Scummvm For The Gp2x: 0.9.1 Preview 2 Released

This is a great port, I'm loving how easy it is to get games running at, as far as I can tell, perfect quality.

I could I make a wee suggestion though... I'm finding moving the cursor to be quite awkward... the way it starts slow then speeds up. I think it would be much more comfortable if the cursor moved at a constand speed, or at least could have the speed adjusted by holding a button down.

For example, at the moment it moves slow then fast.... maybe this acceleration could be disabled in an option, and them the cursor speed could be another option. If the shoulder buttons are being unused, it could be really handy if the general cursor speed was a mid speed, then if you like held L down it would go slowly, or hold R down and it would move quickly.

Just a thought :)

Godmil posted on Oct 25 2006 at 11:41 PM said:
I could I make a wee suggestion though... I'm finding moving the cursor to be quite awkward... the way it starts slow then speeds up. I think it would be much more comfortable if the cursor moved at a constant speed, or at least could have the speed adjusted by holding a button down.

For example, at the moment it moves slow then fast.... maybe this acceleration could be disabled in an option, and them the cursor speed could be another option. If the shoulder buttons are being unused, it could be really handy if the general cursor speed was a mid speed, then if you like held L down it would go slowly, or hold R down and it would move quickly.

The triggers are used quite heavily in the current control scheme but your comments are noted. The mail problem is the pointer speed is such an emotive issue and what you have at the moment is the best overall compromise I could come up with without coding a dual speed pointer like you suggest. Believe me; if I make it slower some people hate it, same if I make it faster. With the current setup (went in with preview 1) most people seem to be happy enough once they get used to it.

Making it a bit nicer and more configurable is on the TODO list but it comes after a bunch of other fixes and things I want to add. I did have the idea of a tiny bit faster pointer and a button that toggles a ‘precision’ mode for ‘pixel hunting’ but I have no idea when I may get around to coding it or if it’s the best solution anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle posted on Oct 27 2006 at 01:24 PM said:
Found another crash bug.

DOTT crashes when I try to wash the carriage with soap and water with hoagie.
DJWillis, let me know you need a save.

Yes please,

I'll work on getting these sorted in SVN HEAD as soon as I can but I am tied up on other projects and helping a mate move house for the next few days.

DJWillis posted on Oct 27 2006 at 08:47 AM said:
Pickle posted on Oct 27 2006 at 01:24 PM said:
Found another crash bug.

DOTT crashes when I try to wash the carriage with soap and water with hoagie.
DJWillis, let me know you need a save.

Yes please,

I'll work on getting these sorted in SVN HEAD as soon as I can but I am tied up on other projects and helping a mate move house for the next few days.

Hey no rush, I will send the save within the next couple of days.

Bad News,

ScummVM is broken on the FW 2.1.0....

I can't save in atlantis,

[root@gp2x scummvm-gp2x-0.9.1-preview2-2006-10-21]$./scummvm.gpe
SDL_GP2X: CreateDevice
SDL_GP2X: VideoInit
SDL_GP2X: Physical screen = 320x240 (ilace = 0)
SDL_GP2X: Looking for a mouse
SDL_GP2X: No mice found
SDL_GP2X: Creating cursor 16x16
SDL_GP2X: Allocated WMcursor @ 0x4ea218 (32)
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocating 256 bytes
SDL_SYS_JoystickInit
SDL_GP2X: SYS_JoystickName(0)
Current working directory: /mnt/sd/Interpretor/scummvm-gp2x-0.9.1-preview2-2006- 10-21
Current save directory: /mnt/sd/Interpretor/scummvm-gp2x-0.9.1-preview2-2006-10- 21/saves
SDL_GP2X: SYS_JoystickName(0)
Using joystick: GP2X_JOYSTICK
WARNING: OSystem_SDL::setPalette: _screen == NULL!
SDL_GP2X: ListModes
SDL_GP2X: Setting video mode 320x240 16 bpp, flags=80000000
SDL_GP2X: FreeHWSurfaces
SDL_GP2X: InitHWSurfaces 0x40025800, 16623616
SDL_GP2X: Screen bucket 0x4ea0dc
SDL_GP2X: First free bucket 0x504280 (size = 16623616)
SDL_GP2X: Creating cursor 16x16
SDL_GP2X: Allocated WMcursor @ 0x504298 (32)
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocating 256 bytes
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager adding new free bucket of 16623360 bytes @ 0x5042b0
SDL_GP2X: SurfaceManager allocated 256 bytes at 0x40025800
Looking for atlantis
Trying to start game 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis'

This are the logs, nothing realy usefull...

Can you help it out ?

paxl

ps: It do the same for Indy3

paxl13,

Let me look into it, it seems to be working just fine on FW 2.1.0 for me (and a lot of other people) and I have been playing a little (not much I will admit) Indy 4 myself complete with doing save games on my own 2.1.0 unit :(. I understand a lot of people have been playing the Indy games without issues other then the 'fight' keys need mapping.

Are you 100% sure it is 2.1.0, does it work fine with 2.0.0 on your unit?

It looks like you may have a problem with save games (I can look into that) but I tend to think it has nothing to do with the FW version, how much space is free on your SD?
It is not marked read only by mistake or anything is it?
You are making sure you exit ScummVM cleanly and not just turning off the unit?

Any more info you have would be great (including what files your using for the games, does it happen in other games etc.)

John

Woo, finally got my SCUMMVM Dedicated SD :p unfortunately I could only afford some cheapo 1GB cards, but anyway, it all used up with SCUMM VM :p

I tested COMI again with this latest version and it no longer crashes which is great :D
The video sequences play ok with some slight noticeable auto-frameskipping going on but the video keeps in sync with the sound at least.

Great Stuff DJWillis

It's probably a Sync Badly done, I've made a script to make sure
it sync when it get out of the interprerttor.. It wokrs now but I remove the whole dir...
Thanks for the support

Next Question is :

What are the best game for ScummVM... ?

Thanks for your anser...

paxl

paxl13 posted on Oct 28 2006 at 03:19 PM said:
What are the best game for ScummVM... ?
Monkey Island 1 & 2, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and Full Throttle are my favourites.

To be honest all of the games are a lot of fun to play.

Just thought I'd say I love the work you're doing. This one of the few things (That I can legally use too!) that really works quite well on the Gp2x. Thought I give a little feedback;

I couldn't get this version (http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,1658) to work on FW2.1 of the Gp2x. I found it did well for most things before then. I played through a lot of simonII on that version.

On this latest preview version, SimonII did run but it was very sluggish to respond (the cursor was 'juttery' -edit) and loading an area seemed to take a while, maybe that's already mentioned.

Anyway good luck, I'll probably post again if I discover something new.

Edit; Ah, just realised that version I linked to isn't strictly speaking yours/your release, oops!

Zeladin posted on Oct 29 2006 at 12:21 AM said:
Just thought I'd say I love the work you're doing. This one of the few things (That I can legally use too!) that really works quite well on the Gp2x. Thought I give a little feedback;

I couldn't get this version (http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,1658) to work on FW2.1 of the Gp2x. I found it did well for most things before then. I played through a lot of simonII on that version.

On this latest preview version, SimonII did run but it was very sluggish to respond (the cursor was 'juttery' -edit) and loading an area seemed to take a while, maybe that's already mentioned.

Anyway good luck, I'll probably post again if I discover something new.

Edit; Ah, just realised that version I linked to isn't strictly speaking yours/your release, oops!

As you noticed, that code was built from my latest port source code at the time (Skywalk requested the latest source directly from myself) but it was not built by me and its only real change (other then some odd defines to suit his taste) was to feature the MMU hack as a code include, that was something that I would not do as I saw including that sort of code as a bad idea for future compatibility *cough* ;).

I can't really offer anything in the way of support for it other then to mention that in ScummVM and my port terms it is rather old ;). I really never found the MMU hack to make a great difference in performance terms with ScummVM due to the way everything is setup but maybe I should revisit letting people use the Kernel Module as an option as what your suggesting is that it might in the Simon engine anyway.

Back