[Release] Compo4all MAME - ladder/scoreboard competition for classic arcade games :)

^

I was having similar issues on internal wi-fi with certain routers.  If you have a dongle, might be worth a try.
If it could be a router issue, I'll see about trying another one. I actually have a back up running in my house, so I'll see how it operates on that one.

Chris
Thanks Link, that fixed the problem. I wish I would have know this when I set this up, I just thought it had bugs and ran slow during boot up. Now, on to Rygar.

Chris

Added a basic activity log that shows what scores have entered a scoring table. Reverse order, so newest entry in the log is at the top.

http://skeezix.wallednetworks.com:13001/activity_1

This way you can see what people are up to.

Only logs scores that enter a table for now .. but with top-500's, and no scoring table full, should work out okay.

We're working on putting up the fancier scoreboard sight right now, and maybe we can integrate right into the board here.. ED suggests we might be able to put up a feed and show scores right on the side panel of the board. Woudlnt' that pull peopel together in a community of score rage? :)

jeff

fwiw, you may see your entry show up in the log twice; thats for the curtrent log, and the all time log..

Last edited by a moderator:
A new big/fat article about Compo4All MAME with pieces of an interview with Skeezix is now available Pandoralive.info !

Click click click !! And enjoy the exclusive screens :) http://www.pandoralive.info/?p=185

compopromo.png

Just finished playing my second game of Bubble Bobble now... muahahaha.
Need to improve here. Fell for some traps (pits where you couldn't get out) which weren't in the C64 version which I mostly played... so next time, I'll remember these.

Time for some strong coffee and some more Bubble Bobble!

Those pit traps, that's that level that looks like a Menorah or Candelabra? Hate that one, there aren't even any water filled bubbles to save you. If I haven't been lucky enough to get a warp umbrella before it so I can skip past, it's usually the level that stops me making it to level 20 with all lives intact so I get the diamond cave!

Time for some strong coffee and some more Bubble Bobble!

Those pit traps, that's that level that looks like a Menorah or Candelabra? Hate that one, there aren't even any water filled bubbles to save you. If I haven't been lucky enough to get a warp umbrella before it so I can skip past, it's usually the level that stops me making it to level 20 with all lives intact so I get the diamond cave!

Yes that's the place, but if you get stuck in the wider center tunnel they sometimes come too slowly! (or is that 'too late'!)

I know the trick there is to clear all the monsters from the left start position, drop into the passage and jump across to the same place on the right side, but the fear of getting stuck in one of the narrower tubes always seems to leave me in that center spot!

Just installed and tried 2 games of space invaders. Had a 'top 5' score but after playing it it seemed like it wasn't registered. 

I have a bad WIFI connection just like other Pandora users, so it would be nice if a WIFI connection failure wouldn't result in loss of a highscore (reconnect and resend?) 

Also the program hang after finalizing a game (probably due to the bad wifi). Saw a couple of pop-ups without text in them. Needed to kill the program. 

Would also be nice to be able to select the Rom folder from the program. 

Anyway. Great stuff but didn't work out for me probably due to a Wifi issue (or could it be something else?). 

The blank pop-ups are normal and may take a few moments each, try again and let it do it's a thing a little longer before forcing an exit?

The blank pop-ups are normal and may take a few moments each, try again and let it do it's a thing a little longer before forcing an exit?
I ended the game and waited for more than 5 minutes. Just played again and the same result. (ended the game with the pandora button) 

I am now waiting 10 minutes.. 

btw.. I am now looking at a blanc screen (see only my mouse)

I ended the game and waited for more than 5 minutes. Just played again and the same result. (ended the game with the pandora button) 

I am now waiting 10 minutes.. 

btw.. I am now looking at a blanc screen (see only my mouse)
I was having these issues, and Link told me he had similar problems due to his wireless router. I happened to have a second router in my home, and once I switched over, all these issues stopped. If you don't have a different router you can sync to, maybe try to play with the router settings and see what happens. This is another reason I would vote for this to work offline in some fashion. The Pandora doesn't seem to be the most reliable in regards to Wi-Fi. Compo4All had become unplayable for me with my old set up, luckily I had a second router that fixed my issues.

Chris

Thx Chris. I can't (well.. I could but I will not ;) )  change the router. It is part of my provider set up. 

The strange thing is that I can browse the web without too much issues. I would expect that compo4all only sends a small amount of data so shouldn't have these issues. 

I agree a offline, or semi-offline solution would be nice. 

I've just started playing around with C4ALL... much fun. Thanks skeezix! (Though I clearly need to practice.) There's something wrong with the score submission at least on Pulstar. I was playing around with the MAME settings in game (different video settings and such) and after resetting and quitting, a few high scores showed up that were not earned. Only one score under my initials SRL (89740) was earned... the others just popped up. I really have no idea. If the bogus scores could be erased, that would be great.

I've just started playing around with C4ALL... much fun. Thanks skeezix! (Though I clearly need to practice.) […]
I need more than practice, I mean 850 point on space invaders and 1390 on galaxian, WTF?

I was far better a few years ago.  :(

New frontend website is up! (thanks to milkshake!)

http://c4a.openpandora.org/

I'll update firsty post; the normal links will still work, but milkshakes frontend is way prettier. It still ahs some features to come as I build in an interface to them for him, so don't blame him if he's missing a few bits that my fugly interface has :)

jeff

I've just started playing around with C4ALL... much fun. Thanks skeezix! (Though I clearly need to practice.) There's something wrong with the score submission at least on Pulstar. I was playing around with the MAME settings in game (different video settings and such) and after resetting and quitting, a few high scores showed up that were not earned. Only one score under my initials SRL (89740) was earned... the others just popped up. I really have no idea. If the bogus scores could be erased, that would be great.
Can you try a few more games, reguster a few scores, and let me know if it seems working? It could be a borked the decoded/encoder a bit; if you get a few scores intyo your local table and tne exit it, it shoudl post any of those that make the top-500 etc. It should detect any 'loopers'.. default entries that it pushes down and you're sending back up.. but if its pickng up bogus entries entirely, thats very weird!

jeff

Skeezix, did you receive any additional feedback from people who discovered your project after last week's post on Pandoralive? I would like to know if anything positive came out of it :)

Back