Release [Rebirth Competition] Dino Defense

I'm not sure what happened with the death & item, but I do have an inkling of what may have caused this.

OK. I'll prevent selected units from being removed when you visit the upgrade shop.

I've got a new update (v1.04)ready to be uploaded later today; I'll add the above fixes to it first though - contains a couple of extras (including a new dino) and some levels have changed a bit. As a result of these change the profile structure has been revised, so you won't be able to load in your old save files. Just means you'll have fun all over again =D

Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thank you very much for this game, it's my favourite rebirth entry so far :)

I have two little questions though: how do you beat raptors, and what's the use of the torchman ?

Bye, Magic Sam

it's my favourite rebirth entry so far :)

I have two little questions though: how do you beat raptors, and what's the use of the torchman ?
+1

Raptors, use the land mine, or lots of fire power

Torchman, burns down bushes, this area can then be used for strategic placement of other humanoids.

Hi,

Thank you very much for this game, it's my favourite rebirth entry so far :)

Bye, Magic Sam

To beat raptors you need to use the upgraded spearman you can buy before starting a level.

Torchman can destroy the firepits, so you can put something else in the square.

I can't find the "flying troopers" useful at all...

EDIT: :ph34r: link was too fast... anyway I see we have 2 different strategies... good ;)

The Heli-trogs (flying units) will come into their own soon...

And torchmen have two uses - burning the weeds or to slow down the approach of dinos, by acting as bait! They are essential on later levels.

When I first implemented the raptors they wiped the floor with me. Exactly what i wanted, but i had to tone them down a bit for everyone else. As mentioned above a few enhanced spearmen and porcumines are the best strategy to defeat them.

Out of all the games I've done, this is my absolute fave. I just found myself testing something earlier and playing for over an hour.

I'm glad you're enjoying it too :)

Got my ass kicked on level 1-8 by invisible enemies. Bad .PND, should I redownload as I upgraded from PNDStore?

IIRC Level 8 introduced the new dinos - sounds like their graphic file is missing or corrupt maybe.

It might be worth downloading yesterday's new update - your save files shouldn't be affected. If that fails, then let me know and I'll re-do all the media. This is one of the problems with not owning a machine - I really can't see where things are going wrong. Sorry about that. Mcobit has helped enormously in sorting out .PNDs for me, but I really don't want to keep bothering him (although he has said he's happy to help).

This is exactly, what I meant with, please delete appdatafolder on update.

I bet Link didn't do that and the pnd saw the old graphics file instead of the new one in the new pnd.

Link: just delete the appdata/dinodefense/Media folder (no need to delete the dat file.)

Indeed, that could be the problem. Cheers mcobit.

[EDIT] .ZIP link removed. Update is available from the Repo. :)

I'll better updte it, as I had to chmod +x the executable and I renamed it to dinodefense...

You could just unpack the pnd and updte the changed files, the repack with pndtools or something. Should be safe, if you don't chnge anything pndspecific.

Are we limited with Wolrd 1 right now?

Also, how to unlock the bottom two boxes in world 1? Has anyone managed to do this? Lower left box exits the app. I've had sound die out on me a few times, also have had issues where your heart count goes negative rather than a death sequence.

Afraid so, it's just one world for now.

The two locked boxes at the very bottom of the stage select screen will be Worlds 2 and 3 . Although they (probably) won't be here in the full game (they'll be in the screen before) and there might even be a world 4. I've got ideas for all of them and a few more. If you were able to access these worlds, then they'd be rather empty and not worth visiting, as I haven't done any levels or background graphics for them yet. Designing the levels is easy, filling them with old and new, varied and interesting dinos and making them challenging is the hard part and takes the most time. balancing the levels takes numerous play-throughs. I've got at least 4+ more dinos I want to add (excluding three I've designed and drawn already).

The exiting when clicking on the World 1 box is an old artifact - it was done for testing purposes that I forgot to remove.

I'll investigate the negative heart situation - probably me being stupid and coding "IF men=0 THEN ..." rather than "IF MEN<=0 THEN ..." If this is the case then it's likely to happen if two dinos pass your defences at the same time. Maybe. I've not seen that myself, but it sounds like something that I would miss!

[EDIT] Fixed both of those issues (negative lives and exiting).

Don't know about the sound. It's not something I can even investigate at the moment.

So the question is, do people actually want to play in more worlds? ;) :D

In short yes please.

Thanks for the clarified explanation. I just wanted to give some feedback and am hoping for more worlds.

I've started on World 2.

I've made quite a few bug fixes and improvements too (fixing silly things like rocks and heli-trogs turning into normal cavemen after beating levels etc.) The volcano in the background is a bit more active now too.

I've also started to implement achievements into the game. Some may like them, others may not, however I enjoy obtaining Achievements on the XBox360 and Trophies on PS3. To accomodate this, the save game profiles have changed again, so players will have to start from sratch. It's not ideal, but I think the new system will enhance the game and its replay factor.

Wasn't the "star" system already a sort of achievements ? I replayed many levels just to have all the stars, but I don't know what was their function.

The stars were a reward system for completing each level, depending on how many lives and units you saved and/or lost. You never really got anything from them before, other than the satisfaction of knowing that you completed a level with three stars.

Back