Update Retrobattle

@Wally : thanks for your help :)

Actually, I just had to add the following lines to my run script:

Code:
if [ ! -d /mnt/utmp/retrobattle-magicsam/.config/retrobattle ] ; then
mkdir .config/retrobattle
fi

And it worked ! I'd rather leave the GID untouched btw ;)

Cheers, Magic Sam
[doublepost=1463407419,1463404513][/doublepost]Hi again !

Hi-score @ ~23k points (level 7, skill 2) :) What about you guys ?

EDIT: new hi-score @ ~34k !

Some freezes here and there though, I'll have to investigate...

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
- I managed to make the PND myself this time, leaving poor @Farox unemployed :p

Oh NO! now i must find some other game to port :p;)
Congrats for the new pnd...i must try this new release...definately one the most fun game available on Pandora (IMHO).

Ciao @Farox !
Oh NO! now i must find some other game to port :p;)
Congrats for the new pnd...i must try this new release...definately one the most fun game available on Pandora (IMHO).
Go back to your demo porting effort, pigro ;) :p
Please let me know what you think about that new PND, OK ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

New hi-score @ ~45k points :D

EDIT: the game freezes sometimes, often at the very beginning of a new level... I still need to find out why (I'll recompile it with the -g flag).

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
Hi all :)

New known bug: a white blinking dot may appear in the level sometimes. It'll stay on screen, even after a "game over". You'll have to exit the application in order to get rid of it.

@Farox : did you have some time to test that new version ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

@Farox : thanks for giving it a try ! Please report here any bug you may find. Also, could you reproduce the bugs I have on my end (freezes + blinking white dot) ?

Finally, what should we do about the older version on the Repo ? At the moment it is disabled. Should it be re-enabled, remain disabled, or deleted ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

no freezes or white dot (at least i have not noted ) on my part.
Since your last version is better delete the older one i think.

@Farox : thanks for your input, it's really appreciated :) Please note that these issues happen randomly and are quite rare, at least on my end. It could take some time for you to notice them...

New hi-score btw @ ~54k points, stage 11, skill 3 :D

What about you ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

I have found a new "bug" (it's more a glitch): some pieces of the level seem to be drawn in places where they shouldn't be. I noticed it twice, every time in the upper left corner.

I'm starting to think the way I use @notaz ' improved SDL to get the game into fullscreen mode could be wrong...

Cheers, Magic Sam

A new build is on the Repo here !
New in build #4

- Switched SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE value from "fullscreen" to "scaled"
- Added game's manual in "Documentation" menu
- Re-arranged screenshots, made the first one more illustrative
- Repackaged properly (package section, GPL and source code details were missing)

@Farox : I also removed the older (2012) version (3 out of 5 stars based on 4 votes, 239 downloads) from the Repo. The comments are below, for historical purposes:

CCF
16/03/2013 22:23 UTC
v0.4.0.1
Nice old school game. Just wish jumping was easier via button mapping 4/5....5/5 if this was fixed.
porg
29/04/2012 18:36 UTC
v0.4.0.1
@Maintainer: Could you please set the most illustrative pic (in-game rather than main menu screenshot) as primary in the PND PXML definition, as many contexts consider only the first pic: MiniMenu preview, Repo RSS feed, PNDManager app info (more pics on demand), etc. Thx! http://pnd.to/previewpic
porg
29/02/2012 13:56 UTC
v0.4.0.1
Inquiries: Remember key bindings & fullscreen setting (via appdata). Better defaults (more Pandora-like): Fullscreen ON; Keyconfig: Change: START to start, A jump, X shoot; Keep: arrow-buttons move, P pause/resume. Keyconfig: One cannot see 4th parameter (must be JUMP), plz fix layout accordingly!
porg
29/02/2012 13:50 UTC
v0.4.0.1
+ Simple but addictive gameplay + Retro gfx & snd + Save ammo approach (instead of mindless shooting) - App does not remember settings, and defaults are not Pandora-optimized. Thus rating it 3. If this is improved, I'd give it a 4!
magic_sam
17/02/2012 11:01 UTC
v0.4.0.1
Many thanks to : - Andreas Remar, who modified the source code to match our 800x480 resolution :) (press F to go fullscreen) - freamon, for his C/C++ Development Tools :) - Farox, who provided the PND :)

EDIT: new hiscore @ 57820 points :D

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
It's ok that you removed my old package...but this new version is no more fullscreen...and all is tiny.

Hi @Farox :)
It's ok that you removed my old package...but this new version is no more fullscreen...and all is tiny.

It's actually a kind of test to see if SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE = "fullscreen" was responsible for the bugs I experienced on my end. If this new version still freezes / glitches, then the culprit has to be found somewhere else, and I'll revert to the previous settings.

The author (Andreas Remar) is aware of those bugs, and I'm waiting for his reply.

EDIT: @Farox : I'm really sorry for the inconvenience, I'll try to find a better solution ASAP !

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:

This new version still glitches, so I think it's safe to assume SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE is not responsible for those bugs.

I'll revert to the previous settings ASAP.

Cheers, Magic Sam

Thanks for porting this to Pandora :) played it last night a bit, no problems here (Classic Pandora, all latest software).
I wanted to post here that i was unabvle to see my C4A "achievement" but haha it is there, all went fine :)

Hi all !

@atari_afternoon : thanks for the kind words, it's REALLY appreciated :D

A new release (build #7) is available on the Repo.
Changelog:

New in build #7

- Switched fusilli options from --cache to --test-me
- Removed fusilli emptycache command

EDIT: this game doesn't need caching as hiscores are stored locally in .config/retrobattle/topscore. In order to prevent the same hiscore to be submitted again and again, I'm now using --test-me instead.

EDIT 2: many thanks to @skeezix who removed all the double entries from the hiscores table, and to @milkshake who added some Retrobattle artwork to the C4A website :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
Back