Expansys Memory 16Gb Secure Digital Card 2-Pack

350$ for 64Go :blink:
I prefer swapping a bunch of small SD/SDHC cards.
I'll probably get a noname 8Go class 4 (15€€) for roms/mp3/whaterver and a 4Go class 10 (12€€) for softwares, and I think it will be enough for a while.

twent4 said:
Just wanted to post this for Canadian/American customers, from NCIX for CDN$45:
Patriot 16GB class 6

This one is better, for only $30 (free shipping)

Kingston 16GB Class 4

Those patriot ones are usually right on the line. I got an 8GB patriot class 6, which reads/writes at about 6.3-6.5MB/sec. My A-Data Class 6 16GB reads/writes at about 10.5MB/sec. Kingston tends to have high read speeds, too.

Pleng said:
paulguy said:
If you want cheap, you'd have to go with compact flash. Though the "compact" is really a misnomer.

Huh? At what point in the last 10 years has Compact Flash been cheaper than SD?

Never that I can remember.

But it's way faster. Some are suitable for an OS.

http://www.newegg.ca...cend-_-20208528

Last edited by a moderator:
paulguy said:
Well, Sony's memory is also considerably more compact. Be better to compare those to mini/micro SD.

If you want cheap, you'd have to go with compact flash. Though the "compact" is really a misnomer. :p

... how is Sony's memory more compact?

-God Ginrai

Dang! Prices really have gone up! I got a class 6 16GB SD card here in the States for only $30.

Edit: Sorry, I accidentally said it was 32GB!

God Ginrai said:
paulguy said:
Well, Sony's memory is also considerably more compact. Be better to compare those to mini/micro SD.

If you want cheap, you'd have to go with compact flash. Though the "compact" is really a misnomer. :p

-God Ginrai

They are, If you hit them with a hammer, Which is about all they are useful for.

Anyone tried to create a bootable flash drive with a sony memory stick of any kind ?,
How did you fair ?.

Trooper

God Ginrai said:
paulguy said:

-God Ginrai

Physically. Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_memory_cards#Physical_details. Memory Stick Pro Duos, the largest Memory Sticks produced with capacities greater than 4 GB, are smaller in all dimensions than full-size SD cards. They're roughly 1.5 times the size of MiniSD.

typs lik dis said:
God Ginrai said:
paulguy said:

-God Ginrai

Physically. Look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_memory_cards#Physical_details. Memory Stick Pro Duos, the largest Memory Sticks produced with capacities greater than 4 GB, are smaller in all dimensions than full-size SD cards. They're roughly 1.5 times the size of MiniSD.

I don't see how that comparison can be made. One is a much later revision of the original technology and the other is the original technology. That's like comparing Mac OS X to Windows 3.1. The Sony Memory Stick is bigger than the SD physically. And the Memory stick Micro is also bigger than the Micro SD, if you want to try to compare each iteration's smallest form factor.

-God Ginrai

amf66 said:
Dang! Prices really have gone up! I got a class 6 32GB SD card here in the States for only $30.
Surely that's (far) below cost? Where did you get it?

Prometheus said:
amf66 said:
Dang! Prices really have gone up! I got a class 6 32GB SD card here in the States for only $30.
Surely that's (far) below cost? Where did you get it?

I think he's saying that he got it for that price before and now it costs a lot more.

-God Ginrai

The prices for 32GB cards have never dropped that far to my knowledge. :p I'm just curious as to when and where it came from. (Plus my usual concern over fakes, as you might guess! :lol: )

Sorry about the confusion Prometheus, as I said in the edit to my original post the SD card I bought was actually only 16GB. Still, it seemed pretty cheap at the time when I bought it at Micro Center. A better price than what they are now at least.

Ah, that makes much more sense! :lol: That sounds like it's in line with what the prices were a while ago for 16GB (I stocked up on a few back then myself - I'm glad I did).

God Ginrai said:
typs lik dis said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai

Physically. Look at http://en.wikipedia....ysical_details. Memory Stick Pro Duos, the largest Memory Sticks produced with capacities greater than 4 GB, are smaller in all dimensions than full-size SD cards. They're roughly 1.5 times the size of MiniSD.

I don't see how that comparison can be made. One is a much later revision of the original technology and the other is the original technology. That's like comparing Mac OS X to Windows 3.1. The Sony Memory Stick is bigger than the SD physically. And the Memory stick Micro is also bigger than the Micro SD, if you want to try to compare each iteration's smallest form factor.

-God Ginrai

I think that the Memory Stick Pro Duo format is of the same generation as and competes directly with full-size SDHC, which happens to be the same size as old SD (your "original technology.") What else do you propose MSPD is comparable to? Non-Duo Memory Sticks are not manufactured in capacities greater than 4 GB; they have basically been totally superseded in new devices by Memory Stick (Pro) Duos, just as virtually no devices built today support SD but not SDHC.

Furthermore, Memory Stick XC Duo competes directly with full-size SDXC. Here the relationship might be clearer, because (AFAIK) there are no next-gen Memory Sticks larger than Duo. They're the largest, fastest, cheapest, and highest capacity next-gen media of their lineage, just like full-size SDXC. Again, they are smaller.

Memory Stick Micro/M2 might be larger than its SD counterpart, but Sony's full-size media in this generation of flash memory and the next are smaller than SD's.

sorry for the bump

http://www.zoombits.co.uk/ have a bank holiday sale.
get a 16gb kingston sd card for £21 free delivery

just enter the code bank22 valid til the 31st

that is all :p
bought mine now ah well just passing on the offer to someone else

Back