[Release] Compo4all MAME - ladder/scoreboard competition for classic arcade games :)

As you suspect .. Its counting the nil blank guys as one (not the - line that shows collapsed same-guy entries).. The blanks that pad out to the end 500 :)

Skeephone

Any chance of an update which includes feedback if an upload fails, and the option to retry?  I usually play these games in short busts, low powering in between, but on repowering up my wifi often doesn't connect first time successfully* - and I've yet to find a way of reliably paging away from the emulator to get my wifi sorted before quitting the emulator (alt-tab doesn't work, and the one time I risked pandora-buttoning away, I wasn't able to get back in to the emulator with my old scores).

*Not a pandora fault - I suspect it's a Network Manager fault, where often it will fail to negotiate a connection then sit there with a dumb 'enter your password' dialog forevermore without trying to connect again.  I've had this on other computers too.

FWIW, looks like Neo Geo are not consistent and/or MAME coverage is spotty. Pulstar dumps out a really simple hi-score file in the usual hi/ place I can work with, but others may or may not. So its not an 'all or nothing' sort of thing..

.. but I can add Pulstar pretty trivially if folks want :p

jeff

Have you tried FBA save files?  Not tried it myself yet, but I've used FBAXXX on the old xbox, and that emulated Neo Geo games perfectly as far as I could see.  For some reason, I didn't expect it to save high scores, so I never checked if it did.

Man I have to quit working so much , so I can play more MAME

Still want to see Blacktiger , Rolling Thunder and Punchout  added..

One can dream...Bud

Last edited by a moderator:
Bubble Bobble added, too. 107290 points in my first run in years :)

jeff

Rolling Thunder is coded, but MAME 0106 doesn't handle it very well; I dont' have enough free time right now to fix MAME for it, but it is tempting :) I looove Rolling Thunder..

Stuff I'd like to consider, so far (posted to other thread):

- Super Sprint (top down racing)

- Outrun (3d racing)

- Metal Slug (run and gun)

- Magical Drop 3 (throw ED a bone ;) But this may be complex, due to how many scores it keeps

- Gauntlet (top down dungeon romp)

- Black Tiger (platform run and gun)

- King of Dragons or Knights of Round or AD&D or something .. (beat'em'up)

- Willow (really fun platform run and gun)

- Tempest (do vector games show up well on pandora with MAME? Asteroids is hard to see..) .. how do you describe Tempest in 2 words? Tunnel shmup?

- Time Pilot or Gyruss (rotation shmup)

- Tempest or Qix or other puzzler

- Gladiator (?) for horizontal.. another hard to describe one ;)

- Centipede say .. I dont' care fo rit myself, but it is a classic :)

- Star Wars (nuff said)

- TRON (nuff said)

- Street Fighter 2 (vanila or rainbow) say (fighting), or perhaps Samurai Shodown..

As you can see, I'd like all the genres represented; shmup, racing, beat'em'ups, and classics..

jeff

oh, and yes, I'd like to add a 'retry, abort' type dialog for load time (can't pull down score template, or at least delete the existing one to force reset) and exit time (submitting scores fail.. retry or give up? then you can spam it or wait till your connection comes up)

jeff

- Super Sprint (top down racing)

- Outrun (3d racing)

- Tempest (do vector games show up well on pandora with MAME? Asteroids is hard to see..) .. how do you describe Tempest in 2 words? Tunnel shmup?

- Centipede say .. I dont' care fo rit myself, but it is a classic :)

- Star Wars (nuff said)
Doesn't Super Sprint allow continues though? I can't remember what the score situation with that is, must go play and see - but can't you keep upgrades to the car? Maybe not. Love it though.

Probably be an idea to remind players to ramp up cpu speed for stuff like Outrun, it's tough on the old CC machines!

Re: Vector games, they do look a bit weak on default display settings, but hit Space and cycle through options to Vector Intensity and set it to the maximum - then they all look superb on the Pandora. Gravitar and Battlezone especially. Asteroids looks beautiful that way, only thing missing are the CRT traces.

Star Wars, awesome, but the Pandora controls don't really do it justice, you need a controller you can really throw around accurately - Mouse users will pulverise the opposition!

thanks again for this really brings these games back to life. would love to see any and every game using this really lol way to many to list keep up the great work now i just need to find some time to play

Bubble Bobble added, too. 107290 points in my first run in years :)

jeff

Rolling Thunder is coded, but MAME 0106 doesn't handle it very well; I dont' have enough free time right now to fix MAME for it, but it is tempting :) I looove Rolling Thunder..
I'm a Rolling Thunder fan as well. It is probably my most played arcade game of all time(for sure in the top 3). I would love to see this added, but it sucks it doesn't run well.

Is there anyway to add the online features to Mame4All? That runs most of these classic games a lot better than the mame being used(at least in certain cases).

Chris

I had a problem building mame4all, but it possible could be used as-is.. or maybe I need to refresh some of my toolset, who knows. Talked briefly to stevem about it, but mame0106 weorked nicely. I rather want to keep everyone on the same build for fairness..

.. could probably get mame4all working if we wanted.

mame4all is based on a much older mame, so is faster, but does drop a lot of games we might want as well. *Shrug*

I'd like to see more uptake.. hopefulyl once we publish the new website that looks much prettier, that'll draw more folks in.

jeff

Finally found the time to play some Bubble Bobble.
First game I played for three years. Didn't turn out too bad :D

I had a problem building mame4all, but it possible could be used as-is.. or maybe I need to refresh some of my toolset, who knows. Talked briefly to stevem about it, but mame0106 weorked nicely. I rather want to keep everyone on the same build for fairness..

.. could probably get mame4all working if we wanted.

mame4all is based on a much older mame, so is faster, but does drop a lot of games we might want as well. *Shrug*

I'd like to see more uptake.. hopefulyl once we publish the new website that looks much prettier, that'll draw more folks in.

jeff
I'm just looking at the pros/cons of both I suppose. Games like Outrun and Rolling Thunder would need tweaks in the current build, where as they perform well in "4All". I was also playing Pulstar yesterday, and the game ran rather slow at default on my 1st gen Pandora, so I was able to score higher than normal due to the slowdown. I know we are all on the honor system here, but maybe including a fixed clocked speed would be good, so that everyone plays at the same speed would be a good option to consider.

So I would think that any Mame we use, and games we go with should all perform properly at defaults for all users across all units. I believe for the most part Mame4All covers most classic games that I would like to play competitively rather well, but I also don't know the ends and outs of getting it to run as well as the current build, so unless the majority think it would be better, I guess we should stick with what works.

Chris

Finally found the time to play some Bubble Bobble. First game I played for three years. Didn't turn out too bad :D
Damn Ed, you spanked me but good. I thought my score would be at the top for a few days at least, and you just about doubled it. If this is you after 3 years of non play, I'm going to have to do some serious practicing. ;)

Edit: Now Asmo has entered the fray. I've got work to do today, but now my Pandora is calling me back to Bubble Bobble(it's on).

Chris

Back