Replacement Interface

:) Sorry Paradox,

It's just with you having a broken spacebar, I was worried another of your keys had failed, how is it going on the keyboard sourcing front?

Edit: removed quotes

PSyMastR posted on Feb 27 2006 at 10:49 PM said:
ROFL, what the hell happened to your sig?

There were about 5 users banned in the off topic section, and this was the 6 and got his sig changed as well, I guessed they pushed too far. I'm glad I don't post there.

Last edited by a moderator:
NeoStuey posted on Feb 27 2006 at 11:59 PM said:

There were about 5 users banned in the off topic section, and this was the 6 and got his sig changed as well, I guessed they pushed too far. I'm glad I don't post there.
Haha who cares about a bannage. :p

I do a couple of the users are regular posters who usually give sound advice and are coding for the GP2X. I take it the they are tempory bans then?

Edit: removed quotes

NeoStuey posted on Feb 28 2006 at 12:03 AM said:
lhnz posted on Feb 27 2006 at 10:59 PM said:
NeoStuey posted on Feb 27 2006 at 11:59 PM said:

Haha who cares about a bannage. :p

I do a couple of the users are regular posters who usually give sound advice and are coding for the GP2X. I take it the they are tempory bans then?
Mine were both temporary. And it is not the end of the world, new usernames are easy to fixup and proxies easy to use.
Edit: I presume ban evasion is also an offence too. :p

3 of the users banned (Hanz, Nickspoon and lucoxade) have been very active this topic so it was kind of connected.

But apologies for going O.T.

Paradox posted on Feb 28 2006 at 12:18 AM said:
wayyyyyyyyyyyy......off.topic.here.

wasnt.someone.making.the.parag0n.style/dave.interface?
Well parag0n said he would make it, and it was actually mine/DaveCs interface originally. Although he has added a fair bit to it.

Javacat posted on Feb 27 2006 at 01:39 PM said:
And this is my favourite design so far:
gp2xmenu3.png

You should easily be able to fit 24 icons on screen at once, and that should be more than enough for me.

Having said that I can see where DaveC is coming from. A gui like the one shown below would remove the need for scrolling, which takes so long it's not worth playing the game you were wanting to play.
gui6wz.png

Well I never said that I liked something like "the one below" There is obviously a balance between to much and not enough when it comes to the number of icons. The one that you say that you like is basically what I like to. The only difference is the one I prefer has the catagories on top as it could be navigated with the shoulder buttons as well as the stick and it shows more catagories. Not a big deal though and if it ended up like the one you picked with them on the side I would be happy with that too.

Just for fun, I made a mockup of my ideal interface (damn GIMP isn't very good for this stuff, but I managed):

mockup.gif

Ideally, a good launcher should let you customize it up the wazoo without having to compile anything. zLauncher already does a very good job of this, actually.

I'm a graphic designer and so have always got quite obsessive about the menus in anything I use. I'm always having to explain GUI principles to clients and I must say that I think this is by far the best concept here:

gp2xmenu4.png

DaveC was on the money, a horizontal bar with more categories and a grid of icons below.

I'd like to see options for the bar being top or bottom (or at the side for people who prefer that) and also any folder on the SD card can become a category. The icon for each category could then be a icon.png file in that folder or a default one if none is present. People can then organise their cards however they like.

I'd also like the system to be fully skinnable for us all to exercise our creative talents on it!

The status info at the bottom is genius, very useful! I think any file manager or music player functions etc should be in dedicated apps, so casually lending the GP2X to a mate is less likely to result in accidentally erased apps or browsing of your music collection and lots of functionality can be packed in where its needed. The launcher itself should be as efficiently streamlined and simple as possible.

Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of the overload of onscreen info and screenshots etc either, just keep it simple and put things as few moves/clicks away as possible.

®

My old GP32 Windups "Themes":

theme-consoles.gif

theme-mac1984.gif

theme-workbench.gif

theme-gem.gif

The thing I liked about that was I could place the icons exactly where I liked, line them up or decide what went next to what etc etc, but it was obviously primitive...

Shirohagen posted on Feb 28 2006 at 05:22 PM said:
I'm a graphic designer and so have always got quite obsessive about the menus in anything I use. I'm always having to explain GUI principles to clients and I must say that I think this is by far the best concept here:

gp2xmenu4.png

DaveC was on the money, a horizontal bar with more categories and a grid of icons below.

I'd like to see options for the bar being top or bottom (or at the side for people who prefer that) and also any folder on the SD card can become a category. The icon for each category could then be a icon.png file in that folder or a default one if none is present. People can then organise their cards however they like.

I'd also like the system to be fully skinnable for us all to exercise our creative talents on it!

The status info at the bottom is genius, very useful! I think any file manager or music player functions etc should be in dedicated apps, so casually lending the GP2X to a mate is less likely to result in accidentally erased apps or browsing of your music collection and lots of functionality can be packed in where its needed. The launcher itself should be as efficiently streamlined and simple as possible.

Just my opinion, but I'm not a fan of the overload of onscreen info and screenshots etc either, just keep it simple and put things as few moves/clicks away as possible.

®

My old GP32 Windups "Themes":

theme-consoles.gif

theme-mac1984.gif

theme-workbench.gif

theme-gem.gif

The thing I liked about that was I could place the icons exactly where I liked, line them up or decide what went next to what etc etc, but it was obviously primitive...

You are a genius. I like you. Maybe you should be guru too :p I agree 100%

Shirohagen posted on Feb 28 2006 at 06:22 PM said:

gp2xmenu4.png
If you do that you need to make sure that there is a list view for Multimedia (And personally 2 seperate Film and Music categories).
Reason being an icon view would be pointless as all of the icons would be the same, and MP3s and AVIs often have very long names (aka. "a.random.movie.name.dvdrip.cd1.xvid-deity" which would not fit in the space given, unless the icons were shifted right apart which would look very unsightly).
Personally while I like this interface I would not use its only pro.
I prefer my interfaces to be more coherent/seamless and not to need an icon view and a list view.

I am not really one with the idea that Music playing and Video playing are not in the launcher at all, and you instead have to launch a seperate app, that would be a step back from the original launcher to me.

lhnz posted on Feb 28 2006 at 12:38 PM said:
If you do that you need to make sure that there is a list view for Multimedia (And personally 2 seperate Film and Music categories).
On this I agree. Only change that needs to be made to that interface, and it would be perfect (to me)

lhnz posted on Feb 28 2006 at 06:38 PM said:
Reason being an icon view would be pointless as all of the icons would be the same, and MP3s and AVIs often have very long names (aka. "a.random.movie.name.dvdrip.cd1.xvid-deity" which would not fit in the space given, unless the icons were shifted right apart which would look very unsightly).
I prefer my interfaces to be more coherent/seamless and not to need an icon view and a list view.
Do you mean something like this? (Pretend multimedia says Movies and that there are a couple more icons for Music and Pictures).
javacatsmenu8mg.png

ps, hope you like my 1337 picture h4x1ng skillz :ph34r:

Javacat posted on Feb 28 2006 at 10:05 PM said:
lhnz posted on Feb 28 2006 at 06:38 PM said:
Reason being an icon view would be pointless as all of the icons would be the same, and MP3s and AVIs often have very long names (aka. "a.random.movie.name.dvdrip.cd1.xvid-deity"  which would not fit in the space given, unless the icons were shifted right apart which would look very unsightly).
Do you mean something like this? (Pretend multimedia says Movies and that there are a couple more icons for Music and Pictures).
javacatsmenu8mg.png

ps, hope you like my 1337 picture h4x1ng skillz :ph34r:
Lol.

Hey here's an idea: each menu has a default (like list for multimedia and icon for emulators), but you can switch them with another hotkey, maybe Start or Volume Up + Volume Down, that way you can adjust it to your needs immediately if needed.

List only make sense if your using the menu as a front end for command line driven programs - the question is do we want it to work that way?

Back