Sd Cards

Whilst we appreciate that some people will have a sense of humour failure now and again, please don't start throwing random insults at other members, as bad things can happen :)

I 'spose I was the one who derailed this thread so, time to put it back on track. How would the Pandora write to lets say dual 64 gig SD cards? would it be RAID 0 or RAID 1? Or possibly something else?

according to the diagrams on Wikipedia
I think that RAID0 would be better than RAID1 for that reason(you'll see why)
150px-RAID_0.svg.png
150px-RAID_1.svg.png

However I would just have one having my user stuff and the other have the programs and installed material.

Yeah, RAID 0 essentially splits your data across both disks to increase bandwidth, while RAID 1 writes the data to both disks as a backup. The question is how much of that benefit will be mitigated by the overhead required. It might be useful, it might not. Hopefully we can get someone to run some tests.

Edit: If you do a search for RAID, this has been discussed before.

the only problem is that either we will have to do this digitally or something else as when it comes to hardware there is a 9.75% chance of failure.
I would rather do what I said in my previous posts.

Kloplop321 said:
SD's should be cheaper as it uses the whole space and is not in an adapter.
at the 1/2gb mark its about the same, when you get into high capacity territory SD cards are allot cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
CandidStan said:
How would the Pandora write to lets say dual 64 gig SD cards? would it be RAID 0 or RAID 1? Or possibly something else?
They would be mounted as two separate drives. RAID on the Pandora is a Bad Idea.

I remember that topic now. I still think that RAID would not be worth it; and there are many ignorant people that have no clue what the difference between RAID0 and RAID1

Why are we even discussing this? Does anyone even think that RAID1 across two SD cards in a handheld device is a good idea in the first place? It seems like it's pretty obviously a bad idea to me. This is not a primary computer, it's a handheld for god's sake. Why does anyone need to backup their data on it in the first place? I would think you'd want to back up all your... stuff... on your real computer anyway.

Kloplop321 said:
I remember that topic now. I still think that RAID would not be worth it; and there are many ignorant people that have no clue what the difference between RAID0 and RAID1
/me sighs...

It doesn't matter what "ignorant" people think. (By the by, "ignorant" might be applied to other people...watch what you say about people it might work your way as well...)

RAID 0 exists for "speed" only in the sense that you have dedicated hardware to read from both drives simultaneously or if you don't, to shed the seek times between two pieces of data paired
across the stripes. Since there is no appreciable seek times on an SD and there is no hardware, what, precisely, do you think you'll actually gain by doing RAID 0? Since you have no
hardware for it on the Pandora, this means it has to read first from the first SD and then from the second SD- which has the same speed characteristics as reading the next byte from off
of the same one.

jbr said:
Why are we even discussing this? Does anyone even think that RAID1 across two SD cards in a handheld device is a good idea in the first place? It seems like it's pretty obviously a bad idea to me. This is not a primary computer, it's a handheld for god's sake. Why does anyone need to backup their data on it in the first place? I would think you'd want to back up all your... stuff... on your real computer anyway.
Oh, it's not that they think RAID 1 is a good thing at this point- we've got them all to largely twig onto the fact that you'll slow things down with no good gain from it in the case of RAID 1. It's RAID 0 for "speed" that they think they're going to get a speed lift from it.

Unfortunately, the only speed boost you'd get from software RAID 0 would be from nuking seek times from orbit. There's no appreciable seek times on an SD card, so there's not a lot to gain by it and a lot of work for little to nothing. But...heh...if they want to do it...let them. It's as much a "because I can" thing than anything else and it "sounds cool" to 'em.

i just want to know if there will be a benefit to using class 6 or will class 2 cards be just fine? In seek time maybe, read and write? for media playback, gaming? will there be a significant improvement to using higher class sdhc cards on Pandora?

The SD Card Association said:
SD Speed Class in Actual Use
Class 2 Card:
A speed of 2 MB/s or higher is guaranteed at the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied.
Class 4 Card:
A speed of 4 MB/s or higher is guaranteed at the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied.
Class 6 Card:
A speed of 6 MB/s or higher is guaranteed at the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied.

Back