Scummvm: 0.11.0 "preview 2" Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJWillis

Random GP32/GP2X/Wiz & Pandora Moocher
Website
www.distant-earth.com
Just a quick news post to point out that I have done another 0.11.0 preview release (the last one I hope before the official 0.11.0 release).

You can find more information on my ScummVM news page.

Any feedback on this release would be most appreciated as I am unable to test myself.

How to provide feedback?

In order to help me keep track of requests, bugs etc. I am asking that people kindly report such issues to the correct places (or at least copy them there). I don't spend all my time looking at forums and bug reports placed on random internet forums are never very helpful to me (i.e. they are very unlikely to get fixed). The same applies to feature requests etc. etc.

If you would like me to consider a feature or fix a bug help me to help you by ensuring the reports end up recorded in the one official place.
Note: Feature Requests for 0.11.0 are closed but any requests will be looked at for the next release.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the latest versions of Scummvm yet, I think I have the last one withouf F200 Support. I wanted to ask how I can disable this Mousecursor Acceleration, its useless for D-Pad Usage and costs tons of time to get the cursor at max speed. I haven't found a way to disable the acceleration or increase the cursor Speed. Is there a way? It would really help if the cursor is always instant at Max Speed. :)

Nice release, DJWillis. Quick checked some games on F-100 and F-200 and didn't find any bugs or problems yet. Haven't tried the new supported games yet.

Regards,
Stephan

fusion_power said:
I don't have the latest versions of Scummvm yet, I think I have the last one withouf F200 Support. I wanted to ask how I can disable this Mousecursor Acceleration, its useless for D-Pad Usage and costs tons of time to get the cursor at max speed. I haven't found a way to disable the acceleration or increase the cursor Speed. Is there a way? It would really help if the cursor is always instant at Max Speed. :)
Without the acceleration the mouse pointer is far too hard to get into a specific location (much to quick and skittish). Plus, I liked it the way it is ;), most people do not seem to have a big problem with it.

If you feel this is a problem please report it (a formal ScummVM feature request would be fine with as much detail as you can put in it) and I will see what I can do with options but there is no chance at all of me changing the way the stick input works as part of the 0.11.0 release. The code is frozen apart from bug fixes.

DJWillis said:
fusion_power said:
Without the acceleration the mouse pointer is far too hard to get into a specific location (much to quick and skittish). Plus, I liked it the way it is ;), most people do not seem to have a big problem with it.

If you feel this is a problem please report it (a formal ScummVM feature request would be fine with as much detail as you can put in it) and I will see what I can do with options but there is no chance at all of me changing the way the stick input works as part of the 0.11.0 release. The code is frozen apart from bug fixes.

Ok. Maybe you could add an option in the future where the rate of mouse-speed and the rate of acceleration can be adjusted? :)

DJWillis, thank you for this release, every point and click adventures' fan appreciates your work.

Now for my every "new Scummvm version" question, are Broken Sword 1 and/or 2 fully supported with cut scenes now? I am a huge fan of this series :)

sehs33 said:
DJWillis, thank you for this release, every point and click adventures' fan appreciates your work.

Now for my every "new Scummvm version" question, are Broken Sword 1 and/or 2 fully supported with cut scenes now? I am a huge fan of this series :)
No, what I mean is the new game engines added in the 0.11.0 release are supported (Lure, Waxworks etc. etc.).

The GP2X just does not have the grunt to do the cut scenes in the Sword games (DXA or MP2 really). Same thing really applies to the GP2X running Curse of Monkey Island well, it's just to big a game for the little device.

DJWillis said:
How about a "speed toggle" button instead? You toggle between speeds: Accelerated, Fast, and Slow

(I don't really have problems with the current setup though. I'm just suggesting it. :p )

I tested out the touchscreen as well, and it works great, but I sometimes experience the mouse pointer jumping to a different location on the screen from what I'm actually pointing.

I also want to suggest in the future to include a "click toggle" button for the touchscreen. You toggle between: Left-click, Right-click, and No clicking

I find that the current setup, which combines both left-click & move cursor to be inefficient. Sometimes I just want to move the cursor around the screen to see if there are any objects that would be highlighted, but since it also register a left-click, the character would then move around or interact needlessly. Same goes with the right-click. I sometimes just want the right-click to be executed instead of the left-click. :D

I know this has been reported before, but I also have a problem with the Y button (spacebar). It seems on some games (e.g. Flight of the Amazon Queen, Beneath a Steel Sky, The Curse of Monkey Island (Windows demo)), when I press it, it would repeatedly keep pressing the spacebar, even though I only pressed it once. Is this a bug? :unsure:

Anyway, keep up the good work, and thanks for this nice software. :)

Manjuu said:
How about a "speed toggle" button instead? You toggle between speeds: Accelerated, Fast, and Slow

(I don't really have problems with the current setup though. I'm just suggesting it. :p )

Ok, I’ll look at this if somebody raises it as a feature request. Simple as that ;). Otherwise it stays as it is. To add an option to the GUI requires me to do a fair bit of work to the GUI framework.

Manjuu said:
I tested out the touchscreen as well, and it works great, but I sometimes experience the mouse pointer jumping to a different location on the screen from what I'm actually pointing.
I have got about as far as I can on that without an F200 to test on. I am not sure if the touch screens on some F200's are just dodgy or the code is (the code is fairly simple).

Manjuu said:
I also want to suggest in the future to include a "click toggle" button for the touchscreen. You toggle between: Left-click, Right-click, and No clicking

I find that the current setup, which combines both left-click & move cursor to be inefficient. Sometimes I just want to move the cursor around the screen to see if there are any objects that would be highlighted, but since it also register a left-click, the character would then move around or interact needlessly. Same goes with the right-click. I sometimes just want the right-click to be executed instead of the left-click. :D

I am aware of this limitation, again, it turned out to be hard to do without an F200 and F100 to test on (as, in essence the device type would determine what controller mapping to use by default).

At the moment the basic touch screen is just bolted onto the F100 code. I have a lot of this worked out in my local tree but of course untested ;). I plan to set it up like the DS with the DPAD swapping the touch 'mode' as it would provide another 4 buttons if you did not use it for movement.

Raise it as a feature request if you want.

Manjuu said:
I know this has been reported before, but I also have a problem with the Y button (spacebar). It seems on some games (e.g. Flight of the Amazon Queen, Beneath a Steel Sky, The Curse of Monkey Island (Windows demo)), when I press it, it would repeatedly keep pressing the spacebar, even though I only pressed it once. Is this a bug? :unsure:
Sounds like a bug to me, I vaguely remember it coming up in another thread but I did not look into it. Pop in a bug report and I will look at it if you’re willing to help me test possible fixes.

DJWillis said:
No, what I mean is the new game engines added in the 0.11.0 release are supported (Lure, Waxworks etc. etc.).

The GP2X just does not have the grunt to do the cut scenes in the Sword games (DXA or MP2 really). Same thing really applies to the GP2X running Curse of Monkey Island well, it's just to big a game for the little device.
:(
What if we re-encoded the cut scenes to something easier for the GP2X to play? like xvid for example? wont that work? I guess there will be less load on the 2X :unsure:

sehs33 said:
DJWillis said:

:(
What if we re-encoded the cut scenes to something easier for the GP2X to play? like xvid for example? wont that work? I guess there will be less load on the 2X :unsure:

Considering that would involve adding XVid support to ScummVM I think you can count that out ;).

You have to consider the cut-scenes are controlled 'inside' ScummVM and any playback code would have to be portable, generic and fairly cross platform. Not to mention, of benifit to more then one port ;).

I have looked at using the 940 to offload the MP2 decoding but it does not really help enough (you get maybe another 1-2 FPS, it's still horrid). I have a few ideas for speeding up DXA support but without hardware to test on most of them are still in the 'theory' stage and will stay there for the time being.

DJWillis said:
I plan to set it up like the DS with the DPAD swapping the touch 'mode' as it would provide another 4 buttons if you did not use it for movement.
It's exactly what I was thinking. :)

I'm willing to help test stuff out, but where do I make the requests & bug reports? :huh:

EDIT: Do I post it in the official GP2X ScummVM forum?

Manjuu said:
DJWillis said:
I plan to set it up like the DS with the DPAD swapping the touch 'mode' as it would provide another 4 buttons if you did not use it for movement.
It's exactly what I was thinking. :)

I'm willing to help test stuff out, but where do I make the requests & bug reports? :huh:

EDIT: Do I post it in the official GP2X ScummVM forum?

Is it just me? ;)

Read the 1st post or the article on my site, or the posts in the official forum.

I think it's fairly clear where to put requests and reports :D.

DJWillis said:
Is it just me? ;)

Read the 1st post or the article on my site, or the posts in the official forum.

I think it's fairly clear where to put requests and reports :D.
Woops... silly me... How could I missed that. :rolleyes:

I got too distracted testing the release instead of reading the post properly. :p

(Make note to self, read entire post first before trying the release out. :D )

installed

Future Wars work (I have to print out the manual to beat the copy protection though, annoying hehe)

Lure of the Temptress did not work yet... I tried the version from the maker's website... won't start, works in normal scummvm

will try rewriting the files to be sure...

otherwise, stylus tracking isn't very fast or accurate =/ I mostly end up using the DPad since it's faster...

could we have something like L-Shoulder+Tap=Right Click?

xcen said:
installed

Future Wars work (I have to print out the manual to beat the copy protection though, annoying hehe)

Lure of the Temptress did not work yet... I tried the version from the maker's website... won't start, works in normal scummvm

will try rewriting the files to be sure...
ScummVM is about running the old games, not pirating them ;). Sorry, but that's the way it is. Plus, if you turn of Future Wars copy protection (i.e. bypass it) the game scripts go nuts and the game breaks. The projects policy is we only disable copy protection when there was a version sold without any protection or we have permission from the rights owner.

As for Lure, can you confirm it really is broken.

Did you have a suitable LURE.DAT in the folder with the game files? you can find it here (just download the latest HEAD revision from the top of the page.

You have just reminded me that I really need to add all those files to the ZIP and make it transparent to the user.

If it really is broken then if you could raise a bug report (and include the scummvm.stdout.txt and scummvm.stderr.txt if they contain anything relevant).

xcen said:
otherwise, stylus tracking isn't very fast or accurate =/ I mostly end up using the DPad since it's faster...

could we have something like L-Shoulder+Tap=Right Click?
Read the earlier posts to this thread for some discussion about the F200 input (and the fact that for the 0.11.0 release it is staying at it is). Feel free to chip in your comments to the feature request Manjuu has offered to raise.

Can you try the stylus in 'known good' games like DOTT (use the demo if you don't have the game) or FOTAQ (you can download the full game from ScummVM.org) and provide some feedback on the accuracy?

I am not sure what you mean by 'fast', it is as fast as your hand moves the stylus ;).

I just checked Lure of the Temptress. No problems here. The game is working fine. (At least the first 10 minutes...)

Regards,
Stephan

sbock said:
I just checked Lure of the Temptress. No problems here. The game is working fine. (At least the first 10 minutes...)
Thanks Stephan,

Good to know. I was getting a little worried there.

I have added some small code changes to make the engine-data files transparent to the user from now on (i.e. they will be in the ZIP in an engine-data folder that ScummVM will check before running a game, it makes the ZIP about 1 meg bigger but such is life) that should cut down on people having the wrong engine data or not downloading the correct data files for games like Lure, Kyra etc.

If I can bottom out this daft 'key repeat' issue this afternoon I will release a 'preview 3' tonight with these small fixes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back