You mean that just because I have a v12 engine with a hundred million (very tiny) horses under the hood, I can't cruise down the highway at its top rated speed of 666km/h under absolutely perfect conditions? There are other factors involved that limit me? What kind of racket are you running here? The car is rated for high speed, and if I can't get that then I'm going to complain!
(yeah, this car analogy fell apart somewhere. I'll shut up now)

all that went wrong was where you said "highway", it should have read "narrow twisty country lane with fords in the valley section, hairpin bends up the mountain and no asphalt in the jungle section", apart from that, you're good ;)

@WizardStan

It was the official blog post from ED that made me think the decision has been made to include the dongle. Seems pretty unambiguous to me.

However what is slightly ambiguous is as whether WIFI has been fully fixed, or has been made to work better.

@Everyone

WIFI is no biggy to me, I'd happily accept 500KB/s if this was the maximum that could be achieved without major modification to the hardware.

To me the big question is question 6.

Back