Sd Cards

Kloplop321 said:
Yeah, well I say the companies are greedy when it comes to the price, usually the wholesale is 1/4 the price or less when directly from the factory. Processors I can semi-understand as there is a TON of research into them, and they have to be made in air environments that have less than 1E-15% dust in the air with the silicon wafers. However, the price of their greed also goes in there.
This is called "capitalism." If you don't like it, go live in Soviet Russia, where processors buy YOU. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Kloplop321 said:
so then (theoretically) what is the max the Pandora can support with it's expected lifetime taken into account?
Unless there's some sort of hardware limit in the OMAP infrastructure, I'd say the limit is set by the O/S you've got installed on your Pandora. In essence that would mean that whatever Linux supports, the Pandora will support.

Ain't Open Source grand? B)

I would rather have power of my own code and my own wit than be a user of Microsoft's eye-candy products which are only dominating because the general population looses most of their educational memory within 10 years after high school, and they don't get a choice when it comes to pre-built computers.

Kloplop321 said:
I would rather have power of my own code and my own wit than be a user of Microsoft's eye-candy products which are only dominating because the general population looses most of their educational memory within 10 years after high school, and they don't get a choice when it comes to pre-built computers.
:lol: Typical linux fanboy.

/\
seriously.
and unless you single handedly coded a OS, the point is kinda moot.
i installed XP for 5. reasons.
1. MUCH broader app support. (including games)
2. reasonably efficient, good layout and interface.
3. It works off the line, minimal hassle, and supports all hardware.
4. support, the wide adoption gives it much broader support from professionals and from other people.
5. because i had a disk lying around.
windows is #1 BECAUSE its #1.

Ohh so now lay it on the "Typical linux fanboy" eh?
There is a Windows compatibility layer in linux you know. I can Run WoW on my computer, but I mainly just use the WINE layer for playing and messing around with the Red Faction Multi player engine for custom LAN parties.

It's funny: I use windows on my "real" computer, and I really just experiment with linux on my other old computer(s), yet I get branded as a Linux Fanboy whenever I mention open-source in most parts of the Internet. Conversely, I get branded as a Windows-moron whenever I pull out my laptop at school where I use Linux exclusively.

I'll argue both sides:

Windows is useful, because the software base is quite large and the fact that it has billions of users means that 90% of software not only runs on it, but is actually written exclusively for it.
The newest versions may be bloated and only fit to run on the newest computers, but you wouldn't try to run the newest linux distro on your old Pentium two either, now would you? (Unless it was designed for that purpose)

Linux, and open-source in general, has many major benefits. I would like to see more people considering open-source software as an alternative to expensive software that does the same thing. Free as in speech software gets developed very fast and bugs get sorted out in realtime, so rather than waiting seven years for an update, you can get an improved version of what you've been using tomorrow if you want. Free as in beer software, of course, has the massive benefit of not costing any money. What's the worst that can happen? If you don't like it, don't use it! I'll try anything free (and not obviously virus-ridden) at least once, just in case I find a real jewel.

I've never had a security breach on any of my computers, so I won't discuss the security of the various operating systems here. All you need to do is practice safe exploration of the series of tubes!

Let's stop this nonsense right now before it gets too out of hand.

Karel Jansens said:
Kloplop321 said:
so then (theoretically) what is the max the Pandora can support with it's expected lifetime taken into account?
Unless there's some sort of hardware limit in the OMAP infrastructure, I'd say the limit is set by the O/S you've got installed on your Pandora. In essence that would mean that whatever Linux supports, the Pandora will support.

Ain't Open Source grand? B)

The hardware limit in the OMAP chip is whatever limit there is in the SDHC specification.

EDIT: The theoretical maximum is 2048GB, although the SD Card Association decided to artificially limit the maximum size of an SDHC card to 32GB.

jbr said:
It's funny: I use windows on my "real" computer, and I really just experiment with linux on my other old computer(s), yet I get branded as a Linux Fanboy whenever I mention open-source in most parts of the Internet. Conversely, I get branded as a Windows-moron whenever I pull out my laptop at school where I use Linux exclusively.

I'll argue both sides:

Windows is useful, because the software base is quite large and the fact that it has billions of users means that 90% of software not only runs on it, but is actually written exclusively for it.
The newest versions may be bloated and only fit to run on the newest computers, but you wouldn't try to run the newest linux distro on your old Pentium two either, now would you? (Unless it was designed for that purpose)

Linux, and open-source in general, has many major benefits. I would like to see more people considering open-source software as an alternative to expensive software that does the same thing. Free as in speech software gets developed very fast and bugs get sorted out in realtime, so rather than waiting seven years for an update, you can get an improved version of what you've been using tomorrow if you want. Free as in beer software, of course, has the massive benefit of not costing any money. What's the worst that can happen? If you don't like it, don't use it! I'll try anything free (and not obviously virus-ridden) at least once, just in case I find a real jewel.

I've never had a security breach on any of my computers, so I won't discuss the security of the various operating systems here. All you need to do is practice safe exploration of the series of tubes!

Beautiful.

jbr said:

I'll argue both sides:

I only use Linux but sadly I have to point out a few perks that Windows has that you missed, backwards compability maybe not the oldest DOS programs but most of the old crap does work and aiming at break free updates (this is the reason their updates take more time and their OS is somewhat bloated to start with *not counting Vistas poor attempt to have a "3D desktop features etc"*, you can't get 100% of that but at least they try), on Linux a simple update of one library file could result in having to recompile everything or break key features and so on.

But biggest of them all, the mother of all reasons why Windows will remain number one until Linux gets it as well, Universal standards! Given that Windows doesn't have as many variations as Linux, that is one reason why Linux is better, you can pick the one that suits you, but it's also the curse that haunts Linux.
Until there is a standard that stretches over "all" distributions or one type of dist. that takes over, Linux will never be able to compete with Windows on a big market, there is too much fighting among the dists. them selfs and there for not many commercial software devs will move to Linux (even tho some really want to) and the level of software won't reach the same heights as for Windows.

But I still prefer Linux ^^

I still prefer linux (even though I broke it twice before it started to love me) I use the Kubuntu variant of Ubuntu.

nerdy
ubuntu ftw
/nerdy
seriously, i use both on my laptop (vista and ubuntu) and both are good for what I use them for. linux, i use for everyday things like web browsing and things like that and windows i use for office. and microsoft student. two high-quality pieces of software written by microsoft. i will normally get branded as a "linux fanboy" but i don't think it's completely fair. Microsoft has some good things to its name. vista just kinda screwed them in terms of reliability.

Again, let's get back on topic. This thread, as the title suggests, is about "SD Cards". Stop talking about Win vs. Lin. There are plenty of other places where that is appropriate. Not here.

Back