Rogue For Gp32

I've never played this before, but I can see what the fuss is about. It's a really nice little game.

A small bug I found is when using the menu system and pressing 'A' it often then asks you for a direction as if you have pressed 'A' to attack - this often happens when I try to eat, and other things do it too. Just pressing the 'R' button a couple of times and trying again makes it work.

Does anyone who is familiar with this game fancy doing a review for Don's site? If there are no takers then I'll probably do one myself, but would be better from someone who knows the game.....

thanks Lizardos, I'm sure I'll spend some time with this, great stuff!

Rogue is the only game I play on my new BLU+ now , and it rocks. Congrats mate on your hard work.

I only play in 53chars mode. Have to try your new beta now.

If you will have a time and want to make some nice additions to your already great port, please put there an option to speed up "@". Hitting Left for running is toooooo fast for me. And selecting say ... 2 times normal speed in options would be useful.

Great work anyway. Looking forward to new versions already.

I could do with a few pointers...

is there any way to identify scrolls or potions, and do they have random uses on different games or once i find out, are they always the same?

I don't seem to be able to find much food, is this just luck that you find it? even when I search every room I still end up becoming hungry and having no food....

thanks! great stuff..

Best. Rouge. EVER!

Top-notch job, Lizardos. Thank you so much. One tiny 'problem':

When starting a saved game, the stats on the bottom are not visible at first (they show up after going into inventory and using an item, or finding an item/monster, etc.)

is there any way to identify scrolls or potions, and do they have random uses on different games or once i find out, are they always the same?

The effects are the same for that game, but are chosen at random. You identify what it does to you by using it, after that, instead of say finding "a white potion" it will say "a potion of healing" (or whatever effect it had on you.)

I don't seem to be able to find much food, is this just luck that you find it? even when I search every room I still end up becoming hungry and having no food....

Yep, pretty random. Food is represented by a red ":" character, and is sometimes hard to see.

Edit: You did know that "Slime Mold" is food, right?

Tested new beta yesterday and it's nice ... bigger font's size in inventory is really nice. Maybe it 'd be useful to use the same size on the gameover screen aswell - it'd be split into two screens if needed (1st one ... gravestone, 2nd one ... highscore).

And adding option to swap left/right shoulder button's in options menu 'd be fine for us left handed as well.

Maybe I am asking toooo much, but this game simply rocks ... thank you.

frolik posted on Dec 14 2004 at 11:20 PM said:
I could do with a few pointers...

thanks! great stuff..

Scrolls, rings, wands, staffs and potions are different every game, but once you use one, you'll know from then on what it is if you find another one (if that makes sense). There is also a scroll of identification which you can use to tell you what any other item is.

Armour is similar in that you can only find out what class it is by putting it on or using the scroll.

Note that some rings and armour with a negative magic rating are cursed and impossible to remove unless you have a remove curse scroll.

Some of the cryptic messages you get when you use a scroll will give you a clue as to what they do, although it is not immediately obvious, eg. Agravate Monster won't do much if there is no monster in the room!

Last edited by a moderator:
In case anybody is interested, here is my general strategy that I've evolved over the years. I've never got past about level 16 or 17 though...

1) Quaff all potions as soon as you get them - that way you'll find out what they do quicker, and if you take a bad one, it's better to suffer it's effects early on, and you'll likely find a cure quicker too.

2) Don't read any scrolls until you have something worth identifying!

3) Early in the game, use your bow and arrows if you get a chance. Arrows can be thrown without using the bow, but don't do quite as much damage. You can throw anything as a last resort - a spare mace will do some damage. Throw things a Rattlesnakes or they'll sap your strength. Later on, use the same tactics against Aquators or they'll damage your armour (unless you have improved it with a scroll). Leather armour can't be damaged by Aquators.

4) Don't hang around on levels once you've entered each room - every move you make uses your energy. Move diagonally where you can as this counts as a single move. Monsters will chase you diagonally too - move diagonally out of passages if you are being chased or they'll catch you up.

5) Mazes often contain items, so it is worth exploring them fully.

6) If you are searching for a hidden exit, press B a few times then move 3 spaces along the wall and search again - you search the 8 squares around you.

7) Rings seem to be the most powerful element of the game - they can allow you to protect your armour, sustain your strength, reduce your food requirements , etc. However there are some nasty cursed rings.

8) A wand of polymorph can be VERY handy later in the game when the monsters get much harder.

9) Don't bother collecting gold. It just contributes to your final score.

10) Orcs sometimes drop items when you kill them.

11) Leprechauns steal your gold - just kill them for experience points and don't worry about the gold.

12) Ice Monsters usually stay where they are unless you attack them. Usually best to ignore them, although sometimes they also drop items so it may be worth attacking them from range. Never attack them when there is another monster nearby - you can get killed by a bat if your frozen!

13) Nymphs will steal your items - kill them quickly.

14) If you find a room packed with monsters, it will usually be full of goodies too. You'll need to make a decision wether it is worth taking them all on for the spoils, of running away quickly! Feels great when you do beat them all though...

I wonder who'll be first to retrieve the Amulet of Yendor on the GP32?

Hello. Finally I got 5 free minutes, and I did some of the fixes you told me.
frolik posted on Dec 14 2004 at 05:41 AM said:
A small bug I found is when using the menu system and pressing 'A' it often then asks you for a direction as if you have pressed 'A' to attack - this often happens when I try to eat, and other things do it too. Just pressing the 'R' button a couple of times and trying again makes it work.
I only caught it (tell me if you saw it in other circumstances) when you press A and before telling direction (attack = A + pad) you press R to call other comand, because it's stucked in attack command yet. In PC version you have to push f+dir, if you push f+e instead the game will give you the same message 'direction?'

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 14 2004 at 01:56 PM said:
If you will have a time and want to make some nice additions to your already great port, please put there an option to speed up "@". Hitting Left for running is toooooo fast for me. And selecting say ... 2 times normal speed in options would be useful.

OK- Changed pad delay from 200 to 150 milisecs - I tested it and I think it's more playable.

TelcoLou posted on Dec 15 2004 at 01:28 AM said:
When starting a saved game, the stats on the bottom are not visible at first (they show up after going into inventory and using an item, or finding an item/monster, etc.)
OK - Another stupid miss changing the original code :( . I 'think' it´s fixed now.

Hanz™ posted on Dec 15 2004 at 01:57 AM said:
Yep at pretty random. Food is represented by a red ":" charcter, and is sometimes hard to see.
Or sometimes not there at all. :angry: :blink: ;)
OK - Changed food color from red to magenta.

Well, this is not (yet) the enhanced release I wanted to do so don't post it on news.

Greetings Lizardos.

PS: Great guide gruntfuggly!!! I didn't post any help because I'm a poor player (I discovered Nethack half a year ago and really I started to play rogue to port and test it).
If you give me permission I'll translate it and post on gp32spain (and also I'll add it to game docs :) )

Lizardos posted on Dec 15 2004 at 12:05 PM said:
Great guide gruntfuggly!!! I didn't post any help because I'm a poor player (I discovered Nethack half a year ago and really I started to play rogue to port and test it).
If you give me permission I'll translate it and post on gp32spain (and also I'll add it to game docs :) )

Help yourself! I hope I haven't given too much away - the beauty of games like rogue is that you need to discover stuff yourself...

If you are still making changes, is there any chance of highlighting the option currently being changed in the options page? Also can you save all the options, not just the name?

And lastly (and this is being really picky) - how about automatically making the first character of the name upper case?

Keep up the greate work Lizardos!

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 14 2004 at 11:56 AM said:

Don't forget that you can keep moving until you hit something by pressing the left shoulder button at the same time as the joystick. Also, if you use this feature, it is useful to turn on the option to follow passages around corners...

If anybody is still interested, I've found the old ascii guide to Rogue called 'A Guide to the Dungeons of Doom'. I have converted it to HTML and hacked it a bit to be more relevant to the GP32 version.

You can find it here:

http://www.zaonce.com/rogue.shtml

It still needs some work on the command list, but it shouldn't take too long...

Gruntfuggly posted on Dec 15 2004 at 03:03 PM said:
If you are still making changes, is there any chance of highlighting the option currently being changed in the options page? Also can you save all the options, not just the name?

And lastly (and this is being really picky) - how about automatically making the first character of the name upper case?

L+A = Uppercase

The options menu will be corrected on next release (I never thought someone wanted to change the defaluts) and will save al the options too.

Thanks for the guide! I can't read it now (going to work), and think in my offer to translate your strategies (and also your guide when it's finished)
Greetings.

Hey Lizardos do you think you could make it so that saving the game does not automatically reset the GP32, as often I save when I am running low on batteries, and it is annoying that it resets the GP32, as then I have to reload Rogue in order to continue playing etc....
You should make it so that it doesn't reset the GP32, just saves it and Quiting/Resetting can just be left to the GP32 power button....

Thanks!

Hanz™ posted on Dec 15 2004 at 06:38 PM said:
Hey Lizardos do you think you could make it so that saving the game does not automatically reset the GP32, as often I save when I am running low on batteries, and it is annoying that it resets the GP32.
You should make it so that it doesn't reset the GP32, just saves it and Quiting can just be left to the GP32 power button....

I think that reset just after the save is done is intentional and it was the same in the original game - quitting to OS.

As for me, I am happy with current reset after save as I dont have to turn power off and on to make a reset. And I am saving very often these days ... dying at level 5 :(

Gruntfuggly posted on Dec 15 2004 at 12:01 PM said:
4) Don't hang around on levels once you've entered each room - every move you make uses your energy. Move diagonally where you can as this counts as a single move. Monsters will chase you diagonally too - move diagonally out of passages if you are being chased or they'll catch you up.

Unfortunately diagonal moves are not possible in GP32 version yet, or I just didnt figure them out ...

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 15 2004 at 10:39 PM said:

Unfortunately diagonal moves are not possible in GP32 version yet, or I just didnt figure them out ...
Yeah I wondered about that too... ;)

Lizardos posted on Dec 15 2004 at 12:05 PM said:
I only caught it (tell me if you saw it in other circumstances) when you press A and before telling direction (attack = A + pad) you press R to call other comand, because it's stucked in attack command yet. In PC version you have to push f+dir, if you push f+e instead the game will give you the same message 'direction?'
I think you're probably right, I have been fumbling the controls a little! I'll let you know if I get it again

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 15 2004 at 09:39 PM said:

this could be a problem if diags are implemented as mine (and many other) gp32s can't do diagonals.... <_< boo!

I had an idea about the saving thing, what if it automatically saves the game every time you enter a room? then if the batteries die it will automatically reload, then you can remove the save button and use the quit funtion to save and exit - then the only way to cheat is to keep switching off the GP32 and you'll still only go back to the last room....

Also can I ask what clock speed you have this game running at?

Thanks very much for the new version, I'm so into this game... :D

Hanz™ posted on Dec 15 2004 at 08:38 PM said:
Hey Lizardos do you think you could make it so that saving the game does not automatically reset the GP32, as often I save when I am running low on batteries, and it is annoying that it resets the GP32, as then I have to reload Rogue in order to continue playing etc....
You should make it so that it doesn't reset the GP32, just saves it and Quiting/Resetting can just be left to the GP32 power button....

Thanks!
I like the save function to reset the gp, :D if not ppl will save always before each time they will use an unidentified object or when starting a combat. It's a classic feature in all roguelikes.

PiNa1971 posted on Dec 15 2004 at 11:39 PM said:
I tested some key polling code, I have to work more on it. My trick until the fix: I press A, move the pad to the diagonal, then release A. First I got the message of no monster, but then I start to move diagonally.

frolik posted on Dec 16 2004 at 01:14 AM said:
Also can I ask what clock speed you have this game running at?

At default speed (let's see the api... #define CLK_SPEED 59250000) 59 Mhz I think. I thought on slowing it down but I don't know if it will make the batteries last longer.

Greetings.

Back