Release Riot Ttcc Pandora Entries

Look on guitar on fire. It's a nice game, but not that nice. Where have you seen really positive critics on it? Relative to the positive critics you saw on Schizo, Shootet and others?
Look at the high numbers of dingoos, where do they come from?

EDIT: And if the video has to say something: GOF was nearly first! But then suddenly it stopped completly from rising!

@ Schnatterplatsch:
From the compo rules:
The organizers reserve the right to disqualify any votes, suspected to serve to skew the results toward one platform or game, or votes which are suspected of being from a fake profile. The organizers also reserve the right to alter the judging system, e.g. if there are:

- too few entries for a platform
- too few votes for a platform
- skewed quality between platforms
- to little correlation between platforms
- or other unforeseen circumstances
If you're right, then the cheaters will be punished, don't worry :)
EDIT: makes me think about "So lets roll a smile", which won the PACC2010 compo...

Just another:

The results are there: See the feedback in this thread, in the caanoo section and on the official pandora boards. But where are those 35 dingoo guys? All those who voted for GOF?
I haven't read real feedback on the game during voting and what I read is not that great. I played it myself. it's nice, but nothing that runs to 4th place from the nothing.

See the praise AAAA, Schizo, PaperWars, Rainy day and others got. Nothing similar for GOF! WHERE DO THESE VOTES COME FROM?

The only thing that I was wondering with GOF is if it's actually allowed to include songs like "Run to the Hills", "Highway to Hell",... That's copyrighted material, right...

Team voting is a possibility, people getting together (or small communities) and decide to vote for one particular game. Not saying that this is the case for the results, but it's possible.
To be honest, I wasn't expecting Skylark to be any lower than 6th place. I'm not a sore loser, just wasn't expecting this result but I am happy for the winners.

Dragons_Slayer said:
The only thing that I was wondering with GOF is if it's actually allowed to include songs like "Run to the Hills", "Highway to Hell",... That's copyrighted material, right...

Not a chance, I'd assume.
EDIT: The ingame graphics are ripped from Rock Band too! This game should get disqualified, I've sent an email to U9i about it, maybe others should too. This is not fair - they can't go around stealing music and graphics when we all have to make them our self...

Last edited by a moderator:
Magic Sam said:
I hope "Adamant Armor Affection Adventure" will be ported to Pandora, I want to give it a try !
Not a single chance. Get a caaanoo if you wanna play it (cheap theses days)

(naw)mcx said:
Dragons_Slayer said:

EDIT: The ingame graphics are ripped from Rock Band too! This game should get disqualified, I've sent an email to U9i about it, maybe others should too. This is not fair - they can't go around stealing music and graphics when we all have to make them our self...
Agreed. :(

Not to mention, it shares the same name as a Wii homebrew. Crow Riot ported that one to the Wiz. The in-game graphics are different but the flaming guitar in the intro looks the same.

Hey! Congrats Pandora guys on getting a bunch of quality entries into the finals!
I really expected you all to place much higher though, honestly, the quality of the original ideas and execution was very high on the Panda.

to be fair guys, there warent that many entries for dingoo, and one of the entries was buggy during voting and constantly kept getting re-uploaded to fix errors, so pretty much anyone that only has a dingoo, and not any of us here who have pandoras and cannoos, probably voted for guitars on fire

DaMummy said:
to be fair guys, there warent that many entries for dingoo, and one of the entries was buggy during voting and constantly kept getting re-uploaded to fix errors, so pretty much anyone that only has a dingoo, and not any of us here who have pandoras and cannoos, probably voted for guitars on fire

that is a pretty fair point

(naw)mcx said:
Dragons_Slayer said:

I send him a PM... No reaction until now and the messenger states he didn't read it yet.
But I guess GOF will be disqualified. Even if the act of cheating cannot be proven, the copyright infringement is obvious.
Who is the new 6th place then? Skylark? Cannot really make it out from the video.

Schnatterplatsch said:
(naw)mcx said:
Dragons_Slayer said:

I send him a PM... No reaction until now and the messenger states he didn't read it yet.
But I guess GOF will be disqualified. Even if the act of cheating cannot be proven, the copyright infringement is obvious.
Who is the new 6th place then? Skylark? Cannot really make it out from the video.

Here are the top 7-8.
Obiously Paper Wars will be first, but this is a couple of seconds from finish line.
competition.jpg
I think it's pretty sad a ripped game got 3rd.
I'm also quite surprised about Rainy Day, but I get the feeling people only voted for that based on the graphics.

BlackCurtain said:
I'm also quite surprised about Rainy Day, but I get the feeling people only voted for that based on the graphics.
What does your game have more than graphics?
And Rainy Day is a free game, you want to sell your finished game and used the competition as an advertisement platform. I think, you got, what you wanted: The people, who like games like yours, now know your game and will buy it.

But to the "Top 6"-Problem:
I've read every review of all games I found and the most ranks are like I and the review writers expect them.
The only differences are, that Rainy Day and Guitar on Fire got such a high rank.
I assumed, that Rainy Day will be in the Top 6 because of the very nice graphics, but Guitar on Fire REALLY surprised me.
I've read the thread here and there are some good points, why it gets so high.
What I really wonder is, why has Guitar on Fire to get such a good rank before you start to discuss the ownership of the work? NOW, when you know it's rank, you begin to claim a disqualification from the contest... It's a bit late, isn't it?

greetings, Ziz

Ziz said:
BlackCurtain said:
And Rainy Day is a free game, you want to sell your finished game and used the competition as an advertisement platform. I think, you got, what you wanted: The people, who like games like yours, now know your game and will buy it.
Based on that comment I don't think you played my game. I'm not saying Rainy Day didn't deserve to be 4th place, I'm just surprised it did considering it was just a graphical demo. Yes, I'm quite satisfied with my result in the competition.

BlackCurtain said:
Ziz said:
BlackCurtain said:
Based on that comment I don't think you played my game. I'm not saying Rainy Day didn't deserve to be 4th place, I'm just surprised it did considering it was just a graphical demo. Yes, I'm quite satisfied with my result in the competition.
I played the whole level ;-)

BlackCurtain said:
Ziz said:
BlackCurtain said:

Well I fully played your game and I have to say I am in agreement with Ziz here (with the exception that I did not like the graphics, but that's personal taste).
Gameplay was just button mashing, no tactics involved at all and the game had other problems, such as enemies spawning right inside the player, wonky physics (walking in the air or in the ground although that had no impact on gameplay - but also a frustrating jumping mechanic) and mis-aligned hitboxes (to name a few).
Maybe the full game will have more to offer, but from gerthe demo is was not impressed.
I don't want to turn this into a "bash the game you don't like" thread, but just saying Ziz is not alone on that (my full review of all of the games will come later that week - there are others out there with a similar verdict).
The main problem with stuff like that is that you as a developer don't see problems with gameplay at some point as you are so involved with your project and have adopted to the controls and style. It's hard to take a step back and an objective look at your work, I have the same problem.

I was surprised Rainy Day made it that high up the list (heck even the developer apparently was), it sure has nice graphics (in my eyes the best of all the entries, not comparing to 3D), but it's not a game, it's tech-demo, there is no gameplay. People probably voted because they can see a future for this game or were just plain impressed by the graphics, that's nothing I personally would do, but hey I am just that one guy (mainstream market also clearly heads in a more graphic-centric direction, which is a shame imo).
I sincerely hope this will push the developers to make some really nice game of it, the graphics are already there, now you just got to implement some good (non-generic) gameplay.

Anyway, congratulations to all of the winners! :)
You have made some nice games and hopefully the unfinished projects will be fully finished no matter what (Schizophrenia will get done, I have gotten some nice - albeit few - feedback and overall the response about gameplay was positive, so we just got to fix those damn bugs and make the remaining levels - how did people like the graphics btw?).

Personally I was not too surprised seeing 4 of the 6 six games up there, the first two places were a sure bet in my eyes at least.
In the end it all boils down to personal preference and that should be acknowledged, I think three of the more finished/polished games won (Shootet, Puzzletube and AAAA) and a very nice concept with some cool graphics got a well deserved first place.
The only game I personally missed was Prometheon, but it was only released on Pandora (as was Rainy Day though), and even there had some problems running at full speed, so that might be a reason.

Oh and traylorpark, don't forget what you promised :p

Ziz said:
NOW, when you know it's rank, you begin to claim a disqualification from the contest... It's a bit late, isn't it?
to be fair I've seen some questionning about the copyright for this guitar game before the result are known

sebt3 said:
Ziz said:
NOW, when you know it's rank, you begin to claim a disqualification from the contest... It's a bit late, isn't it?
to be fair I've seen some questionning about the copyright for this guitar game before the result are known
I ask some questions, too.
But did someone write a mail to the panel?

BlackCurtain said:
Ziz said:
I played the whole level ;-)
Great. What did you think about it?
I think much like foxblock. The physic is terrible: The character floats in the air and you can fall down, if you should be still on a platform. It was VERY frustrating to jump to a higher place from platform to platform and the last jump was a BIT too short and I have to begin from the begin. -_- Furthermore the enemies spawn in the character. The promised RPG part of the game wasn't there. There were character-levels and I heard it is possible to find/buy a new weapon and a better armor. I didn't find it, but nevertheless it doesn't change much. What about the magic stuff shown in a video before? And e.g. you are able to hit an enemy's sword. Most time it's just button punching. You should have make the level smaller and instead added more RPG features and magic stuff.

Instead of buying a bigger sword, e.g. a bow would be nice. Ranged combat from enemies or to enemies would help to differ the enemy-types... At the moment (except the final enemy) their are just bigger or have another sprite.

I really would like to say, that I look forward to see and play a new version with new features, but new versions seems to be commercial and I don't have a pandora or caanoo.

greetings, Ziz

Back