Serious Engine source released

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Yeh we have another engine thats been opensourced. This will run the first 2 sam games.

https://github.com/Croteam-official/Serious-Engine

It has a opengl and directx backends. I havnt dug too deep but its uses 1.X type calls, so glshm i expect could handle this.
The one thing im not sure is if they try to use shader programs, if so glshm wont handle those.
It would also need a linux supported window system i.e SDL.

This is a pretty fast engine for the time and I expect it could run well on the pandora.

Edit: Heres the opengl header this should be all the API that they could have used.
I did not see and exts for frag shaders (pre 2.0 api) so I think glshm might be capable to do most the porting work.

https://github.com/Croteam-official...master/Sources/Engine/Graphics/gl_functions.h

Edit 2: we might also see linux code soon too :)

'https://twitter.com/icculus/status/708326894597488642'

Last edited:
Hi all :)

Very good news indeed ! I don't remember having ever played these games before, looking forward to playing them on the Pandora !

Cheers, Magic Sam (Serious :p )

even more fun with network support. I used to spend hours of trying to find all secrets together with my brother playing lan coop.

In fact, someone from them team mention that they wait a Pandora (or maybe Pyra?) port after it release :p.

Cool! However, this prompts a question I have meant to ask for a while: how is this game played without a mouse? While my Pandora's right nub is faulty, admittedly, I find it difficult to imagine it being easy to aim with the nubs. Would all attempts at play need to be on Tourist mode? If the right nub was somehow a trackball then we would have a decent analogue to WASD + mouse, but that was likely never feasible. I can just about play Heretic competently on the Pandora, but that barely ever requires looking up or down and is still substantially worse than being able to quickly and smoothly turn with a mouse.

On the other hand, one of my fantasies is to play games like DOOM and Heretic on the Pyra with a virtual reality HMD, using the head for aim. Serious Sam would probably be just as good an experience. It sha'n't happen for a while, though.

well... there are several ports of serious sam for xbox, xbox 360 and I imagine other next-gen consoles. Those manage without a mouse, too. It works quite well actually. I have serious sam and serious sam se on my original xbox and they are quite fun to play with analogue sticks. It's not really a stealth and snipe game. We can play quake, quake 2, daikatana and half-life on the pandora with the nubs, why should this be a problem now?

well... there are several ports of serious sam for xbox, xbox 360 and I imagine other next-gen consoles. Those manage without a mouse, too. It works quite well actually. I have serious sam and serious sam se on my original xbox and they are quite fun to play with analogue sticks. It's not really a stealth and snipe game. We can play quake, quake 2, daikatana and half-life on the pandora with the nubs, why should this be a problem now?

I have not played these on the Pandora -- my right nub is biased downwards most of the time, so I would end up shooting only the ground. Still, I cannot imagine it being very easy; my aim is not great even with a mouse.

yeah playing with a broken nub sucks. I had that problem on my old cc unit. nothing you can do other then use a mouse. Or send in your pandora and have ED repair it.

Croteam are quite impressive lately: great Linux support for their latest games, ARM ports for NVIDIA, first game to use Vulkan API and now this source release.

Cool, whyle i ditnt think it would run well on my CC Pandora, but Opensource also means, it can be portet to the shiny new Pyra :)
Now i have to find my CDs.., i have "First Encounter" Second Encounter" and Serious Sam 2 (ditnt playd SS2 much..)..

So, using icculus code, I have it built on the Pandora.
serioussam1.png

I have a main menu, with it seems missing texture, half broken sound, and I cannot start a game. But still, it's a start.

Sound & texture are probably due to the STUB in place of ASM routine, that I should start working on (SSE/MMX code for quite a few things...).

The game that doesn't start is more strange. It tries to open Levels/LevelsMP/xxxxx where it's a single player game, so I suppose maps are not stored in LevelMP...

Still a lot of work to do!
[doublepost=1459515008,1459512608][/doublepost]After changing the hardcoded name for 1st level, it does load... but crash later with an Assertion failed...
serioussam3.png

[doublepost=1459533860][/doublepost]So, I compiled as release, so no more assert, and got in game.

There is some reading of DEPTH that I have to check (I hope it's just for some flare and not for aming), and I have some (a lot!) missing textures to fix.
serioussam5.png

Attachments

• serioussam2.png
    serioussam2.png
    337.9 KB · Views: 204
Back