Community Slowdown?

Development takes time get used to it. (ive made a comment about these things in the english riot thread, it seems that society has lost patience. We live in a world of 'I want it and I want it now' mentality)
normal development cycle takes two years. I'm used to it. Each debian release takes minimum 2 years. Maybe that's why I was so calmly waiting for pandora :)

Coding anything takes time, unless you work on it day after day for two weeks in a row. And in fact that's usually how it happens. But those "two weeks"(*) occur once per two years.

(*) really depends on how complex stuff is. Could be even a month or two.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me it would be the other way around: If I would see the 4:3 picture in any emulator beeing stretched to 16:9, I would see THAT as a severe limitation of the emulator or even the hardware!

But I noticed that there are always people who do not care, and would rather buy a movie where the top and bottom is cut and not the original 4:3, because "16:9 is better than 4:3", and that argument usually kills "but you loose half of the original image" or "but everything looks squashed", because "16:9 is better than 4:3".

Giving the user the choice is of course the best solution, but I definately do not see keeping the original aspect ratio as a drawback!
Actually, people buy 16:9 films because the original theatre releases are 16:9. The 4:3 releases have the sides cut off in order to fit into a 4:3 aspect ratio. Some people prefer to see the entire film, not just the stuff that fits into the 4:3 box, and thus prefer the 16:9 version. Now that displays are either 16:9 for TV or 16:10 for laptops, though, it's almost a moot point.

although pictures have not always been in 16:9 format. Certainly old, shot for tv stuff was in 4:3 and very old films were shot in a similar aspect. Whereas today most films are actually shot in something like 2.35:1 which leaves black bars at the top and bottom of even 16:9 screens.

Back