[RIOT] Puzzletube - searching allies

Ziz

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

The RIOT-MultiPlatform-Mega-Fullspeed-Hyper-Contest runs since a few weeks and I used the time to write a small prototype for a puzzle game. Here is a video of the state of play.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/GMtV8NRcIN0?feature=oembed
What do I need?

You! I need one or more allies. I think most of you know games like Wind and Water. My 3D Engine is not able to use textures, but a pixel artist would still be nice, e.g. for avatars, background pictures, a map, details, letterings (COMBO! DOUBLE! TRIPPLE! YIPPIE-YIPPIE-YEAH-YEAH!) and so one.

You also feel free to join the coding, but... atm my code isn't "ready for another guy". But it would be possible, if you have good ideas.

A guy for music and sound would be nice (and necessary for a REALLY cool game), too.

What do we have?

Principal that, what you can see in the video. ^^ This "prototype" runs on the gp2x, the WIZ, Caanoo, Dingoo and - of course - the Pandora. So this game will be really multi platform. B) You could see, that some stones shake a bit. That happens, if a stone of the same color is in the background, at the other side of the tube. This stone will explode, too, if the waggly stone explodes. To realize this effect (and the extra points at a later point of game), here e.g. I need a cool lettering and sound. ;-)

What happens, if you join?

You see, some things are already done and given. But that's a very small part of the finished game. The game rules, the goal, the game types and so one are free to discus. ;-) You could be part of the most awesome puzzle game EVER!!!111eleven

And you are allowed to work with a German guy with a very "special" English. :p

But, wait a moment... What is about Schizof... Schitsophre... Schetzøp... the other game of foxblock and you?

You are alowed to write as much games and to be in as much teams as you want. I have 3 month, it would be to boring to write just one game :p (Yes, I am a developaholic >.<)

I hope, I will get some allies for my game, but if you are not able to join, still feel free to give comments :)

greetings Ziz

Hey that looks pretty cool :D Good to see someone else make a topic for their RIOT-competition game :)

I still search allies (it could be, that I found one), so I cannot do a lot in the game logics, but I did a design improvement (I hope it is). The darker, waggly stone with the big dot as first change stone was... not good. :huh:

So I changed it. Now the first change stone has a waggly fat border, the "middle" stone has still a point and the second change stone has a static thin border.

Furthermore I improved the control. If you can't move with you first stone in a direction, the first and last stone change position and you move in the other direction. :) But this you have to feel and there are at least two month before you will be able to play my game. :p

Here are some screenshots in "Pandora resolution":

puzzletube01.png
puzzletube02.png

greetings, Ziz

Last edited by a moderator:
Some things happens. I've made some thoughts about the games modes and similar things, but that's no really public stuff at the moment.

Furthermore I changed the design a bit:

puzzletube03.png

The waggly stones look now just a bit other and I decided to use a darker theme. Later their will be stars.

And as last and definitely the coolest news: I have a teammate now. It is nick may, he is in the gp32x board active and if you have a look at his site ( http://nickmaymusic.co.uk/compositions.html ), you will be able to guess, what's he doing: Music. :lol:

greetings, Ziz

Are there plans to texturize this a bit?

This looks too "plain-colored" to me ;)

Are there plans to texturize this a bit?

This looks too "plain-colored" to me ;)
I know, it is possible to render textures with a software renderer on the gp2x and on the (much more powerful) other devices, but my develop skills are just enough for these plain color modells.

And I am not in the mood to support two render modes, where I could not test the better one.

But later you will have Lettering, particles, a more interesting background and things like that, i hope, that helps to improve the impression. :rolleyes:

After a LONG periode of ideling (in fact I had a lot to do in RL :-\), I am proud the show, that many new things happens.

First of all, I did a complete rewrite of my 3D engine. I gave it a name (Sparrow3D), an icon (
f0f53ac052467581cd1fab1a74c26f11.png
), and a total different kind of drawing (e.g. with zBuffer, if somebody knows, what it is ;-), or textures ).

Furthermore I did optimizations, clean up, renames and things like that.

Some weeks ago I reached the point, that my rewrite was able to be used with puzzletube. I changed (and cleaned up again) the puzzletube code and added some stuff, like

• new control mode
  • new way to show the gotten points
  • textures instead of 3D-Models (could be, that I reimplement them later, but the rewrite of the model loader is not done)
  • new star sky
  • new font engine (but the same font)
  • I removed the highscore. I will bring back a better solution later ;-)
  • I fixed lot of bugs, feature requests and some ergonomic stuff

What I got til now, you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/8cggcnFdAn0?feature=oembed
greetings, Ziz

100 fps without hwacceleration. Good job!
This is no screencast from my gp2x or a pandora... This is my pc.

the pandora has at 600 Mhz only 25 fps in texture mode and 50+ in flat mode. So you have to overclock or use the flat mode. I like both. :)

interesting this could be fun. Last puzzle game i ever played was super twintris on the amiga.

Back