Residual?

quadomatic

DingooWiki Admin
Website
www.opendingoo.com
While its not really too far along, is it likely that Pandora would be able to use Residual, the free OpenGL implementation of Grim Fandango? Residual is to GrimE games what ScummVM is to Scumm games (right?).

That would be very nice. But from the looks of it, it's not really a finished program yet, and would need a lot of work.

Still, it would be great to finish my game of Grim Fandango on the Pandora (I don't know why I never got around to finishing it... it was a fun game).

Did any other games except Grim Fandango & Secret of Monkey Island use GrimE?

Esn said:
That would be very nice. But from the looks of it, it's not really a finished program yet, and would need a lot of work.

Still, it would be great to finish my game of Grim Fandango on the Pandora (I don't know why I never got around to finishing it... it was a fun game).

Did any other games except Grim Fandango & Secret of Monkey Island use GrimE?

Nope, that's all. That's why the called it Residual, because its just for the remaining couple games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Esn said:
Whoops, that should be "Escape from Monkey Island".

lol, I hadn't even noticed that you said secret instead of Escape.

Anyways, I had been wondering about this earlier, but since Pandora runs OpenGL ES 2.0 instead of OpenGL, would there likely be issues with running Residual?

It's still active, but developments pretty slow and there's only really one guy working on it. I was talking to one of the devs yesterday about it and they were saying that they don't think that the Pandora will be powerful enough to run Residual in its current state. It should be possible to port and run it in the future once the engine is more functional/efficient.

Javacat said:
It's still active, but developments pretty slow and there's only really one guy working on it. I was talking to one of the devs yesterday about it and they were saying that they don't think that the Pandora will be powerful enough to run Residual in its current state. It should be possible to port and run it in the future once the engine is more functional/efficient.
:(

oh well

quadomatic said:
Bump...anyone know if Residual is in a better state now than it was a year and a half ago?
Is running Residual on a N900 progress for you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO9a5nTMHYI

Also a video of gameplay on N900.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhOhmdMCJcY

There is still constant progress on Residual, but it's very slow progress. AFAIK you still can't save the game and it can't be completed due to bugs.

Being my favorite game in the entire world and all (Grim Fandango), I hope it works well enough someday. I still recommend that some super awesome Pandora dev should mosey on over to the residual forums and lend a hand someway :)

If it will work on the N900 with software rendering I bet it will work just fine on Pandora with a OpenGL->OpenGLES conversion. I've done one recently and it's not terribly difficult. You could try to use the NanoGL wrapper but it likely doesn't include everything you'd need so it would be best just to buckle down and do the conversion.

What I'm really curious about is whether or not the Pandora will be able to handle The Curse of Monkey Island (through ScummVM), my personal favorite in the series.

fearofshorts said:
What I'm really curious about is whether or not the Pandora will be able to handle The Curse of Monkey Island (through ScummVM), my personal favorite in the series.

it will. without any problems :)

edit: on second thought. Don't quote me on that. Maybe ED or someone can confirm?

fearofshorts said:

Well I'm currently having issues with the version that came with Angstrom for the beagleboard it doesn't read the COMI data files as a valid game.. but I'm sure it will work fine on the hardware. Seeing how I saw a 6 year old Ipaq run it really smooth.

fearofshorts said:
... really? The third game?
Holy crap! My old PC used to have trouble with it!

It ran smooth on my Pentium 166... It only required a pentium 90, Windows 95, 16 megs of ram and a CD-ROM.. You must of had an old computer.

Unless your talking Escape from Monkey island the 4th game that had 3d graphics..

fearofshorts said:
No, it was the curse of monkey island.
My old computer didn't have a video card XD

Well even with a standard VGA that came built onto the motherboard it should of done fine. Since it was a CD intense game always reading from the CD, my guess your CD-ROM was flaky.

Back