Share your projects

I bought a Home-Assistant (HA) Yellow. It requires a separate purchase of a raspberry pi computer module and an m2 disk.
This weekend I tried installing it but I think the drive is faulty. But the process of installation didn't help, it probably goes fine if it works which is hopefully so for most people.

My process:
I installed the SSD in the HA, the pi was already installed (it's the 4GB RAM version). It's a Samsung disk, some no-label OEM version, but probably 970/980-ish.
I created a micro-SD card with the correct PI image installed on it, via Raspberry Pi Imager with the HA-yellow image. Inserted that in the provided SD-card converter, and that in a SD-USB-adapter. The SD-card bundled converter was faulty btw, so I replaced it with one that I knew was working.
I connected the network cable, SD-USB-adapter (with SD inserted), and powered the unit with the provided power adapter.
The unit booted and I noticed an IP was requested on the router, so the networking was working. I assume installation was happening, the yellow light was blinking but it didn't turn to the long period of blinking (the 5sec on/off). So I just waited until it appeared idling and powered the unit off.
I removed the SD-USB-adapter and powered the unit on again. The unit appears idling and no IP address was requested.
Obviously something was wrong, I didn't know what, so I tried the steps a few times over. I also checked the jumper settings, but those were fine. I also removed the SSD to see if it would improve without, but same result.

I read that if the SSD already had some partitioning on it this issue might happen. But as I don't have some m2 adapter to format the drive, I started the direct installation options.
I switched the boot options by holding both blue/red button for 10sec after powering-on. I also switched jumper from UART to USB, and booted into recovery option.
After installing rpiboot and going through the procedure I was presented with an invalid USB device error in windows. I rebooted my pc and reinstalled the drivers, but same result.

I switched to my Linux box, but turns out that had a full disk. My / had 0 bytes free, causing the desktop to fail to boot. I switched to the terminal view (CTLR+ALT+F1) and removed some files, rebooted into desktop mode and checked why my disk was full.
After removing tux kart I had enough free to install my pending updates. I ran apt-get clean and autoremove. I also found some script to remove redundant snap packages, which freed up enough disk space. (
I installed raspberry pi imager and build rpiboot, after already having installed usblib-dev (I installed it first as snap, but that failed on missing libusb).
sudo apt install git libusb-1.0-0-dev pkg-config build-essential
git clone --depth=1
cd usbboot
sudo ./rpiboot
I got the same result as on the windows box.

Online I see HA yellow / raspberry pi 4 compute doesn't always support all SSD brand/types, which I didn't really expect with using a Samsung disk, so I still hope that part is fine.
I read that a failing usb device-descriptor might happen due to a bad usb-C cable. So I switched to a different higher quality cable, same result.

I realized my raspberry pi 4 compute module doesn't feature the eMMC module, so this procedure might not work.
To make sure the disk is actually found I switch the jumper back to UART and tried connecting to the HA unit with the usb-C cable and using PuTTY.
But no COM port was popping up, turns out the drive of this UART module wasn't recognized (missing driver).
So I searched for the driver on the web, as windows didn't find it, I found it here:
After installing this driver I could connect to it on COM3 / 115200 (user=root), don't forget to press Enter to actually see the login screen.
I didn't find any SSD in dmesg / lsblk or /dev/disk/. So I assume that my SSD is faulty.

So I ordered a m2 nvme disk enclosure, so I can check the SSD on a PC. I also ordered a new m2 SSD (one that is claimed to be supported by HA) so I have a working unit.
To be continued...
  • Wow
Reactions: rSl
Installed a brand new disk and it worked. No issues: installed and was up in few minutes.

The other disk was placed in a USB-carrier and works on my pc, so I assume the raspberry pi just didn't see this disk at all for some reason.
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: rSl
I've gone off on yet another tangent. I've created a couple of extensions for the Scite text editor.

They get the character count of an entire document/selected block of text respectively.
  • Add the contents of the properties.txt file to your or file depending on personal preference
  • Move the char_count.lua file to your Scite application directory
  • When you next start Scite two new entries called Document Char Count and Selection Char Count will have appeared in the tools menu
Tested with Scite 5.3.8.

*Attachment removed due to release of updated version*
Last edited:
Here's an updated version of my Scite extension. You can now get the document/selection line count as well as the character count.
  • Add the contents of the properties.txt file to your or file depending on personal preference
  • Move the eld_count.lua file to your Scite application directory
  • Delete the char_count.lua file because its no longer needed
  • When you next start Scite four new entries called Document Char Count, Selection Char Count, Document Line Count and Selection Line Count will have appeared in the tools menu
Tested with Scite 5.3.8.


    3.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Like
Reactions: rSl