Replacement Interface

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
OK I think we all agree that the current GP2X Interface is ass.

It shall be replaced, but what should it look like and how should it work?

Super simple GP32 alt firmware style file selector? Graphical wonder PSP style?

Post your ideas and designs. Just to get you going here is a basic 'super simple' design.

osex.gif

Your turn...

I like the first layout, being able to choose lcd timings or cpu speed from the application selector at runtime would be very nice.

However, the graphic preview and the blurb would require all programs to include an extra file or two and it may not get the adoption it would need to work. I would hate to see a generic GP2X picture and blurb for every program that wasn't supported, or have to go and make the image myself. Im too damn lazy for that.

-----Edited below-----

an animated Gif background for the main screen would be awesome.

Well whatever it should be it should be user configurable.

From text files, or the GUI itself. Especially the GUI itself.

It should be totaly self contained, and extendable and flexible.

Someone was working on a great file selector recently...

That combined with a 'frontend' GUI that allows media playback, changing GUI/system settings, and running user programs should be it.

Series-8 posted on Feb 24 2006 at 03:29 AM said:
Well whatever it should be it should be user configurable.

From text files, or the GUI itself. Especially the GUI itself.

It should be totaly self contained, and extendable and flexible.

Someone was working on a great file selector recently...

That combined with a 'frontend' GUI that allows media playback, changing GUI/system settings, and running user programs should be it.
I agree, but will do a mockup of a design. There has to be a default design obviously.

First of all applications such as mplayer and the ebook reader and the mp3 player should be seperate programs not hardcoded into the firmware. That is a bad idea in my opinion.
A mr_spiv style firmware selector would be very nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pool all resources into setting up Xynth and supporting that. Possabilities are pretty endless with a proper WM like Xynth (no tinyX or KDrive required).

my .71 US cents

timbobsteve posted on Feb 24 2006 at 04:21 AM said:
Pool all resources into setting up Xynth and supporting that. Possabilities are pretty endless with a proper WM like Xynth (no tinyX or KDrive required).

my .71 US cents
Yep that is a decent idea, although I would prefer that xynth was just an option, I think it would be nice to have lots of different possibilities and to be able to choose one that gave the correct speed, ergonomics, etc...

Ive been toying with the Idea of trying to port over Enlightenments Libraries but I dont think I have the time. It would give good graphic splender with little overhead Check it them out at www.enlightenment.org :)

k heres a very damn baddly drawn idea for a new menu that takes aspects from the other ideas i have seen, and yes it looks like a cheap copy of the one craigix posted but i would prefer this one because i dont like they way you would browse folders in the one he posted and also would make the app picking part seem more clean and organized.

It gives you abit of simplicity for picking the folders you want to explorer as well as some other flashy things like big icons (i used the ones from the fedora skin) and pics and info for whatever app you are about to use and for convenience the changable CPU Speed\LCD Tweeker that i saw in the pic that CraigiX provided, so it should please everyone a bit.

And could someone with some talent take this and make it pretty cause at the moment it isnt a pleasure for the eyes.

i don't see the logic in something like xynth, tinyx, or wind-ups personally. they all seem to require a mouse, and a joystick is a poor poor replacement for that. window-based guis are better for devices with touch screens.

My take on this.

Please excuse the quick mockup, the graphics can be improved, it is just to show an idea. I used a high contrast "arcade gamey" looking scheme but it can be skinned.

My design would have a menu bar at the top with user defineable catagories along the top (or bottom) The cursor is the purple box that shows highlighted icon.

You would move the stick around like now. When you press a button over one of the catagories and press a button the icons in the bottom panel change to display your files and folders according to the catagory you picked. You can then browse the files and folders to launch your program. Like now a button selects your program or folder, and another button would back up a level if you are deep into folders/directories.

The bottom panel can have 3 rows of 5 icons (only shows 2 rows now). Can be more if the icons are made smaller.

This is simple, fast, intuitive, and displays alot of files for convienient browsing. Of course it is completely skinnable as well so all icons and backgrounds can be changed.

I really don't care for the first idea as it seems to have alot of wasted space. A pic showing the program is ok for awhile but once you get used to your layout you would wish you had more real estate for files. Cute pics will get old.

dclauncher.png

or

launcher2.png

DaveC posted on Feb 23 2006 at 11:55 PM said:
My take on this.

Please excuse the quick mockup, the graphics can be improved, it is just to show an idea.

My design would have a menu bar at the top with user defineable catagories along the top (or bottom)

You would move the stick around like now. When you press a button over one of the catagories and press a button the icons in the bottom panel change to display your files and folders according to the catagory you picked. You can then browse the files and folders to launch your program. Like now a button selects your program or folder, and another button would back up a level if you are deep into folders/directories.

This is simple, fast, intuitive, and displays alot of files for convienient browsing. Of course it is completely skinnable as well so all icons and backgrounds can be changed.

I really don't care for the first idea as it seems to have alot of wasted space. A pic showing the program is ok for awhile but once you get used to your layout you would wish you had more real estate for files. Cute pics will get old.

launcher.png

"The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later."

TelcoLou posted on Feb 24 2006 at 04:57 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 23 2006 at 11:55 PM said:
My take on this.

Please excuse the quick mockup, the graphics can be improved, it is just to show an idea.

My design would have a menu bar at the top with user defineable catagories along the top (or bottom)

You would move the stick around like now.  When you press a button over one of the catagories and press a button the icons in the bottom panel change to display your files and folders according to the catagory you picked.  You can then browse the files and folders to launch your program.  Like now a button selects your program or folder, and another button would back up a level if you are deep into folders/directories.

This is simple, fast, intuitive, and displays alot of files for convienient browsing.  Of course it is completely skinnable as well so all icons and backgrounds can be changed.

I really don't care for the first idea as it seems to have alot of wasted space.  A pic showing the program is ok for awhile but once you get used to your layout you would wish you had more real estate for files.  Cute pics will get old.

launcher.png

"The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later."

Yeah, fucking Geocities. wait an hour and come back. It is annoying as hell but I refuse to pay for putting up pics ;)

Imageshack or photobucket it. No pay in either case... I'd really like to see what you're trying to show us.

This is really intriguing, because I'm not sure if the GUI can be improved on... I mean, it is a little odd for the built-in apps that I don't use to be on the front page, but it's not that hard, or inconvenient, to navigate some simple folder trees. I actually perfer the way it is now.

Back