Scummvm For Gp2x!!!

I have Escape from monkey Island for the PC and I took the files required, popped them into a directory but when I run it it seems to be a 640x480 game. So I just get the initial menu screen where I can only see the top/left corner. and when I select to play the game it just hangs.
Is there any tool out there that can convert it so I can run it or is it a lost cause?.
Shame really... I've never played it and I was hoping I can give it a wirl at work ( during lunch breaks of course ).

yep escape from monkey island is one of the newest scumm games and runs in 640x480. im suprised that it runs at all ;)
perhaps it will be scaled down to 320x240 in a next version, the gp2x has the hardware for it.

it doesn't run at all ...that's what he is writing Sonic...

And.. there's no way it could, because "Escape from Monkey Island" is no 2D Scumm-Game at all.... it uses the 3D Grim Fandango Engine.

The latest running MI Episode is "Curse of Monkey Island" that's a 640x480 2D Game.

Uh, Escape from Monkey Island was Monkey Island 4, 3d and on the GrimeE engine (same one Grim Fandango used) This is not supported by scummvm, i guess you mean Curse of Monkey island (monkey island 3) which was 256 colour 640x400 (or 480)

sorry.. I meant I tried Curse of Monkey Island... my mistake.. anyways.. I guess I should look around to get hold of some of the older games.

thanx for the help.

Man, have to say to NK: Dude, thank's so much for this. I've been playing Sam and Max and Monkey Island 2 non-stop! Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!

Pariah B)

Lagagaffe posted on Dec 19 2005 at 02:43 PM said:
How can we play Monkey Island 2 ?
At the beginning, he asks me a password (2 numbers), but there's no way to write anything...
Press the stick button and it will add zeroes for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried broken sword 1 and it doesn't scale down (only shows a quarter of the screen) does anyone know if anything can be done for the Gp2x to get this to work? I know the game is a higher resolution than the earlier games that work on Scumm, but to know that someone might be able to get it running would be great. Is anyone else working on a port?

Jet Set Willy posted on Dec 20 2005 at 12:29 PM said:
I've tried broken sword 1 and it doesn't scale down (only shows a quarter of the screen) does anyone know if anything can be done for the Gp2x to get this to work? I know the game is a higher resolution than the earlier games that work on Scumm, but to know that someone might be able to get it running would be great. Is anyone else working on a port?

Devs are working on hardware scaling, so it should work - though maybe reading text might be a bit tricky.

Last edited:
Jet Set Willy posted on Dec 20 2005 at 11:29 AM said:

Been working on just that with my port but it looks pretty nasty :(. It was something (along with the lag problems, lack of OGG support, CPU speed selection or virtual key entry ;) and the issue of it saving to the NAND :eek:) that I wanted to get working before I did a release.

The hardware scalar is capable of doing this well enough (there is some marked speed drop however) but the physical effect of losing that many pixels can make the games very unpleasant to look at. I have only managed to get the scalar working in its crude mode thus far so using the fine detail mode may result in a better picture. The higher resolution ScummVM games being technically useable (however slow) is a distinct possibility however it being pleasant to play is another matter entirely ;).

The other option I was looking at was to provide a panning mode. Not sure about that but it was something I was hacking about with.

Good to know that your working on it - I also noticed that there is a broken sword port on the Zodiac I think. The graphics were a bit dodgy looking though.

Jet Set Willy posted on Dec 20 2005 at 06:07 PM said:
Good to know that your working on it - I also noticed that there is a broken sword port on the Zodiac I think. The graphics were a bit dodgy looking though.

BS1 on the Zodiac is a commericial app based on Broken Sword 1 for the GBA with the GFX scaled up/tweaked.

It does not use the same virtual theater engine that is in ScummVM but rather was a rewrite of the game for the GBA

DJWillis posted on Dec 20 2005 at 12:11 PM said:
The other option I was looking at was to provide a panning mode. Not sure about that but it was something I was hacking about with.

Panning mode would be cool even as an option. This way text would still be readable and the GFX would still be intact.

hiya

i transfered over beneath the steel sky the cd version i got from scumm site there are three files .dsk .cpt .dnr

the games runs fine but there is no sound?

how can i fix this do i fiddle with the settings

EDIT: never mind it was just my gp2x bugging out

what about subtitles? are they readable? who tried them? they are in some way helpful for those who arent so fluent in english... :rolleyes:

scumm games owns! i used to play it A LOT when I was younger... but I could play only those games translated to portuguese... including Full Throttle, Sam & Max and The Dig. Even though I knew all puzzles by heart, I playied them like if was watching a cartoon! hehe

there was a time I knew the rolles! in english! and I couldnt speak english by that time! :shock: !

rofl

cheers folks!

It made my day!! :p

Indeed, indeed good old times.
May I assume we have people working on Monkey Island 3 too?

Indeed, indeed good old times.
May I assume we have people working on Monkey Island 3 too?
ScummVM = all of the Scumm games.
The only difference is that MI3 has a resolution of 640*480 so someone will have to make some scaling support.

Back