Release [Rebirth Compo] Wicket, wizard in trouble

I'm no doubt biased on account of my extensive beta testing, so I won't go into much of a review here. Suffice to say I dig it, and it's been a real pleasure watching it evolve from a handful of early levels to the game it is now. I hope others get into it too. :)

Nice game, though needs harder puzzles, finished in 20min or so :p

Though I probably didn't solve some puzzles like you'd expect :p (never put portal-enabled walls next to the exit if that's not the intended solution ;) )

Nice game, though needs harder puzzles, finished in 20min or so :p

Though I probably didn't solve some puzzles like you'd expect :p (never put portal-enabled walls next to the exit if that's not the intended solution ;) )

Nice job :D

Hope you liked it! And it's true, it really needs more & harder levels, and that's the hardest part in designing puzzles games :D

I don't know if you noticed but there's a basic level editor included :D Only static tiles for the Rebirth edition but platforms/enemies/triggers will come in next release!

Anyway, thanks for playing!

I did enjoy it, wouldn't had played it all the way through otherwise ;)

My most used portal exploit was to put one to the ceiling, another to the floor, then infinite-drop and time my portal shooting so that I hit the wall next to the exit, even if I can't get to it by just pressing against the wall :p

Yeah, there are still some little cheats and exploits :D We stamped some out in testing but I guess it's impossible to pick them all up until you have more users finding them.

Just curious, are other people using nubs or ABXY to launch portals? I lean towards the nubs (translated: I badgered Clop to add nubs) but being analogue they're easy to hit wrong. So I do switch between methods a bit.

I did enjoy it, wouldn't had played it all the way through otherwise ;)

My most used portal exploit was to put one to the ceiling, another to the floor, then infinite-drop and time my portal shooting so that I hit the wall next to the exit, even if I can't get to it by just pressing against the wall :p

Could you tell me what levels were easy to cheat? I don't mint players finding easier solutions on some levels, but an obvious cheat is a failure of level desing :D

Also, did you fell comfortable with controls? Were explanations/guihints enough? And did you read the panels?

Thanks in advance,

One in particular comes into mind, where you'd normally portal the vertically moving platform to get it to carry you to the exit. You can use the above trick to never touch the block. There were some others but can't remember right now. would need to play through again :)

Controls were OK. I got the hang of them quite quickly after reading the explanations. I read all the panels, but usually restarted the level afterwards to get a good time ;) . (Are the times saved? you could get useful info from the times it took me to go through the levels, since I pretty much ran through the game :D )

Thanks B-ZaR!

Thanks for the tip about the level, will fix it. I already found another one :D

Times are not yet saved, as replays are not saved too. Haven't had time to put that in for last saturday but I may do it today or tomorrow as new features are apparently allowed.

In "These boxes are your friends" you can cheat by using portals to get onto the raised section without using any of the boxes or moving platform. Then you can just run over the water pit to the exit. Remember when I suggested making the water two tiles wide? You may need to do that ;)

[edit] Oh, forgot to mention. This is not exactly a normal situation, but it crashes/freezes if you (for example) leave a level open and then get distracted by cats on the internet. About 600 seconds seems to be the point of death.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated repo & ftp pnd with fixed levels, found 4 that were cheatable :D

If you find more, warn me :D

Thanks for feedback!

PS: Gruso, I'll check this 600 issue, that's weird :D

I have to wait for the windows version... or a Pandora... whoever comes first... :rolleyes:

w
I have to wait for the windows version... or a Pandora... whoever comes first... :rolleyes:

You'll get a Windows version before end of this week. I've got a working one but with weird graphics glitches...

Btw, I'm pushing a new version which records your best times and fixes some bug.

@Gruso: 645.99 is the time where the game crashes. No idea why, but nice job in spotting this one!

Clop'

a couple more:

Destroy all the blocks: move one right, portal up, portal down, steer right to drop to exit = 2.78s complete time

Pole vault: move all the way right, portal up, portal down, when appear up, portal right = 4.21s complete time

a couple more:

Destroy all the blocks: move one right, portal up, portal down, steer right to drop to exit = 2.78s complete time

Pole vault: move all the way right, portal up, portal down, when appear up, portal right = 4.21s complete time

Thanks, fixed :D

I'll push a newer version soon.

Update: Added a Linux archive and a Windows version on first post.

Tried the windows version, there are some problems with mapped keys, them are not WASD

Z = portal up

Q = portal left

D = portal right

S = portal down

and the starting screen tells "press X" but I needed to find it was space bar

The speed of movements is very fast, almost uncontrollable

I almost finished the levels, but the game crashed when I tried to enter a portal to push a rock on an elevator

I'll try to replay later

Tried the windows version, there are some problems with mapped keys, them are not WASD

Z = portal up

Q = portal left

D = portal right

S = portal down

and the starting screen tells "press X" but I needed to find it was space bar

The speed of movements is very fast, almost uncontrollable

I almost finished the levels, but the game crashed when I tried to enter a portal to push a rock on an elevator

I'll try to replay later

Thanks for testing!

It seems I messed up some controls :D

I'm surprised about the speed. Game has a fixed speed, there should not be any difference.

You can tweak some values the config file that should be in the directory " .wicket " created after first run.

For controls, this values controls launching portals:

KEY_PORTAL_LEFT: 113

KEY_PORTAL_RIGHT: 100

KEY_PORTAL_UP: 122

KEY_PORTAL_DOWN: 115

The values are the keycodes from SDL, you can get the values there: http://www.koders.com/c/fid8D6280AEFC1089A8F98EB34B12BA678E634E5C6A.aspx

There is also a FPS key you can lower (for example to 25).

I'm very interested in a screenshot/scenario to reproduce the crash.

Hope you enjoyed the game!

Back