Release [Port] Residual

clop

Hi there,

Here's the port of Residual, a reimplementation of the Lucasarts Grim Fandango (http://residual.sourceforge.net/), from the latest git.

I only added a dirty fix in sources to get it to compile and a first run dialog to show Readme.

For what I've seen, game is running fine (just set the brightness in ingame options a lot highter :D )

Repo URL:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=residual-residual-31732

Testing & comments are welcome :D

Going to have to try this when I get home, need to dust off my Grim Fandango CDs..

Just one (ehm .. two :) ) question(s) .. is possible to run it fulscreen and is possible to run it with HW rendering or SW is enough?

Thank you!

Wonderful job!! Tested with the french patched version, and it seems to work like a charm (I didn't go very far, but the rendering is quite nice).

For fullscreen, first add the game to residual, then edit the .residualrc file in the appdata/residual folder, and change the fullscreen option to true. HW render seems to be set by default and the speed is quite good without overclocking.

Thank you for this great port!

Just one (ehm .. two :) ) question(s) .. is possible to run it fulscreen and is possible to run it with HW rendering or SW is enough?Thank you!

Fullscreen works, check the screenshots on the repo, they were taken on my Pandora :D

Game is running with SW rendering, seems enough for what I've played (10 FPS are enough for an adventure game).

Hope you'll enjoy it.

EDIT (ninja'ed :D ):

Wonderful job!! Tested with the french patched version, and it seems to work like a charm (I didn't go very far, but the rendering is quite nice).For fullscreen, first add the game to residual, then edit the .residualrc file in the appdata/residual folder, and change the fullscreen option to true. HW render seems to be set by default and the speed is quite good without overclocking.Thank you for this great port!

Full screen can be set too with ingame menu (F1 to show it) in options. The soft_render in the residual options seems to be wrong, residual uses TinyGL for rendering when building for Pandora, and it's a software renderer (thanks seb3t :D )

Thank you for testing :D

Last edited by a moderator:
how do you set the fullscreen from within the ingame menu? I can't locate the .residualrc file in the appdata/residual folder to do it that way......

It's ok, found it when viewing it on my pc, seems to be a hidden file on my Pandora for some reason! Also, from my reading of that config file, where does it actually store the save files?

Update again (exciting I know), I seem to have the game working ok now, I hope I have the correct files patched, it seems to run ok with speech and subtitles, so I hope that means I did it right!

win no 1: getting my pandora two days ago.

win no 2: finding out yesterday that residual existed and that it could be ported to pandora

epic win ftw: getting to try the beta today :)

charlie sheen aint got nuthin on me, #winning

working nicely up to now, will try to get full screen working (as that was one of the two things i wanted to point out) and continue the game.

but is it possible to get joystick controlling? GF would rock even harder with analog controls.

This is awesome, I've wanted to play this game for years (I got it and MI4 in a 2 for 1 sale years ago, MI4 got played a bit, but never had time to play GF). Does this use the same game engine as Monkey Island 4? If so whats the chances of being able to play MI4 on the Pandora?

Great work, thanks very much for your efforts, I really can't wait to play this.

This is awesome, I've wanted to play this game for years (I got it and MI4 in a 2 for 1 sale years ago, MI4 got played a bit, but never had time to play GF). Does this use the same game engine as Monkey Island 4? If so whats the chances of being able to play MI4 on the Pandora?

Great work, thanks very much for your efforts, I really can't wait to play this.

Yes MI4 uses the same engine (GrimE), it was the 2nd and only other game to use it, but it was a newer version.

Residual is under slow development, and sadly MI4 doesn't even start at the moment, the Residual team only just got Grim Fandango playable to the end (with minor bugs such as subtitles). So have to hope some more help can come there way to get MI4 working :)

Hm, there is no fullscreen option for me in the options dialogue, and even when fullscreen true is set in .residualrc, it still runs windowed :(

Edit: Got it working. Had a typo in .residualrc.

But it's not in the options, I could only set it manually.

If it helps anyone, when I was setting this up yesterday, when I first ran the PND without the files copied over(just to create the required appdata directory), the config file that was generated in there was incorrect so I could not alter any settings that way. It was by copying the Grim data files into the appdata folder and deleting any other files already in there that the PND reran the initial setup again, and created the correct config file (slightly longwinded I know!)

Hope this might help someone! ;)

Hm, there is no fullscreen option for me in the options dialogue, and even when fullscreen true is set in .residualrc, it still runs windowed :(

Edit: Got it working. Had a typo in .residualrc.

But it's not in the options, I could only set it manually.

Ok, I can't understand this, I was sure there was an option! I checked and there is not... Must have dreamed, sorry about that.

I will try to update PND this evening to ease configuration, but residual only creates the section for Grim in the config file when the game is added, so it's a bit tricky.

Why do you think of a "second run" (if PND detects Gim section in the config file) Zenity pop-up allowing to launch mousepad in order to edit the residualrc?

Why do you think of a "second run" (if PND detects Gim section in the config file) Zenity pop-up allowing to launch mousepad in order to edit the residualrc?

Why not just include an sed that replaces any 'fullscreen=false' with 'fullscreen=true' in the config on each run?

No need to ask the user to edit that manually.

Also, if a user removes a game and readds it later, it would still run fullscreen.

Does everyone want it to run fullscreen? (just asking, I'll run it fullscreen myself :D )

If so, I'll put a sed in the run script.

I'd imagine that everyone would want to run it fullscreen. Could you simply change the instructions that appear on first run to say that this run will create the appdata folder, then instruct the user where to place the files, and indicate that the configuration will automatically take place on the second run of the PND, when all required data files are in place? I know there's a general push on here to try make usings software as painless as possible, so avoiding having to edit config files would certainly be easier for most! ;)

you could just have 2 apps in the PND one which launches this in full screen and one that launches it in windowed mode.

well everyone does have to remember that, Residual itself is still in alpha/beta so a lot of the minor issues are from the main program itself. The fullscreen option via the GUI doesn't work on any version of the program yet. I think the better thing would be to actually edit the source code and fix that issue until it is officially fixed..

well everyone does have to remember that, Residual itself is still in alpha/beta so a lot of the minor issues are from the main program itself. The fullscreen option via the GUI doesn't work on any version of the program yet. I think the better thing would be to actually edit the source code and fix that issue until it is officially fixed..

True, but then again, the sed is just one line in the startup script.

As soon as the fullscreen option is implemented in the main program, it can be removed.

It just makes no sense playing Grim Fandango windowed, as you don't see the screen fully then :)

True, but then again, the sed is just one line in the startup script.

As soon as the fullscreen option is implemented in the main program, it can be removed.

It just makes no sense playing Grim Fandango windowed, as you don't see the screen fully then :)

+1 with ED, I wasn't 100% sure whether to say that earlier, as I only use Xfce and not Minimenu, so I don't know how it displays from there! ;)

Back