Sega Compiled Mame

Lazrhog

Well, I finally sussed what I was doing wrong with the M68000 stuff and have managed to port all the sega game drivers to the GP2X.

Outrun works perfectly .... at 3fps :(

sega1.jpg

I am guessing Franxis is finding out the same as me. We desperately need the blitter boys to suss out the 2nd processor to give us a copy of SDL that is hardware accelerated ....

I will post some more findings if I find some stuff that is more playable.

If Franxis hasn't got round to releasing his stuff by Xmas, I will dump everything I have done so that at least everyone can have a play - even if for some games it is just for curiousity sake :D

there should be a sdl version with hardware blitter in the open2x cvs, if not you can most likely get it at #gp2xdev at efnet

craigix posted on Dec 22 2005 at 09:22 PM said:
Hey Lazrhog, which 68k core are you using? ASM or C?

And just seeing outrun on the GP2X is amazing!

Hey cool, Craig reads my posts :)

My 68000 is the C port used in X-Mame, so of course there is some room for improvement....

As I said, I'll upload it before the weekend so everyone can have a look if you all want.

Didn't realise there was an SDL update with h/w blitters - I'm off to find out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noooo the megadrive version is awful! Its alarmingly easy on every setting, I don't know what Sega were thinking with that one.

I was so sad when I bought it on import, cut of the side of the cart (which used to take me ages) and completed it on my first go.

The arcade is fuckoff hardcore. Especially if you keep going right.

i did the same, and bought the japanese import from a shop called Microbyte in the greenmarket in newcastle for about £45! Looked brilliant in the shop, until i got it home and realised that i could complete it with my eyes closed on any route/setting!

It was technically good though and did have an extra music track!

Been working on something for Dave C this evening before I go out on the piss, and got Zaxxon working full speed WITH sound :D

Now for a few other currently silent classics :p ... and then onto putting cyclone in as the 68000 driver.

Lazrhog posted on Dec 22 2005 at 08:45 PM said:
Well, I finally sussed what I was doing wrong with the M68000 stuff and have managed to port all the sega game drivers to the GP2X.

Outrun works perfectly .... at 3fps :(

sega1.jpg

I am guessing Franxis is finding out the same as me. We desperately need the blitter boys to suss out the 2nd processor to give us a copy of SDL that is hardware accelerated ....

I will post some more findings if I find some stuff that is more playable.

If Franxis hasn't got round to releasing his stuff by Xmas, I will dump everything I have done so that at least everyone can have a play - even if for some games it is just for curiousity sake :D

AMAZING ! Keep working on it please !. I will release my first MAME GP2X version this evening or maybe tomorrow... You can integrate DRZ80 and CYCLONE cores into your port...

Last edited by a moderator:
Noooo the megadrive version is awful! Its alarmingly easy on every setting, I don't know what Sega were thinking with that one.

I was so sad when I bought it on import, cut of the side of the cart (which used to take me ages) and completed it on my first go.

its the best conversion ever made.... (except yu suzuki gameworks on dc.. but that doesnt really count as its not really available...)

of course it cant compare to the arcade....

It might look the closest but other versions got 'the fear' level much better, the SMS versions (there are 2) are both difficult and vicious on the corners, giving that constant feeling that the slightest mistake will send you smashing into the air.

2 x 68000 and a Z-80 on the CPU Side, if the mame header is anything to go by.

The GBA hardware can just about fake the 'Outrun hardware' powers - in outrun.

A few years back I was told to try to clone thunderblade for a commercial game, but the GBA just can't push that many scaled sprites even when using tricks and a much smaller screen - in other words it could not match the hardware of a system almost 20 years older ;)

The SystemX games have amazing hardware for the time, I still wish Sega had based the Megadrive on it - if they had the MD would have lasted longer than the neogeo.

Back