Replacement Interface

greenpix posted on Feb 26 2006 at 04:46 PM said:
I dont think all this flaming and nonsense will bring us anywhere. If anyone here is bored he can try to actually get a demo in whatever manner done or think about the Interface itself. Not so much about the guys sitting in front of it.

@Paradox: I made you a nice little package of spaces you can copy and paste into you posts :) [ ]
(Or is Ctrl+V really that uncomfortable to you ?)

its.faster.to.just.hit.this.than.shift.my.hand.down.to.ctrl+v.everytime.i.want.a.space,so.yes.it.is.uncomfortable,you.cock

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe one of you coders could write Paradox a keyboard driver hack that makes his right shift behave as a space bar?

evol posted on Feb 27 2006 at 12:40 AM said:
just port eem e17 for embedded it got imlib2 so it could pretty much be modded to look as anything

http://www.rasterman.com/files/eem.avi

http://www.rasterman.com/files/eem.tgz

That is some really nice looking GFX! I think THAT library combined with a nice XML configured interface would be great. Perhaps HanZ and DaveC should look at that lib when making the interface changes.

BTW, is everyone still going with the XML configureable interface? I think it would be best, that way the entire layout could be changes and configured completely by anyone who was willing.

timbobsteve posted on Feb 26 2006 at 05:21 PM said:
Nice XML configured interface
Nice and XML don't mix well.

The XML parcer would be larger and take more CPU cycles than the entire reste of the program.

XML = waste

Just use RFC822 and you will be happy.

stuff: data
stuff2: data

BBTroll posted on Feb 27 2006 at 10:32 AM said:

The XML parcer would be larger and take more CPU cycles than the entire reste of the program.

XML = waste

Oh... didn't know that about XML.... just as long as the interface is configureable... and I mean REALLY configureable. It would be nice to be able to set up the menus so they are completely different in style to everyone elses... not just icons and colors... I mean positions and fading / animations etc. Anyways... good luck to whoever is taking on this project. It will be interesting to see what comes out of it.

This thread is damn long. By the looks of the latest examples, whatever gets chosen will be an improvement over what we already have so I don't care.

basically.we.want.an.interface.which.we.can.configure.easily,change.the.layout.of,depict.how.things.work.with.image.sizes.for.skins,etc?

and.options.for.changing.layout.of.scrollbars/windows/all.that.crap.and.layout.of.icons/list.view.etc.

BBTroll posted on Feb 27 2006 at 01:32 AM said:

XML = waste

I am pretty sure there are some nice light XML parsers around.

Paradox posted on Feb 26 2006 at 04:15 PM said:
it's.all.about.you,isn't.it.Dave?.we.wouldn't.want.YOU.tobe.stuckwith.something.you.dont.like,would.we?,heaven.forbid.daveC.will.have.something.he.doesnt.like*cough*
Thank god someone finally said it.

chris_r posted on Feb 27 2006 at 09:52 AM said:
Paradox posted on Feb 26 2006 at 04:15 PM said:
it's.all.about.you,isn't.it.Dave?.we.wouldn't.want.YOU.tobe.stuckwith.something.you.dont.like,would.we?,heaven.forbid.daveC.will.have.something.he.doesnt.like*cough*
Thank god someone finally said it.
Well he is a Guru now, so obviously he is right and everybody else is wrong.

And this is my favourite design so far:
gp2xmenu3.png

You should easily be able to fit 24 icons on screen at once, and that should be more than enough for me.

Having said that I can see where DaveC is coming from. A gui like the one shown below would remove the need for scrolling, which takes so long it's not worth playing the game you were wanting to play.
gui6wz.png

If you were to have XML files with metadata for each file, why not have an extra bit of information stored instead of just having the category it belongs to, also have a second category. For example, category 1 could be "Emulators" and category 2 could be "Handheld". Then you could have it so that pressing a certain button showed different inner categories, i.e. Pressing B (in the emulator category) once might show 16bit system emulators, while pressing it twice might show Handheld emulators. Randomly crap Idea I know.

DijiTao posted on Feb 27 2006 at 02:38 AM said:
e17 for Embedded does look nice.

I thought myself about proposing e17 since they say it's very scalable and usable even on low-performance device, and it looks amazing for sure. The question is what people would like better and what would be easier to code...

e17 is fully skinnable and linux-compatible ;)

timbobsteve posted on Feb 26 2006 at 07:21 PM said:
evol posted on Feb 27 2006 at 12:40 AM said:
just port eem e17 for embedded it got imlib2 so it could pretty much be modded to look as anything

http://www.rasterman.com/files/eem.avi

http://www.rasterman.com/files/eem.tgz

That is some really nice looking GFX! I think THAT library combined with a nice XML configured interface would be great. Perhaps HanZ and DaveC should look at that lib when making the interface changes.

BTW, is everyone still going with the XML configureable interface? I think it would be best, that way the entire layout could be changes and configured completely by anyone who was willing.

correct me if i'm wrong, but couldn't a port of eem also include embryo for scripting? and that's probably in addition to whatever else it uses to store configurations. xml might not even be necessary.

eem with gant theme would be 'to die for'.

racoon posted on Feb 27 2006 at 03:08 PM said:
DijiTao posted on Feb 27 2006 at 02:38 AM said:
e17 for Embedded does look nice.

I thought myself about proposing e17 since they say it's very scalable and usable even on low-performance device, and it looks amazing for sure. The question is what people would like better and what would be easier to code...

e17 is fully skinnable and linux-compatible ;)
Yep that would be nice.

Back