Replacement Interface

BBTroll posted on Feb 27 2006 at 01:32 AM said:
Nice and XML don't mix well.

The XML parcer would be larger and take more CPU cycles than the entire reste of the program.

XML = waste

Just use RFC822 and you will be happy.

stuff: data
stuff2: data
It would be pretty hard to do anything with fancy positioning, and keep it slim enough to be worth sacrificing that functionality.

I don't think an XML parser would be that heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the current interface is that bad. The only thing that really needs to be improved is the amount of clicks it takes to start a game, movie etc. This could easily be improved by having the software check a default directory (e.g. games for games where every subdir contains one <yourgame>.gpe) instead of having to browse all the directories yourself.

5465756e posted on Feb 27 2006 at 05:59 PM said:
I think that the current interface is that bad. The only thing that really needs to be improved is the amount of clicks it takes to start a game, movie etc. This could easily be improved by having the software check a default directory (e.g. games for games where every subdir contains one <yourgame>.gpe) instead of having to browse all the directories yourself.

I think you can make a script that links to the games in the subdirs. That would solve having to browse multiple levels for the .gpes.

DaveC posted on Feb 27 2006 at 08:12 PM said:

I think you can make a script that links to the games in the subdirs. That would solve having to browse multiple levels for the .gpes.

Thx!

A new interface must have a favorites page so that your favorite apps/roms/movies can sit in a section on their own.

I vote for roms to be listed in the main file browser/selector which would launch the apropiate emu when selected.

Only recognised file extensions should listed in new interface, a file manager to organise files should be a seperate app and not part of the browser.

I reckon parag0ns first attempt was pretty close to the mark, but with the main section listing all the roms/mp3s/avis etc

I gonna go and draw a picture of it. Then i might post it on this forum.

DaveC posted on Feb 27 2006 at 06:12 PM said:

That's what I've done since starting to read this topic, I had forgot that I could already use a base directory to put my games folders in.

Now when I launch a game I scroll down/up to the required game and select it, I've added icons for each title. The one thing that does impair things is that folders themselves cannot be hidden and show up in the list.

Example script.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed 1 2 200
cd /mnt/sd/games/game folder
./game title
sync
cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

I have removed the .gpe/.gpu extensions as the executable will still work as the .gpe/.gpu just enables it to show up in the current menu. Where there was a .gpe that was just used as a launch script for the main executable I have removed it.

Posted to the benefit of anyone else wanting to do this and is not part of the interface discussion other than to make the current interface more usable. :)

lucoxade posted on Feb 27 2006 at 08:27 PM said:
A new interface must have a favorites page so that your favorite apps/roms/movies can sit in a section on their own.
I vote for roms to be listed in the main file browser/selector which would launch the apropiate emu when selected.
Only recognised file extensions should listed in new interface, a file manager to organise files should be a seperate app and not part of the browser.
Yeah, pretty much what I have been saying.

Hanz™ posted on Feb 27 2006 at 08:07 PM said:
Provided we can get all emulators using a command-line interface and, more importantly, GPH's movie player to use a command-line interface, then this would work. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to select individual roms/movies/music.

nickspoon posted on Feb 27 2006 at 09:12 PM said:
Hanz™ posted on Feb 27 2006 at 08:07 PM said:
Provided we can get all emulators using a command-line interface and, more importantly, GPH's movie player to use a command-line interface, then this would work. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to select individual roms/movies/music.
Yeah we would need the source - but then it would be easy. Very easy.

timbobsteve posted on Feb 27 2006 at 01:21 AM said:
evol posted on Feb 27 2006 at 12:40 AM said:
just port eem e17 for embedded it got imlib2 so it could pretty much be modded to look as anything

http://www.rasterman.com/files/eem.avi

http://www.rasterman.com/files/eem.tgz

That is some really nice looking GFX! I think THAT library combined with a nice XML configured interface would be great. Perhaps HanZ and DaveC should look at that lib when making the interface changes.

BTW, is everyone still going with the XML configureable interface? I think it would be best, that way the entire layout could be changes and configured completely by anyone who was willing.
Nice, but I really think the coder should learn how to comment their code. And the variable names piss me off.

Everything should be commandlinable it should be law.

I am quite happy to forget about GPHs media player, TCPMP on the Palm is muchos times better even on lower spec machines. I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been ported yet.

lucoxade posted on Feb 27 2006 at 10:40 PM said:

I am quite happy to forget about GPHs media player, TCPMP on the Palm is muchos times better even on lower spec machines. I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been ported yet.
The Core Pocket Media Player is an open-source media player for Palm OS-based and Windows CE / Windows Mobile-based devices.

Maybe because it's not even linux and thus not ported to the gp2x?

somehow.i.dont.think.GPH.are.going.to.make.us.some.awesome.modular.interface.where.you.can.totally.change.every.aspect.of.it.via.some.script,seems.a.bit.too.hopeful.to.get.that.from.gph.

what.say.you.craigi?

lucoxade posted on Feb 27 2006 at 08:40 PM said:

It hasn't been ported because it wouldn't be as good as the GPH one. The GPH one uses hardware DivX decoding. 2 200MHz ARM940ts would NOT be able to decode 640x480 DivX all on their own at a reasonable rate.

Oh, and Paradox, here's a space that I don't need. " "

Paradox posted on Feb 27 2006 at 11:36 PM said:
NeoStuey posted on Feb 27 2006 at 09:51 PM said:
Paradox posted on Feb 27 2006 at 09:37 PM said:
what.say.you.craigi?

Has your "x" key broken? :p

that's.something.called.a.typo,never.heard.of.it?
Hey craigy baby why don't you come over here, Parry boy wants to talk to you. :wub:

Back