Who Wants Sound In Asteroids!

mboyko

Still Fresh
I don't know how to set up a voting poll, but anyone who is in favor of full sound support in Asteroids and Asteroid Deluxe (dlxe has some sound but not for shooting or blowing up stuff) post here! I really don't care if it is done through samples or true hardware emulation, I just would really like to see asteroids with full sound support! I donated 20 euros to the development effort and sent Franxis a note regarding this. I suggest others do the same!

Mark Boyko
Videogame Stuff

mboyko posted on Oct 13 2005 at 10:14 PM said:
I don't know how to set up a voting poll, but anyone who is in favor of full sound support in Asteroids and Asteroid Deluxe (dlxe has some sound but not for shooting or blowing up stuff) post here!  I really don't care if it is done through samples or true hardware emulation, I just would really like to see asteroids with full sound support!  I donated 20 euros to the development effort and sent Franxis a note regarding this.  I suggest others do the same!

Mark Boyko
Videogame Stuff

I have posted about this before. There is missing/incomplete sound in alot of MAME games like Zaxxon, Phoenix, Galaxian, Donkey Kong etc. It is because sampled sound code was removed and the author has no interest in adding sound unfortunately. So we are SOL unless some other coder adds sample support.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Oct 13 2005 at 05:24 PM said:
I have posted about this before. There is missing/incomplete sound in alot of MAME games like Zaxxon, Phoenix, Galaxian, Donkey Kong etc. It is because sampled sound code was removed and the author has no interest in adding sound unfortunately. So we are SOL unless some other coder adds sample support.

Don't be so negative! Franxis replied to my email and made no promises, but did not rule out sound support for samples! I just want to show him that there is a lot of interest in adding this feature. My interest is in Asteroids but there are, like you say, many other games that would benefit.

mboyko posted on Oct 13 2005 at 10:43 PM said:
Don't be so negative! Franxis replied to my email and made no promises, but did not rule out sound support for samples! I just want to show him that there is a lot of interest in adding this feature. My interest is in Asteroids but there are, like you say, many other games that would benefit.

Ok I stand corrected then. Every time I asked him he said that " I have no motivation for this so it won't be added, sorry" And "Samples take too much CPU time and will slow down the game too much"

Maybe he changed his mind which would be great if it happens :)

Just curious;

There is sound in Asteroids Deluxe ... is this using samples? (I can't code, so I'm just asking...)

Edit: I just read the other posts more thoroughly ... so, are the missing sounds all sampled?

TelcoLou posted on Oct 14 2005 at 02:12 AM said:
Just curious;

There is sound in Asteroids Deluxe ... is this using samples? (I can't code, so I'm just asking...)

Edit: I just read the other posts more thoroughly ... so, are the missing sounds all sampled?

Yeah the missing sounds are sampled. I remember using old MAME on the PC and at that time many games used samples. Some games used a combintion of samples and emulated sound too like Donkey Kong and Galaxian.

mboyko posted on Oct 13 2005 at 10:43 PM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 13 2005 at 05:24 PM said:
I have posted about this before. There is missing/incomplete sound in alot of MAME games like Zaxxon, Phoenix, Galaxian, Donkey Kong etc.  It is because sampled sound code was removed and the author has no interest in adding sound unfortunately.  So we are SOL unless some other coder adds sample support.

The other option is to take sound emulation code from later versions that had the sound emulated.

To me sound is much more important than something like full screen scaling/stretching which will just make the graphics look ugly.

Back